Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco V's Marks and Spencer: do low Prices reflect low service too?!

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

I do most of my shopping in Tesco, but I went into Marks and Spencers the other day to pick up some stuff and I couldn't believe the difference in the service, a smile actually makes such a big difference! It's the same in the likes of 'Fresh', excellent friendly service. But in Tesco, the standard seems to be a grunt followed by them ignoring you and continuing a conversation with the girl 3 tills down. It doesn't matter what Tesco I go to, it's always the same. It actually really irritates me, e.g. having to ask for a bag 3 times whilst feeling like you're interuppting them as they discuss the previous night out!

Has anyone else noticed at all? Or maybe it's just me being a grumpy pants!!::pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How many Marks 'n Sparks are there in Ireland? I imagine its a lot easier to pitch your standard to a higher level when you only have a few shops to oversee. I doubt anyone turns up to work at Tesco full of the joys of spring and urban shops are nearly always less hospitable than small county towns/village shops. Or at least thats my experience.

I don't think price has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Well Tesco are good for price but they can be a shower of moany gits, esp in Dublin, I don't find this anywhere else really.

I would get my lunch in there if I'm working a full day- so they'd see me a fair amount and still no smile of recognition actually no smile at all ha Th
    They don't take pride in their job, I know many don't but it's kind of necessary when dealing with the public to show some happy emotions!

They special needs workers in Tesco though tend to be really nice and helpful- they'd look the length and breadth of the shop for something, ya get a smile off them :)

Also, despite them seeing me, they still ask me for id when I try to buy drink and then won't take a drivers license! Grr, gives me ire I tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

G86 wrote: »
    I do most of my shopping in Tesco, but I went into Marks and Spencers the other day to pick up some stuff and I couldn't believe the difference in the service, a smile actually makes such a big difference! It's the same in the likes of 'Fresh', excellent friendly service. But in Tesco, the standard seems to be a grunt followed by them ignoring you and continuing a conversation with the girl 3 tills down. It doesn't matter what Tesco I go to, it's always the same. It actually really irritates me, e.g. having to ask for a bag 3 times whilst feeling like you're interuppting them as they discuss the previous night out!

Has anyone else noticed at all? Or maybe it's just me being a grumpy pants!!::pac:

No, you are spot on 101%, the grumpies are at the tesco checkouts and it's surprising how they ignore the customer while getting all cheery with their co-workers. Try asking for a plastic bag...it's not easy to get the message through.
    Tesco is really going downhill, their prices are creeping up at an alarming rate, the fish section is stinking rotten, the ready meals are real cheap muck IMO, choice can be lacking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

To be honest just because someone works in Tesco doesn't mean they're grumpy... it's possible that some of them just have bad personalities irrespective of their job... and possibly others have become zombies due to the lack of variety in their job.

Whenever we go to Tesco we typically go to the same checkout lady who I have to say is an absolutely lovely, lovely, lovely person and always makes us leave there with a smile due to her pleasant manner and friendliness.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    To be honest just because someone works in Tesco doesn't mean they're grumpy... it's possible that some of them just have bad personalities irrespective of their job... and possibly others have become zombies due to the lack of variety in their job.

Whenever we go to Tesco we typically go to the same checkout lady who I have to say is an absolutely lovely, lovely, lovely person and always makes us leave there with a smile due to her pleasant manner and friendliness.

Yes of course there are some helpful checkout operators working for tesco's but some branches have a too many ignorant grumpies for comfort. Compare that with M&S where the quality selection and training really shines through, the operators will typically greet you and ask if you want a bag, they seem happy to chat with the customer as well as their co workers but the main focus goes to the customer.
    In addition when customers start to pile up in the queue the M&S staff quickly summon other staff to the checkouts and everything flows much smoother, it eases the tension. You don't get that at tescos.

• Advertisement

In fairness I do find myself in a certain supermarket chain that begin with D wondering does 'service with a smile' form part of the company's ethos.

I've also tackled a grizzly bear in our local Tesco too... the young lad wanted a toy but there was no price for it and none of the price checking machines were working. So I went up to one of the self-service checkouts to scan it just to get a price, not to pay... the gal that was monitoring them went ballistic with me... gave me a mouthful... but I put her back in her box when I told her

"Hang on a minute, why don't you talk to your manager and tell him/her that there's a bigger issue. Goods aren't priced properly, the price checkers don't work and as a result customers are fcuking with my self-service checkouts"

I can understand that she didn't want me possibly scanning an item and then walking off possibly leaving someone to pay for it (I did press the cancel button though) but you know... the dirty look, the aggressive tone, the bigger picture... didn't sit well with me.

She duly STFU once she realised the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

G86 wrote: »

In my local M&S the staff are more courteous, and the products are worth the price I think, better quality and all that.

In addition when customers start to pile up in the queue the M&S staff quickly summon other staff to the checkouts and everything flows much smoother, it eases the tension. You don't get that at tescos.

To be honest I have to say that 'Queue Management' at the local Tesco is really good.

The local Dunnes is a total nightmare. Lidl and Aldi... they can be bad too... but at least they're trained to greet every customer.

To be honest I have to say that 'Queue Management' at the local Tesco is really good.

Fair comment, I suppose they can't all be as bad as my old local, sometimes with only two operators working to cater for a large busy supermarket, I would frequently drop the basket or just leave the trolley and go up the street to M&S instead.

It would be weird if we were both referring to the same store:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Where is this Tesco of which you speak? :eek:

• Advertisement

It would be weird if we were both referring to the same store

I'm referring to the Wexford town store.

Now... I do work in Dublin a couple of days a week and I have to admit that I can't bear the 2 stores on Baggot Street. Now this is probably more to do with the fact that they're small, cramped stores which carry far less variety... and they're almost always extremley busy at lunch-time.

That being said... I like the stores in New Ross and Gorey too... but couldn't bear the stores in Carlow and Waterford... nothing to do with staff... just badly laid out and a bit dull and lifeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i have noticed more miserablle staff working dunnes than tescos tbh

aldi and lidl are so understaffed they dont have time to be grumnpy or miserable

i wouldnt fancy being stuck in any supermarket for 40 or 50 hours a week tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

in my local tesco (Douglas, Cork) i find the staff Very friendly only once did i encounter a rude staff member and he no longer works there now as far as i know!

All the rest are 90% of the time smiley/helpful....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

All of the stores mentioned are noted as being miserable to work for, with the exception of M&S. That would be something to do with it, coupled with the much more extensive training people in M&S would get.

I have witnessed and do know people that need to cop on and at the least be pleasant to customers, but jobs like that can really get you down- understaffed, mental queues, rude customers, bad management...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My local tesco (Clare Hall) is full of completely rude gits at night time. I go down there most nights to get whatever I need, usually around the 10pm mark because I'm busy all day.

On every single occasion, there have been about 15+ people (several with full trolleys, not just baskets) waiting to be served. They switch off all of the self services scanners at night and then stick one, MAYBE 2 people on tills. So you're left waiting about 15 minutes to pay, even though every single other till is empty and staff are walking around chatting.

One man there is so rude, too. I mean, they all get distracted chatting, but one guy in particular - whoa. There was one self service machine on one night, he was down the other end (this was before they were all bunched together in one little square) switching off another machine. Since the machine was on and unattended, I started to use it, only to be shouted at by him because he was "turning it off" (despite the fact that he was at the other end of the self service machines turning that one off, not the one I was using.

Another time, I had a full trolley of goods and there wasn't a single human-operated till on, so I had to go to a self service till because I'd waited around for ages for somebody to come and serve me (yes, I asked, too). Same man gets miffed because there was a queue behind me (and behind every other self service till), walked up to me, commanded (not asked, dictated) me to go pack my stuff and he basically threw the other stuff through the scanner.

In M&S I've never once been annoyed by rude staff, never waited so long, even when it's packed and every single staff member has a smile and asks how you are. Even in Aldi and Lidl, it might take ages to get served, but they always ask how you are and give you a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I don't know about Marks & Sparks as I've never been in one. (I don't think there is one in Limerick), but I always used to notice a huge difference between Super Quinn, Dunnes and Tesco.

In the past Super Quinn (in Castletroy) were well top of the pile. Friendly service, loads of staff, loads of lovely fresh food.... just a real feel of quality about the whole place. Dunnes were middle of the road and Tesco were bottom of the pile.

However, I have noticed in my last few visits to Superquinn (I would only be there every 6 or 7 weeks) that the quality has slipped a lot. The main place you'd notice it is in the number of staff about. You regularly have to queue for a till now just as bad as anywhere else. (In the past you NEVER had to queue). They never have anyone at the tills packing bags any more. (I don't really give a hoot, but it's just a sign of cut backs). You would often be waiting a good while at the butcher/deli/bakery counters.

Definately not as good as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

Tesco: "...."
    Dunnes: "CLUB CARD?"
    M&S: "Hi, do you need any bags?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yes, Marks and Spencers customer service is better - but I wouldn't be doing my weekly shopping there based on the fact that I get a greeting and an offer of a bag. They are trained to offer you a bag - even if you are waving one in front of their face they'll still offer!!
    It's too expensive a place to purchase regular supermarket goods in - for a treat - yes. For everyday - no.

Tesco - I use the self service checkouts. The odd time I use regular checkouts I have been pleasantly greeted and thanked.

In Dunnes - my local Dunnes is great - the staff are normally 100%, there is one woman who I would avoid as she gets flustered at the tills - but the managers annoy me...too many clipboards and checklists and not enough proactive management.

Have to agree with borderlinemeath... M&S for a little luxury every now and again... but; living in a country where BIFFO & Co would like to tax me for farting; price and value for money are top of my agenda at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

M&S is really good in my opinion. Service and product is top notch, but in fairness Tesco in wilton cork is grand for the day to day and the staff seem fine. No complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Gimme cheap prices over a nice greeting anyday. I'd prefer to be €50 richer than be greeted with a smile when i'm checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i only use self -service checkouts so i can avoid having to deal with staff in these places

theres usually a problem with the machine that drives them crazy ,i can understand their grumpiness

people dont know how to use these machines and an alarm goes off if u dont follow procedure precisely

i would be going mental too if the alarm was going off every 30 seconds and i had 4 tills to watch on my own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

To be honest , I have never had a problem .

To LyndaMcL if I was treated like that I would tell them where to stick their goods and walk out of the shop leaving them to tidy up

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

I was in a supermarket across the boarder recently.. I had found some cheap forks so wanted to buy them along with my £70 of shopping.. and at the end the women goes do you have ID.. I laugh and say for what, 'the forks'.. So I hand over my Full Irish drivers licence, She dident know what it was.. Had to ask for a manager so I could buy some forks..

un****en real.

M&S is a top class super market.. I also find super quinn good and there in store stuff is very good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Yes. I think Tesco use the strategy of paying low wages, having high staff turnover (which helps keep wages low) and trying to ensure staff are easily replaceable - ie: a low bar to get a job there, when they need someone. M&S pay significantly higher wages, and presumably focus on staff retention, and have a higher bar to entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

The local Dunnes is a total nightmare. Lidl and Aldi... they can be bad too... but at least they're trained to greet every customer.

Couldn't disagree more. Although the lack of an express checkout is annoying, whenever I'm in Aldi or Lidle and a queue begins to form they usually make an effort to open a new checkout reasonably quickly. This never happens in Tesco.

Couldn't disagree more. Although the lack of an express checkout is annoying, whenever I'm in Aldi or Lidle and a queue begins to form they usually make an effort to open a new checkout reasonably quickly. This never happens in Tesco.

Apologies... my mistake, let me re-phrase:

The local Dunnes is a total nightmare. The local Lidl and Aldi... they can be bad too... but at least they're trained to greet every customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

high heels wrote: »
    I was in a supermarket across the boarder recently.. I had found some cheap forks so wanted to buy them along with my £70 of shopping.. and at the end the women goes do you have ID.. I laugh and say for what, 'the forks'.. So I hand over my Full Irish drivers licence, She dident know what it was.. Had to ask for a manager so I could buy some forks..

un****en real.

M&S is a top class super market.. I also find super quinn good and there in store stuff is very good..

That's their rules i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 to8

A bit random, but does anyone know why the staff in Marks and Spencer's on Grafton street wear protective goggles, including the security man?

I was looking around, expecting anthrax to be thrown or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

high heels wrote: »

un****en real.

When you scan knives the till says 'check if the customer is over 18. proceed with sale. cancel' Always makes me laugh, didn't know it was for forks too. Applies to Dunnes and Tesco.

Advertisement