Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weak hands after cycle holiday

• 16-08-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just back from a cycling holiday, averaging about 100km a day for three weeks. All body parts in working order except for my hands which are working in fairness to them but are quite weak, expecially the right thumb and little finger (e.g. texting with right thumb is slow, washing my face at the end of the day a week or so ago and poor exhausted little finger hanging a bit uselessly and poking my eye!). I figure that a combination of bouncing along sometimes poor surfaces and regularly changing gears mean my hands have just taken a beating and will be right as rain soon but ... is this common and can anyone suggest any exercises or tricks I can use to get the strength back?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

I had a similar problem after touring for a week on flat bars. I'd say at this stage you're hands just need a rest more than strengthening, so stay off your bike, stop txting and washing yourself for a few days :) Then if they're still weak have look around the web.. something like these perhaps : http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8117950/hand-exercises-hand-strengthening-hand-rehabil.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That you're complaining about the fingers at either extreme, it's possible you've done a little bit of nerve damage along the very bottom of your palm - the bit that spends most of its time on the bars.

I would take a few days off the bike and avoid doing anything which puts weight on that area - e.g. push-ups - and it should work itself out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had similar with my little finger after a long distance. It may go away in a few days, I heard from some who said it takes a year or more, that is, if it is the nerve damage.

The key to avoid the nerve damage, either Handlebar Palsy or Carpel Tunel or both, is to change handlebar position regularly as the damage is caused by nerve compression to the best of my knowledge. Also wear good, padded gloves at all times on the bike.

Either way though, if it continues for more than a few days, or indeed gets worse, go to a doctor, advise from the internet is sometimes informative but without an actual physical examination by a doctor, important signs for other possible problems could be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Sounds like you may have damaged the Ulnar nerve (supplies little finger) and Median nerve (supplies thumb) on your right hand.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm

If you have a finger which is still not working normally... professional medical advice would be an excellent idea as well as avoiding anything which stresses the nerves further. So stay off the bike until things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like it's a bit of nerve damage alright as weakness is a symptom, I never realised that hand injuries were so common in cycling and always thought that cycling gloves were purely for grip. Hmmm, the things I don't know about cycling are really starting to outweigh the things that I do know.
    Anyway, first thing is rest, if that doesn't sort it then professional help and definitely gloves from now on.
    Thanks again for the responses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement