Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

failed suspension test on nct! help

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

this may sound like a realy stupid question but.......my car was for the nct yesterday ( 05 skoda octivea) and failed due to suspension on driver side. Is this just a shock or could it be something else?? I know someone who will put in a new shock for me but don't want to get a new shock and it turns out to be something else!!
    any advice would be appreciated!
    thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Best advice is to get it checked by a mechanic who will tell you exactly what is wrong with it and what is required to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Did they not explain exactly what the problem was when they gave you the report at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

They usually mark the failed part with a blodge of yellow wax marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

It should also be marked on the nct print out. If it is a shock they should be replaced in pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

An easy way to test your suspension is to press down on the front of your car hard a few times and let go. If the car takes more than 1-2 oscillations before stopping, the suspension is gone and needs to be replaced.
    Another way of knowing you need new suspension is when you break, the front end dips down significantly.
    And a visual way is by checking the shock and see if there's any oil leaking out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

make sure the tyre pressures in both sides are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash2007

:) thanks everybody, think i will give my mechanic a call...better let him sort it out for me!

Advertisement