Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to launch new mobile service: SBP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

They will have to make an amazing offer to get my or most people's attention. If it's the same price as meteor then everyone will just go with meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

will they not rebrand it to eircom over a period of time like when eircell changed to vodafone?

meteor -> meteor by eircom -> eircom's meteor -> eircom mobile(tm) formerly known as meteor -> eircom mobile -> Babcock & Brown mobile -> Harvey Norman mobile

i suppose it will mean yearly increases in line rental and access fees as they try to make up for losses due to voice over IP. we have sort of been seeing this already with the recent connection fee hike

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dont see how these are going to make money, tesco mobile was over 7 million in deficit on there last accounts. Another crowd is to launch a MVNO aswell in October branded as just mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

all very strange. i don't know where they think the market is for this but i'm sure we'll see in time. i guess from eircoms point of view they already have their own mvno for business customers so won't require too much extra training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

will they not rebrand it to eircom over a period of time like when eircell changed to vodafone?

Huh ? Eircell changed to vodafone because Eircom sold it to them.

To me it just looks like another MVNO, I cannot see Meteor changing its name to Eircom considering Eircom have owned them for over 5 years, would of happened by now.

Eircom Mobile is already in operation as an MVNO, meteor transferred all there business customers to eircom mobile over the last year so maybe its something that will be aimed at businesses / corporate users, or more sophisticated individuals unlike meteor products that would be more appealing to a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well they need to get PAYG first ;)

Davy wrote: »
    Dont see how these are going to make money, tesco mobile was over 7 million in deficit on there last accounts. Another crowd is to launch a MVNO aswell in October branded as just mobile

Hold on a second there. Another MVNO called "mobile"???? Are you serious??
    What is up with all of these crap MVNO's. Tesco mobile is the only proper one e.g They are always upgrading ( 3G, more roaming countries, can now top up in YQ machines, amazingly competitive rates, amazing international rates and a new bunch of 3G phones coming out this September) Tesco are really becoming like a proper network like Meteor or O2. (They just need to get Bill pay) There even advertising to let people know. What has post phone done????? Nobody even knows of them. If your going to make an mvno make it a fully fledged
    network from the start. Tesco where one of those bad MVNO's back when they came out but at least they are making a load of upgrades. And where do they think the market exists for them??? If they even have a chance of getting a part of the market they are going to have to be brilliant.
    Ps. Is there any link to an article that talks about this new "mobile" service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stuartk

Here's a link to the 'teaser' website for JUST Mobile www.justmobile.ie

It's a PAYG mobile network, over 70% of the market is PAYG anyway.

The fact is we're still getting ripped off here compared to other mobile markets in Europe especially prepay users. Biggest monthly spend out of all EU countries, and it's not because we talk and text more than everybody else!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i like their website ;) and agree WE ARE GETTING RIPPED OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

as my management lecturer said "The RULE of Thumb" = charge what you can get away with...

thats what their doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Wonder if it'll be like GiffGaff in the UK?
    That'd be nice.

After looking at their website I think it looks great.
    Since they are an MVNO wonder which network they are hoping on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

stuartk wrote: »
    Here's a link to the 'teaser' website for JUST Mobile www.justmobile.ie

It's a PAYG mobile network, over 70% of the market is PAYG anyway.

The fact is we're still getting ripped off here compared to other mobile markets in Europe especially prepay users. Biggest monthly spend out of all EU countries, and it's not because we talk and text more than everybody else!
    I lived in France recently, I used Bouygtel (by far their cheapest Payg network) - If I topped up by €10 all calls were 25c and texts were 10c, but my credit expired after 8 days. I could extend this to 15 days but calls were now 50c and texts 20c (this was a pretty standard all networks rate)

Certainly didn't feel like I was being ripped off when i moved back to Meteor payg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

do we need another mvno tesco and postphone is two 2many, 3 will hardly let an mvno in on their 3G bandwidth and meteor have their hands full with Eircom.
    So that leaves the 02 & Voda, who already are sharing with mvno's, will another mvno on either of their networks be able to add any more value seen as their existing mvno's don't.

Im going to put my money on 02 being behind this, justmobile on the o2 network, I can already see the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement