Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-off (Guinness) Ireland

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

From the Sunday Business Post.
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent.
    http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/diageo-cuts-drink-prices-for-aviva-bars-51099.html

At €132 a keg that translates into circa €1.50/pint at circa 92-93 pints in a keg and allowing for waste etc. Remind your publican of that the next time he asks you to pay €4+ a pint!

Plus as exhibited by this example Diageo are charging circa 33% more in Ireland than they are for exports to the UK! Is that not abusing a market dominance position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Consider these factors;

- Usual differences in VAT/Minimum Wage/Duties
    - Paying for a licence
    - Public Liability Insurance
    - Entertainment
    - Sky Sports Subs [this is way in excess of what the homeowner pays too afaik - somewhere near €1000+ I think]

Granted they are overheads that a lot of businesses will have but I can see from the point of view of rural pubs where the owner might just be getting by. Not condoning the price of a pint at all - it is too high but I'd welcome something in the line of more offers - 3 for €10 and that type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its great when people throw something into a forum without thinking.

#1 - the €4 the publican chages INCLUDES vat, so the publican gets 3.30 (70c is VAT)

#2 - Water rates for an average pub are about €10,000 per year.

#3 - staff are paid a minimum of €9.31 per hour. Qualified barmen are paid a lot more.

#4 - The publican has to heat the premises which is costly

#5 the publican has to pay rates on the premises

#5 the publican has to supply glasses, insurance, music, sky tv (very expensive for pubs)

#6 many pubs are leased and there's rent to be paid too on top of everything else.

Of course if you think there's easy money in the pub trade, buy one / lease one yourself. There are HUNDREDS of leases on the market.

btw - price to publican in UK including UK duty is approx €117.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the OP was mainly concerned with diageos pricing policy-not the pubs.

Drink beamish if you want a cheaper stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

91011 wrote: »
    Its great when people throw something into a forum without thinking.

Of course if you think there's easy money in the pub trade, buy one / lease one yourself. There are HUNDREDS of leases on the market.

You realy jumped in here. Post something without thinking eh? ;)
    The OP didn't claim that the pub trade was easy.

They were highlighted the high prices from Diageo that Irish owners had to deal with it.

If anything, the OP is showing the difficult conditions that pub owners deal with

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rubadub wrote: »
    I think the OP was mainly concerned with diageos pricing policy-not the pubs..

Really, his post doesn't really read like that?
    Remind your publican of that the next time he asks you to pay €4+ a pint!

Surely if his issue is with Diageo then he'd be urging people to complaint to them instead of the lad behind the counter. :rolleyes:

Its clear the OP has no understanding on what's actually involved in running a pub, most people don't tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

You realy jumped in here. Post something without thinking eh? ;)
    The OP didn't claim that the pub trade was easy.

They were highlighted the high prices from Diageo that Irish owners had to deal with it.

If anything, the OP is showing the difficult conditions that pub owners deal with

But the OP didn't think of any of the costs involved or the way different markets work. - and neither did the journalist who tried to create a story out of nothing and exagerate the differentce (quoting ex duty prices in UK against inclusive duty price in Ireland and using a rosey exchange rate)

In Ireland guinness provide a full service to nearly every pub inthe country to ensure the pint is near perfect.

In the UK, the product is just delivered to the pub and the owner of the pub (usually a huge company or other brewery) does all the servicing of the equipment.

At the end of the day its August - there is nothing newsworthy happening, so pages are filled with utter sh1te, noin stories and exaggerated claims. - If you want media publicity for anything, thius is the month to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Have you ever tasted a pint of Guiness in the UK???? Bleugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Have you ever tasted a pint of Guiness in the UK???? Bleugh.

Even worse, try drinking one in Australia!
    Ordered a pint in the steine hotel, Manly NSW a few years back.
    Fizzy Guinness! :eek:By god it doesn't travel well!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gucky wrote: »
    Fizzy Guinness!
    They were probably using the wrong gas, just the regular CO2 gas for lagers, not the nitrogen/CO2 mix used here. The big "auld lad" bottles of guinness have no nitrogen so are just as fizzy as normal beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

Even worse, try drinking one in Australia!
    Ordered a pint in the steine hotel, Manly NSW a few years back.
    Fizzy Guinness! :eek:By god it doesn't travel well!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Guinness in Oz was a big no-go although it was quite tasty in NZ!! :D There are one or two pubs in Sydney who actually import it from there and those would be the places that you would drink it. You wouldn't drink it in too many places nor would you see it being drank in too many places either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Philsopher wrote: »
    There are one or two pubs in Sydney who actually import it from there and those would be the places that you would drink it.

Any names? Heading to Sydney soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

eightyfish wrote: »
    Any names? Heading to Sydney soon.

