Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco V's Marks and Spencer: do low Prices reflect low service too?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

"Only 16? Sorry son but I can't sell you those utensils to eat your dinner with... but I'll gladly sell you a large packet of condoms.. a good ride might take your mind off the hunger"

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

I must say I agree with the general opinion of tesco.
    I'm constantly ignored by staff in there. When other people have skipped ahead of me in the queue the person serving has just laughed and proceeded to serve them.I probably know more about there social lives than their facebook friends.
    The bizarre thing is, the staff in Aldi are absolutely lovely! So I guess low price doesn'y reflect service.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used to work in M&S and the training was great. Everyone I worked with/for was lovely.

There are a few in my local Tesco who are great, although I usually encounter them at the self-service check out. They always seem to be smiling. There are a lot who aren't great though.

The Dunnes I go to most regularly has terrible staff. They always seem to have big scowls on their faces. I also go to a different M&S to the one I worked in and the staff there are fantastic. They're always smiling.

Having said that, I will shop wherever is convenient or wherever I think will have the products I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

M & S have superior training, great products and very good service.

Tesco have poorly trained staff, some managers working on a wing and a prayer and wide variation in quality of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

A lot of it comes down to wages, management and how well the staff are treated in general.

M&S are famed for paying very good wages and treating staff really well. Tesco etc on the other hand, as has been mentioned, are all about the high staff turnover. I worked in one of the non-M&S supermarkets when I was younger and can safely say that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Because retail work is an unskilled job the general attitude seems to be "put up with being treated like rubbish or get out because we have no problem replacing you" and that does not make for a good working atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Staff in M&S are fantastic, a pleasure to deal with.
    Everyone single one of them in M&S IFSC in Dublin :)

Going by my experiences in Tesco, staff have a lot of areas to improve.
    Even basic stuff like not texting your mates when a customer is at the till.

I blame management, they know what goes on and do nothing

Advertisement