Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many Penalty Points have you.

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have searched all over the internet all morning to try find out how to check to see how many Penalty Points i have on my Licence & if so how long before they are gone.

Well i found how to check and it only takes 5 minutes so i like to share it with you.

After searching and ringing different departments i ran Road Safety Authority, Ballina,Co. Mayo, Tel 1890 416141, i told them what i needed & after giving them my details they told me everything i needed to know ( i wasn't happy :( ) but still got what i needed so i hope this helps you all.

gman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

I have searched all over the internet all morning to try find out how to check to see how many Penalty Points i have on my Licence & if so how long before they are gone.

Well i found how to check and it only takes 5 minutes so i like to share it with you.

After searching and ringing different departments i ran Road Safety Authority, Ballina,Co. Mayo, Tel 1890 416141, i told them what i needed & after giving them my details they told me everything i needed to know ( i wasn't happy :( ) but still got what i needed so i hope this helps you all.

gman

I have a big fat zero thankfully - but only because of the Gardai's complete inability to properly take down the details you give them at the roadside... ;-)

Although those points would be due to drop off shortly I think. Is it 3 years they remain on your license for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have two which I got driving in the outside lane of a 3 lane road at close to 100kmph when the speed limit was 80kmph.

I still don't understand why the speed limit is 80 at this point as it feels like I'm not moving when I'm driving at that speed along the straight, wide open stretch of road :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

But you weren't done for speeding?

Presume it's the Lucan bypass? That is a pain to observe the limit alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

The connection between this thread and "infrastructure" is pretty tenuous. Perhaps "commmuting and transport"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Gman_Ireland

@runway16 its nice when that happens.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    I have two which I got driving in the outside lane of a 3 lane road at close to 100kmph when the speed limit was 80kmph.

I still don't understand why the speed limit is 80 at this point as it feels like I'm not moving when I'm driving at that speed along the straight, wide open stretch of road :-/

Have a few more than that, 2 will be up shortly, but just gained 2 few days ago :(, thats what made me check.....

The connection between this thread and "infrastructure" is pretty tenuous. Perhaps "commmuting and transport"?

@strassenwo!f you could be right, not sure if i can change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

whyulittle wrote: »

Your are correct.

I now know what the life of a snail must feel like.

I am also now completely convinced these speed traps are a money making measure and not a safety measure.

I'm sure the guards are equally annoyed at being tax collectors when they could be put to some actual use.

I don't see why they don't you know, enforce limits in proven dangerous areas.

I've yet to see anyone have any issues on this stretch of road or even anything close to a dangerous incident. Maybe it happens at peak times when the cars can't do the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

whyulittle wrote: »

I regularly do 120kmph on that road. So does everyone else in the inside lane!

I guess I need to be more careful from now onwards.

But its impossible to drive at 80kmph on that road. They really should increase the speed limit to atleast 100kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

But its impossible to drive at 80kmph on that road.

lol :pac:

I have 1 pp OP for one of the most annoying garda pull-ins I ever encountered

I was told the turn I made was illegal between 9 and 12.30 Mon-FRi...it was the first day the signs were put up....he had 4 cars pulled in at the time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have null points and rarely stick to a speed limit.
    Go figure!

kbannon wrote: »
    I have null points and rarely stick to a speed limit.
    Go figure!

nice one :) just received my 4th :( 2 are up next april. wouldn't mind i was doing 79kph in a 60kph zone. camera job...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

plonk wrote: »
    I was going away for two years and thought thats how long the points stayed on your licence, so I took two for my brother. On returning home I saw the letter and found out they last for three. Not happy
    You do know that its an offence to do that and you can easily be tracked online!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Nul Points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Back to 0, after 3.5 years. Got a notification in the post a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was only on the licence for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

None because,I always sweettalk my way out of them,realistically i should have atleast six

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

thebman wrote: »

Hmmm..Gman, thebman & the Real B-man...

..Awaits a post from The Real Gman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

Was on 2 and just picked up another 2.

As is per usual I picked them up on the "shooting fish in a barrel" roads around Dublin.

Road safety measure my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Puntos cero :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Big fat zero. But I had to ring that number to check. Stupidly my car is registered to an address I no longer live at.
    Strange cos I speed a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

WindSock wrote: »

LOL! Must all be Safe Drivers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Finally back to 0, got 2 in a "fish in a barrel" spot 3 years ago. Couldn't talk my way out of it. Realistically I should probably have more though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

None! Probably down to the fact i dont travel some of the shooting fish in a barrel roads that those in Dublin encounter!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bingus666

big fat zero....

had 2 from years ago, doing 78 mph whilst over-taking the 3-in-a-row locals doing 40mph then slowed back down to 60(ish) but was still pulled by "local" Gearda & learning novice just outside Tuam in N17... hiding they were...

no points since though... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

None **touches wood**
    Think I've just been lucky...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

gman

I've got none.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

2, on a motorway about 2 years ago. Only 1 year of staring at my speedo left! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

0 which is nice considering I'm belting around the country in the GTI a lot with work.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »

sorry missed that @WindSock

Advertisement