Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Releigh Metro

• 16-08-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting myself a new hybrid bike on the cycle to work scheme, but I do not know too much about the hardware side of things.
    Looking in the shop last week, the one which I felt suited me best was the Raleigh Metro 23 inch mens. It's €399. I could afford to go another couple of hundred if I thought I would be getting bang for my buck in terms of reliability and so on.
    What I saw for another couple hundred euros seemed to be much the same bike, but lighter!! I'm not short on strength and consider the Metro to be a feather;), so paying €€€ for extra lightness does not do much for me.
    What do you guys think of the Metro.
    I'm planning about 1 hours use per day, basically to help keep a reasonably fit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I have a 2007 Raleigh Metro LX also labeled (pioneer airlite).
    Mine seems very similar to the 2010 except that mine has a more horizontal top tube.
    A great bike and great value for the 300 Euro I paid for it new.
    Its not light at approx 12Kilos but came with quality extras like the rear carrier/rack, shock absorber in the seat post, a decent pair of mudguards, free helmet and bar end grips(I love these).
    I have lots of miles on it and no trouble apart from the bottom bracket bearing cages failing twice in the first 5,000Km. This may have been my own fault as I rode it through flood waters and used the big ring more than I should. Eventually upgraded it to sealed bearings which are still OK.
    Shimano shifters and tourney rear derailer work well and havent needed much adjustment.
    Overall, a nice looking commuter bike, very comfortable to ride due to saddle/seatpost and fat tyres. Brakes on mine are good and 36 spoke aero rim wheels look great and have proven to be very strong.
    Should be ideal for 1 hour commute.

PS: I did a quick search of online bike shops, and there seems to be quite a difference in specification and price for that model. Shop around and look online. It could be cheaper even without the BTWS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I have a 2007 Raleigh Metro LX also labeled (pioneer airlite).
    Mine seems very similar to the 2010 except that mine has a more horizontal top tube.
    A great bike and great value for the 300 Euro I paid for it new.
    Its not light at approx 12Kilos but came with quality extras like the rear carrier/rack, shock absorber in the seat post, a decent pair of mudguards, free helmet and bar end grips(I love these).
    I have lots of miles on it and no trouble apart from the bottom bracket bearing cages failing twice in the first 5,000Km. This may have been my own fault as I rode it through flood waters and used the big ring more than I should. Eventually upgraded it to sealed bearings which are still OK.
    Shimano shifters and tourney rear derailer work well and havent needed much adjustment.
    Overall, a nice looking commuter bike, very comfortable to ride due to saddle/seatpost and fat tyres. Brakes on mine are good and 36 spoke aero rim wheels look great and have proven to be very strong.
    Should be ideal for 1 hour commute.

PS: I did a quick search of online bike shops, and there seems to be quite a difference in specification and price for that model. Shop around and look online. It could be cheaper even without the BTWS.

Thanks Victorcarrera.

Yes, the one I am looking at comes with mudguards, rear carrier and helmet. Probably would save some € by buying online, but will give my little business to the local guy who stocks and repairs etc,. He has a good reputation. I like to have a "go to guy", with problems.
    Think I will just go with this bike and add the extras such as lighting, and clothing.

Advertisement