Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recivied two items instead of one

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

ok i bought an item on ebay last week
    and i received it on Friday and i was happy out

then today i received another item from them for which i never paid for.
    now the seller has sent no messages to me about this.

but i noticed i received an invoice with the second one and not with the first one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Sounds like a seller mistake.

Send it back (seller pays postage) or keep it (can you cope with the moral issues associated with this?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Up to you really. Notify the seller. If they want it back, make sure they pay shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

If its only something small it would probably make no sense to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

can I have the other item? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

zuroph wrote: »
    can I have the other item? :D

do u not wanna know what it is first ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i like surprises!

i have lots of useless items i could give you if you wanna pay the postage

ah yes, but the clue is dunworth WANTED one of these so its probably not useless :)

ah yes, but the clue is dunworth WANTED one of these so its probably not useless :)

one mans junk is another mans treasure as they say .........

the things i dont need may be useful to someone somewhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

delllat wrote: »
    i have lots of useless items i could give you if you wanna pay the postage

I'll throw my ex into the deal if it helps:D

Notify the the seller OP and offer to send it back once they pay postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, the item isn't yours and you are potentially liable for the cost if the seller realises that you have it.

Notify them that you have a duplicate item, and offer to return it to them if they will cover postage.

dudara wrote: »
    OP, the item isn't yours and you are potentially liable for the cost if the seller realises that you have it..

Surely not, wouldnt it be considered unsolicited goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i suppose i will tell them i have it but that is a lot of work that i have to do because they made a mistake.

i hoping they dont want it so i dont have to go get a packet and go to the post office to post it

could i charge them for the packet and time i have to use to get it sent back to them :cool:

Edit: is that true zuroph because i'm not paying for their mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's something in my head alright around unsolicited goods. Can anyone clarify on this?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i suppose i will tell them i have it but that is a lot of work that i have to do because they made a mistake.

i hoping they dont want it so i dont have to go get a packet and go to the post office to post it

could i charge them for the packet and time i have to use to get it sent back to them :cool:

Is it an expensive item?

Yeah there's something in law, you have to notify them and then give them a reasonable chance to recover the goods within a certain time scale.

Sorry I can't for the life of me remember the time scale and act, think I learnt it in Bus Org for the leaving cert back in 95-96, (christ on a bike if ever I made a post to make me feel old!!).

Is it an expensive item?

well it a wireless router and i paid £19.99 plus 5.95 P&P (about 32 euro)

its heavy enough with the adapter in the box so i say postage back would be about 10-15 euro maybe even more

since i only need one would the best option be to just tell the seller.
    i dont really mind sending it back if they pay for it

wireless n or g?

wireless n or g?

N its a d-link Dir-615

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

wireless n or g?

For that price if it's N I'll eat my sock :D
    Edit: oh oh

OP I'd offer to send it back if they send a courier to collect it. Wouldn't be bothered going to the post office to send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ShooterSF wrote: »
    For that price if it's N I'll eat my sock :D
    Edit: oh oh

OP I'd offer to send it back if they send a courier to collect it. Wouldn't be bothered going to the post office to send it back.

Pictures by tomorrow. No clean socks now. Used.

N its a d-link Dir-615

eeek, exactly what I want for my ps3... can i get link to ebayer or something via PM, thats a good price!

eeek, exactly what I want for my ps3... can i get link to ebayer or something via PM, thats a good price!

yep no prob its refurbished tough

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Edit: is that true zuroph because i'm not paying for their mistake

Could you not post it back in the packaging it came in?

If you are posting it back charge them for your time to drop down to the PO, why should you loose out because of their mistake.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Could you not post it back in the packaging it came in?

If you are posting it back charge them for your time to drop down to the PO, why should you loose out because of their mistake.

no sadly can because it was a plastic bag type and was sealed and i just riped it open as i wasn't expecting it

Considering the value they'll more than likely let you keep it but you have to inform them and let the decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dudara wrote: »
    There's something in my head alright around unsolicited goods. Can anyone clarify on this?
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980
    47.—(1) Where—

( a ) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and

( b ) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,

and either—

(i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or

(ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,

then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.

(2) The notice referred to in subsection (1) shall be in writing and shall state—

( a ) the recipient's name and address and the address at which the sender may take possession of the goods (if not the same) and

( b ) that the goods are unsolicited.

(3) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment, in the course of any business, makes a demand for payment, or asserts a present or prospective right to payment for what he knows are unsolicited goods sent to another person with a view to his acquiring them, shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment in the course of any business and with a view to obtaining any payment for what he knows or ought to know are unsolicited goods—

( a ) threatens to bring any legal proceedings,

( b ) places or causes to be placed the name of any person on a list of defaulters or debtors or threatens to do so, or

( c ) invokes or causes to be invoked any other collection procedure or threatens to do so, shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) In this section—
    "acquire" includes hire,
    "send" includes deliver,
    "sender" includes any person on whose behalf or with whose consent the goods are sent and any other person claiming through or under the sender or any such person,
    "unsolicited" means, in relation to goods sent to any person, that they are sent without any prior request by him or on his behalf.

can someone explain that to me

i have contacted the seller and told them i have no problem if they want it back as long as they send a courier out to collect the it at no cost to me

will update when i get a response

i have contacted the seller and told them i have no problem if they want it back as long as they send a courier out to collect the it at no cost to me

will update when i get a response

from a quick read, you have to tell them you have the goods, within 5 months of recieving them, and if they dont claim them back by the end of 6 months, where you give them reasonable opportunity to, they're yours.

However, the first bit, where they sent you the goods deliberatley, may rule this situation out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

from a quick read, you have to tell them you have the goods, within 5 months of recieving them, and if they dont claim them back by the end of 6 months, where you give them reasonable opportunity to, they're yours.

However, the first bit, where they sent you the goods deliberatley, may rule this situation out.
    Not quite.

Basically if you keep your mouth shut then 6 months later the goods are yours if the seller doesnt take back possession and you dont stop them
    Or
    if you choose to tell then 30 days later the goods are yours if the seller doesnt take back possession and you dont stop them

Advertisement