Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about getting a driving licence on a WHV

Options
  • 16-08-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

No idea if its even possible but I figured you fine people would guide me in the right direction. Heading out to Melbourne next month for a couple of years.

I've no Irish licence at all ( could maybe have time to lash in a quick theory test over here and grab my provisional before I go if it was going to make any difference to things Oz side ), 24 years old if age is a big factor in what you can and can't do. So is it possible to:

A. get a licence in Oz on a WHV without being a permanent resident.

B. What restrictions are there on new drivers over there ( in terms of having a qualified driver with you at all times? )

C. are those restrictions actually enforced unlike Ireland?

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

its all here

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourLs/Howtogetyourcarlearnerpermit.htm

This might be of interest

Can I get a learner permit?
    You must be at least 16 years of age and a Victorian resident to be eligible to apply for a learner permit. You will need to pass a car learner permit test at a Vicroads Customer Service Centre

Not sure if that means you have to be a resident or not.

They are pretty strict on traffic down here, no way will you be driving around on your own until you get your P plates.

Would have been easy enough to transfer your licence over to Aussie one, that is if you had an Irish or British one.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

You don't need to be a permanent resident to get a driver's licence, the "resident" bit applies in the same way that it does when you're claiming to be a resident for tax purposes. If you came over here with no licence you'd have to take the learner permit test to first qualify you for L plates, and they're a lot more strict over here with regards to driving on your own on Ls than they would ever be at home.
    If you came over with a provisional licence you wouldn't fare a whole lot better as you'd just end up skipping the learner permit test bit (afaik) but you'd just get your Irish provisional licence swapped for a learners permit over here.
    Depending on your age group, not sure of the actual brackets, you have to hold your Learners Permit for a certain length of time before you can take your first test, but if you pass this test you don't end up with a full licence straight away but instead go onto a Probationary Licence (commonly called P plates over here) which have less restrictions than the learners permit but still do have some restrictions. Once you pass a test at the end of your p-plate period (not sure how long that is either!), you then get your full licence.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

When are you 25? It makes a big difference in QLD and NSW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

there was a time when you could swap an Irish Provisional for a full Aussie licence, I knw 'someone' ;) who did that in Perth about 8 Years ago. no Idea what the rules are like now tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

there was a time when you could swap an Irish Provisional for a full Aussie licence, I knw 'someone' ;) who did that in Perth about 8 Years ago. no Idea what the rules are like now tho

That was because the Irish learners permit used to say "provisional license" on it and over here the provisional license is the one you are given when you have passed your test and are waiting for them to send out your full license. I think the new Irish learners permit / provisional licenses say learners permit on them now so you can’t get away with it anymore.

I'm looking into getting my bike license over here now apparently Victoria is the easiest place to get it in Australia. I need to get a day off work to take the written test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement