Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glueing cylinders to flats

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on some awkward glueing.

I need to stick wooden spools (as in thread spools) to flat timber ... on their side.

wooden+spools.jpg

Obviously the spools are cylindrical and to further complicate things they have a lip at either end reducing the contact area.

I can't imagine what it might be, but does anyone have any advice on the best way to achieve this? Other than trying to cut/file the lips down to increase the surface area I can't think of anything.

Its a display piece so the joining of the two pieces should be as unobtrusive/invisible as possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if u could flatten the curve any bit at all it would help greatly.

It will help keep them in place once u glue them.

Depending on the spacing between the reels the 'flatness' may not be seen.

For gluing I would recommend the 2 part epoxy type glues: they are awesome. if u are in North Dublin there is a motor factors place near Denis Mahony's in Kilbarrick which carries a wide range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

how about drilling a tiny hole where it will be fixed in both places and cut a panel pin in the hole and expoxy it all together then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

drill a hole through the timber backing and screw the spools to the board from the rear no glue and they will never fall of

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

yes, I'd screw from the back if possible.,.. if not then I'd flatten the spools on a belt sander, by holding the spools, watching your fingers, and with the belt sander held by a jig or a helper. You could try a different type of sander but it'd be harder.

The panel pin or a narrow dowel would greatly help with the adhesion... and then using a two part, thin glue, not the putty type, something like Araldyte, or even super glue perhaps, at a stretch..

You could tie the spools on, this might suit the design...

Advertisement