Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointed in Duncannon Sand Sculptures

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Went down to Duncannon to see the sand sculptures.

Total disappointment

Small tent that you had to pay into.

Nothing else at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

It was the same last year its a bit micky mouse to be honest but i suppose they do there best under the circumstances. at least the weather was good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mobby wrote: »
    It was the same last year its a bit micky mouse to be honest but i suppose they do there best under the circumstances. at least the weather was good.:D

Under what circumstances? A lack of sand?:) Didn't make it there myself but it seems a lot of stuff around the county this year turned out a bit meh.
    Heres a few pics of decent sand sculptures to cheer everyone up.

560409781_a4edfdfb32.jpg?v=0
    md1hub.jpg
    sand-sculpture-pic-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I was dissapointed too. The Contestants / Kids on the beach, did their best but I was expecting "international" competition - maybe a few experts like zerks photo's.

I've no idea what the quality was like in the plastic tunnel - didn't pay in. There was a large que but I doubt there was anything spectacular.

Duncannon is a lovely village, nice beach, so it was a great day out. Went to the Hook afterwards, it was a beautiful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I did pay into the tunnel and thought it was really good. Not huge but very good. Two things to note before I go any further: 1) I'm not local to the immediate area & 2) I'm not connected, in any way, with the festival.

What you've got to remember is that sculptors need to be paid, fireworks need to be bought, promotional material needs to be printed, etc. It appears to me that the entry into the tent is the main means of raising that money, sponsorship aside.

This year the sun was splitting the stones, the beach was full and (hopefully) they got a good crowd through, so made a good bit. On any August weekend it is just as, or more, likely to be piddling rain and blowing a gale, with only a handful of people around.

If the volunteer committee put in a huge investment and lost it all with poor attendance, it'd never make it round to the next year's festival. That'd be no good for the village. As it was, there was a huge crowd, there was something for people to do and see and it seemed to me like people were happy in general. So that makes it sound like a success to me.

Unfortunately, no matter what the committee do, there'll always be a photo to download from the net to show how it could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The military display was on in Duncannon about 6 weeks or so ago and afik the local soccer club had an event on the same day as the sand sculpting-it would have made sense to compromise and merge the 3 events,it would have been a bigger draw.I believe something similar was put forward on another thread.
    Not knocking the efforts but it's a bit pointless having 3 small events separately in one area rather than having one big event and attracting a large crowd so everyone benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

Being from the area but missed the festival this year.. i know that the local festival used to take place the start of july but when the sand scultping started this changed as the sand sculptors schedules had to be taken into consideration..

as for the soccer club field day .. there is many different organisations in the area which have fields day throughout the summer months
    Duncannon NS
    St.James' Gaa Club - who still have to have theirs this year
    Ramsgrange ,Shielbaggan & Ballyhack National Schools too

there would be many people who would overlap with helping for the school,soccer,gaa nad even the festival so these things are kept to different weekends..

This the village also had Kite Surfing Weekend the weekend after the Sand Sculpting and it was meant to be a huge success as well as from reports i hear the festival was also a huge success

Advertisement