Scruffy murphys Sydney city centre
    Pj O'Briens

Two I can think off that do bulmers, Tayto etc, didn't try the Guinness though as they sold Coopers sparkling ale!!!:D

Scruffy murphys Sydney city centre
    Pj O'Briens

Two I can think off that do bulmers, Tayto etc, didn't try the Guinness though as they sold Coopers sparkling ale!!!:D

Do not drink Guinness in Scruffy's - that place should come with a health warning!! I'll put to ya like this, it's basically the Quinn's of Sydney (except it's open 24/7): constant smell of stale p*** and stale beer - and the fresh beer tastes the same! It wouldn't be great in PJ's either, you wouldn't see many (if any) drinking it in there.

The best pint of Guinness in Sydney would be a pub called The Welcome in Balmain, just 10 mins from city centre. The Guinness is excellent, probably because they import it from NZ. Good food as well and live music most weekends in the afternoon. If you're there in October, make sure you attend the halfway to Paddy's Day celebrations ;) Here's their website: www.thewelcomehotel.com/

The other place I'd recommend is Durty Nelly's in Surrey Hills. Nice pints, nice food and you'll always meet someone in there to chat and have the craic with. More a place to go for food, G.A.A. matches, special occassions etc. than a wild night out as it closes early and can be a bit out of the way in terms of going to/leaving and other late night spots. Check them out here: http://www.durtynellyssydney.com.au/

To be honest though, I stuck to the Aussie beers most of the time. When in Rome and all that... Tried Guinness in a few other places but those two places would be the only ones I would recommend. Unless you fancy being put off the good stuff for life?? :pac:

If you're there in October, make sure you attend the halfway to Paddy's Day celebrations ;)

Thanks. I am and I probably will.
    G.A.A. matches

Just a question on this. I don't follow GAA, but I do follow League of Ireland (for my sins). It's usually on RTE/Setanta Ireland. I presume there's no way to watch it in a pub over there?

Thanks. I am and I probably will.

When you're on the far side of the world and have the odd thought of home, 12 hours of very tasty home made Irish food, live music and the best Guinness in Sydney is always going to be appreciated! :D What's seldom....

Just a question on this. I don't follow GAA, but I do follow League of Ireland (for my sins). It's usually on RTE/Setanta Ireland. I presume there's no way to watch it in a pub over there?

Yeah, loads of pubs show a lot of sport on Setanta. However, League of Ireland might not be a big crowd puller. I'd say your best bet would be Paddy Maguire's or Cheers (both on George's Street, the main street in Sydney, about a minutes walk apart). Scruffy's (in the middle of the other two pubs) have a big blackboard "menu" beside their front door displaying all the games in all codes that they will be showing live during that week and update it every Monday. Keep an eye on that as you're walking past. If it was G.A.A. or the Premier League you'd have no problem watching or following it but I don't know about League of Ireland. Your best bet would be ask around. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

No worries that's loads of help, thanks.

/OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Did any of ye read the arcticle? :D

Just look athe the last bit
    A spokeswoman for Diageo Ireland said: ‘‘Diageo does not comment on confidential agreements between customers and ourselves." Diageo is understood to have informed the Licensed Vintners’ Association that Guinness prices in Ireland will rise again next year.

Guinness when threatened with competition reduces the prices in order to keep sales. Just look at how easily they did it.

Now as we know the LVA is a powerful lobby, why don't they threathen to withdraw Guinness in response to constanty rising prices by Diageo??

They could easily switch to Beamish which has the might of Heineken behind them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Do not drink Guinness in Scruffy's - that place should come with a health warning!! I'll put to ya like this, it's basically the Quinn's of Sydney (except it's open 24/7): constant smell of stale p*** and stale beer - and the fresh beer tastes the same! It wouldn't be great in PJ's either, you wouldn't see many (if any) drinking it in there.

The best pint of Guinness in Sydney would be a pub called The Welcome in Balmain, just 10 mins from city centre. The Guinness is excellent, probably because they import it from NZ. Good food as well and live music most weekends in the afternoon. If you're there in October, make sure you attend the halfway to Paddy's Day celebrations ;) Here's their website: www.thewelcomehotel.com/

The other place I'd recommend is Durty Nelly's in Surrey Hills. Nice pints, nice food and you'll always meet someone in there to chat and have the craic with. More a place to go for food, G.A.A. matches, special occassions etc. than a wild night out as it closes early and can be a bit out of the way in terms of going to/leaving and other late night spots. Check them out here: http://www.durtynellyssydney.com.au/

To be honest though, I stuck to the Aussie beers most of the time. When in Rome and all that... Tried Guinness in a few other places but those two places would be the only ones I would recommend. Unless you fancy being put off the good stuff for life?? :pac:

Cheers for the info, dont suppose you know if the Bulmers is expensive. I presume it is if its imported.

Advertisement