Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing site !

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

As we approach end of new home build we are faced with fencing issue. House is on approx 0.8 acre site but part of a huge field. We need to boundary fence it all along the back and one side. Any ideas and recommendations as to what best to use.Heights vary as site goes back. We are in Mayo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I'd recommend post and rail, looks well and a hedge can be planted up to it to give you privacy from the field over time.

However there are a number of considerations that could mitigate against this
    • Livestock/pets
    • Budget
    • Wind exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I recently had a boundary fence put up around my site (0.55 acre).

I put post and rail across the front and I put concrete post and chainlink fence around sides and back to give a bit more protection/security from animals etc.. I will have a hedge all around so it will all be covered in a few years...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Mike2006 wrote: »
    I recently had a boundary fence put up around my site (0.55 acre).

I put post and rail across the front and I put concrete post and chainlink fence around sides and back to give a bit more protection/security from animals etc.. I will have a hedge all around so it will all be covered in a few years...

Mike.

I think this is a good system... Only thing I'd say is that cattle can break the concrete posts by scratching/rubbing on them... A strand of electric fence on the cattle side would be prudent to prevent it happening...

Also a hedge of native species on the house side will look most natural over time...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with bham, regardless of what kind of fence you put up, if there are animals in the field, put up an electric fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sandy76

I'd recommend post and rail, looks well and a hedge can be planted up to it to give you privacy from the field over time.

However there are a number of considerations that could mitigate against this
    • Livestock/pets
    • Budget
    • Wind exposure

Thanks to you all for your "posts" :)

There are sheep from time to time in the field that our site was part of. We have no pets, well not yet anyway.

Budget is tight as one might expect at the end of a housebuild.....

House is West facing at the rear (the garden runs to 50m behind the house so no real wind exposure issues). North boundary has existing hedge and ditch and we put a wall along the front. Main exposure issue is south boundary to left of house which is only 4m from sunroom and rear patio area. Have thought about a stretch of pre cast concrete walls along a stretch of 10 or 15m at the patio area that slide into concrete rails - but timber may have to do for the moment....

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sandy76 wrote: »
    Have thought about a stretch of pre cast concrete walls along a stretch of 10 or 15m at the patio area that slide into concrete rails - but timber may have to do for the moment....

Concrete pre-cast walls would look like a factory at best !! :eek:
    Timber panels will be cheaper, asthetically more appealing and if you plant a good hedge behind them, by the time the timber requires replacing the hedge will take over the shelter..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

i did mine last year. 150M used 4 inch posts and 3 rails, cost of timber was about 1400 ,

West timber in Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Like you we had to erect a stock fence as sheep are often in the field that we were once part of. An L shape stock fence 35 metres by 80 metres cost €700. We then eventually planted native hedging.... Whitehorn & Feld maple sprinkled with Holly.

Yours

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Hiya Secman,
    That hedging sounds really nice. Was it expensive ( how big were the plants when you got them ), how fast did it come up for you, how often did you put in a holly and is there a lot of maintenance .
    Lots of questions but defo sounds like something that might work for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Cattle are bad but horses are worse. Definitely put in an electrified strand if there are horses, otherwise you will quite likely never have a hedge. They will reach over and pull the slips, I'm convinced it's for divilment as they wont eat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Pinky,

Initially had a lot of problem with trying to keep weeds at bay whilst the hedge was very immature. We planted saplings and because of the weed issue it has only really taken off this year. We bit the bullet back in spring and cleaned out all the scrub, cut the hedge back hard and then put down a layer of bark to supress weeds, this has worked a treat, the hedge has really come on this year.

The costs were as follows:

Coillte - bought the saplings there- bulk price, can't remember, think they worked out @ 65cent a pop
    Labour- 2 men for a day @€;75 each

This year a lot of hard graft by mise and her indoors scrubbing out and we used 3 1 ton bags of bark @ €70 a ton . Have to say that we should have done this sooner.

Secman

Advertisement