Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copyright question Grand Canal Square

• 16-08-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

If I wish to sell photos of Grand Canal Square on stock websites, do I need to get a property release? Can't seem to find an answer to this anywere.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I would suggest contacting the developers for an answer to this as it is private property.

http://www.charteredland.ie/grandcanalsquare.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I really don't see why you would need any type of release. Just bang away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Might be better just to get confirmation, last thing you'll need is to get into trouble over stock photos you sold ages ago and forgot about... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

9/10 times I'd agree. The one tenth is when it will affect my bank balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

Arciphel wrote: »
    I really don't see why you would need any type of release. Just bang away ;)

So I did, but here is what stock site said:
    Please provide a focused description for the work of art featured in this image. Aim to describe the artwork as well as possible (the artist, date of creation, location, etc). Works of art created by someone other than yourself must be free of copyright protection to be considered royalty-free.

In your description, please include any valuable information regarding the artist/ownership of the original artwork that will assist us in determining that the work of art is not subject to copyright protection. Make sure that your description is clear, helpful and targeted to the client who may be interested in your image (and not to the inspector).

If this work of art is indeed under copyright protection, a property release signed by the copyright holder will need to be provided. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

if you were on private property (Grand Canal area is as far as I know, even the public access areas) you will need a property release but if you can shoot from a public area then none is needed. This is as far as Irish Law goes but it varies in different countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

If you took the pictures from Ringsend Rd or Macken Street they can suck your pipe.

Why do people seek issues?

Snap snap fight the crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Satellite images. Ever heard of a property owner suing Google or any other purveyor of such images? Google street view.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Satellite images. Ever heard of a property owner suing Google or any other purveyor of such images? Google street view.

Satellite images are not taken on the property - They're taken of the property.

And as far as I know, Street View stuck to public roads too, unless permission was granted to access and photograph an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Fajitas! wrote: »

And as far as I know, Street View stuck to public roads too, unless permission was granted to access and photograph an area.

Yep... you can take pictures from any public area and be legit, but if you're on private ground (which Grand Canal Square is) you have to get permission. (this is broadly speaking the way the law works, it does get more tricky when you bring into account reasonable expectation of privacy -so you technically can't stand on the street and photograph into someones bedroom if they were getting changed with the curtains open).

Also note however, that some sneaky feckers can also copyright the facade of a building (if it's modern enough not to have passed into the public domain), like SNTE did with the Eiffel Tower's lighting display -yup, it's not legal to publish current photographs of the Eiffel Tower at night without permission, even if you're an amateur! (though they really only exercise that right if there's a commercial use going on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fajitas! wrote: »

I was addressing the thread title and the idea that the owners of a property might have a say over images taken of it.

Advertisement