Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS 2004 Scenery/Add on new and removing old.

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi there, I tried looking for something on boards to do with PC games and in particular Flight Sim. This was the nearest I could get to the subject with the games forum mainly to do with Xbox n' Playstation. Maybe there's a PC pilot on here that can help.

I recently installed new scenery for FS 2004, (mainly new airport and city scenery). However the problem is getting rid of the old scenery and replacing it with the new one. I recently got updated scenery for DUB inc the new T2. However the old terminal buildings seem to lap over the new ones (so I have 2 Pier A's, 2 pier B's and a pier D that seems to clash with the old central apron stands) Also I have aircraft taxing on the grass (if there ever was a sight at DUB!). Vancouver Int Airport is another one I got with the new International Terminal now out on the grass area of the old scenery near the Northern Runway. There are also 2 control towers, last time I was physically in Vancouver there was 1!

Is there something I am missing with this? Funny though Orlando and JFK it doesnt seem to be a problem. I thought that adding the new scenery would automatically overlap the old files. Any help with this it would be great...cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

I haven't bean near flight sim for a while,so I'm a bit rusty.

Firstly, I presume there is no scenery of the dublin area that you previously installed.If there is you need to remove it (I presume you know about scenery.cfg and the scenery library).

If it's default scenery, then the scenery you installed should have a scenery exclude section.Check the installation readme.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Can you switch off the default dublin in the scenery libray? Or make sure the new scenery you installed is above the default scenery in the scenery library list?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Thanks guys for the responses. My scenery files are bit strange to say the least. Most of the European airports are split into 2 folders holding scenery files, one folder is EURW (west) the other is EURE (east). The only direct airport scenery files I have are these.. in the cities folder. Amsterdam, Anchorage, Atlanta, Dallas, Heathrow, Las Vegas, Heathrow, New York, Hong Kong, Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Paris, San Fran, Sydney Tokyo and Hong Kong. I was thinking of creating a new folder for Dublin in here, but I need to find out the old Dub scenery files which are in EURW to delete them. The files in here start with AB, FL or HP then a number iE AP145170.BGL. No indication of dub scenery though I'm sure they are there. Getting into this too intensively, is it worth it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I mean within the games menu options there are scenery library settings, not in the files/folders of FS2004 itself.

Ahh I see what you mean. Though it won't allow me to untick default scenery (under enabled), it says AREA DEFAULT SCENERY REQUIRED AND CANNOT BE TURNED OFF. I can untick the Western Europe one though. On right there is an option to empty CD-ROM scenery on exit, dunno what that does.

• Advertisement

Nah still not working. I untick the Western Europe (enabled box) and the airport is gone except the runways. I moved the Add on scenery to the top priority with the default at the bottom. No luck. Still see the older buildings on top of the new. I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

You need to generate an exclude bgl file.This will exclude the scenery in the area where the new scenery is going to be (e.g around Dublin).
    Some freeware scenery design programs will generate one for you.

Some problem sending messages on this privately... SKnight.

Hi M, thanks for your response. Yea the DUB scenery is from Eirsim. I downloaded the main file but didnt download the updates underneath it. I tried everything messing around with the scenery library but nothing. The old terminal buildings still show beside the new ones. The FS 2005 Traffic park on the Central Apron stands so I have a BE Dash 8 sticking half in and out of Pier D! Yet the apron shows stand markings going around Pier D. I rem the FS 98 you could change the scenery from dense to sparse and this would take out some of the terminal buildings, usually the piers, making them more or less basic in appearance. Some reason it doesnt on FS04.

The Vancouver scenery is from Fly Away Simulation which is a subscription service but the downloads are free, you might be aware of it.

What I tend to do is take the scenery files (copy them from lets say the EIDW09 then bring them over to EURW scenery files and paste them in there) I do the same with the texture files. I must be leaving out some exclusion file that gets rid of the default scenery.

Duno what could be going wrong. Strange though the Orlando and JFK scenery there is no overlap. Maybe it's because they have their own city files. (Only a list of main cities have their own scenery, ie London LHR and JFK, Tokyo as well) Trouble is there are so many files under North America west/Europe West (looking for DUB and Vancouver) that I don't want to take out the wrong file. If only it was simple. Cheers again for the help.

No havn't created an exclude BGL file. Going to try on Fly Away Sim see if they have it. Further help on this warmly welcome! Thanks guys.

Advertisement