Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points Update

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Nothing said about Law. I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nadia4

unknown13 wrote: »
    Nothing said about Law. I like

Decrease by 4 percent!! happy days....:) fingers crossed

I still need it down at 450

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

final CAO figures showing a 4 per cent increase in applications for level 8 or higher degree courses.
    not too bad really, and applications doesn't translate to places - who says that there isn't a higher percentage of lower grades this year leading to no change whatsoever?
    Details of this year’s CAO points requirements will be published next Monday. They are expected to show a slight increase in points for arts; a marginal increase for most science and engineering courses; no major change from last year for business courses; a dramatic fall off for property and construction courses; points will increase again for nursing; and no major change is expected in the requirement for teaching.
    That again really doesn't sound too bad! Not when you think of the horror stories we were being fed earlier in the year.

And what does it matter now anyway, its not like we can do anything, just ignore it all till Wednesday and hope for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Well as long as Basket Weaving doesn't increase too much...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Niche market

"a dramatic fall off for property and construction courses..."

I really want to do a property course and i was kind of expecting a fall in numbers but not a 23% decrease :eek: i now feel a bit more optimistic about getting a college place :rolleyes:
    (not counting my chickens before they hatch or anything) :p
    thanks op for posting! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

unknown13 wrote: »
    I still need it down at 450

Didn't know you were going for law! Where are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Tbh it doesn't mean anything.
    The cao system is has 3 steps.
    You need college requirement points and something else.

Not everyone will get coleus requirements e.g C3 or more for ordinary level maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

10% increase in applications to Medicine
    14% increase in applications to Dentistry
    21% decrease in applications to Pharmacy

Thats really surprising! I always thought Pharmacy was a good number to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

felic wrote: »
    10% increase in applications to Medicine
    14% increase in applications to Dentistry
    21% decrease in applications to Pharmacy

Thats really surprising! I always thought Pharmacy was a good number to go for?

It was. However the reduction in money they receive from the HSE, a complete oversupply throughout the country along with the increase in the no. of large franchises opening are causing the career to become less desirable....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Surprisingly, demand for courses in teaching and education has increased only marginally, despite the Government’s commitment to recruit extra teachers and maintain class size at current levels. Points are expected to be broadly similar to last year’s levels for teaching.

Niiiice:D Was expecting a 10/20 point increase...!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I know I'll be shot for saying this but I'd forget about reading papers til at least after the results. I went away for 2 days camping before mine, was lovely. Getting stressed out won't do you any good or change your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

'There has also been a sharp increase in demand for places in medicine and related areas'
    crap, my course only has 25 places and points are high enough as it is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

Article in todays Irish times on points predictions etc this wednesday. What do ye all think?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0816/1224276890511.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Damn not good for me as I want to do Occupational Therapy and demand for "other healthcare" courses has gone up by 25% :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ChristianLC

I'm glad that there isn't an increase in business type courses seen as those were the only type of courses I applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I know I'll be shot for saying this but I'd forget about reading papers til at least after the results. I went away for 2 days camping before mine, was lovely. Getting stressed out won't do you any good or change your results.
    This.

And to everyone getting stressed you need to keep in mind that none of these articles know what the points are going to be. They're just speculating based on the amount that applied to each course, but at the end of the day it all depends on what people's results are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

THFC wrote: »
    Surprisingly, demand for courses in teaching and education has increased only marginally, despite the Government’s commitment to recruit extra teachers and maintain class size at current levels. Points are expected to be broadly similar to last year’s levels for teaching.

The message may finally be getting through that there are no jobs in teaching and the government's 'extra jobs' really only resulted in existing part-timers getting a few hours extra a week.

Didn't know you were going for law! Where are you hoping for?

UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Hate to be the one to say this, but I am working in the big bad world for nearly 10 years now. The reason that there is a decrease for law, is that there is an over supply. I know alot of solicitors either laid off, or on a 3-4 day week ( with a large decrease of their daily rate ). Just bear that in mind if accepting law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Everyone i have been talking about Law careers have told me to possibly expect unemployment once finished, but hopefully things will have improved within the next 5 to 7 years. I was considering going to Scotland next year to do my degree as i hear things are slightly better there, but who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

"CAO points for most third-level courses set to increase"

Yay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think this year will actually see a sharp increase. The media has been so far off the mark in previous years but I think the stars will align for them this year and they'll finally be right.

We've seen more applicants to the CAO each year for quite a while now, but colleges were always in the position to expand and either offer more courses or more places. Colleges can't afford to expand anymore with all the cuts they are being forced to make. This will only translate to an increase in points required, much more severely than in years they were in a position to meet the extra demand.

With that being said, there's no point worrying about it now. Not even a Presidential letter will change your results now.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Don't be put off by people telling you that there are no jobs in law.

First of all, the situation isn't static - you never know what the situation will be in the future.

Secondly, law is pretty transferable - with some conversion exams, you are well placed to practice in most common law jursidictions following graduation from an Irish uni.

Thirdly, you don't have to be a lawyer after doing a law degree - lots of options exist, like journalism, teaching if you do a language as part of the degree, etc.

Fourthly, if it's what you want to do, go for it. Don't spend four years in a degree which you think might give you employment, but don't find interesting. Life is far too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

whats really scary is that no matter what course people decide to do, unemployment is almost a certainty on completion. Can anyone name one career at the moment where theres a shortage of graduates? Theres none! Even Medicine... theres been massive cuts in trainee doctor positions in Ireland and people are being forced to emigrate.
    Recently, I heard that IT graduates are being offered trainee positions with no pay!!!!
    This is very worrying!
    And places on courses are probably set to drop in the upcoming years with budget slashes right across the board and lecturers being laid off!!!!

Someone mentioned in another thread about the Recession being over. That maybe but now we're in Recovery and theres a massive mess to clean up.

But on the bright side.. lets hope this planet X comes along and brings with it the return of Noahs flood! lol. We have to stay positive and not dwell on being scared or we wont even get up out of bed in the morning!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

does anybody think that the points wont change too much this year due to most of the changing in points was done last year.

if last year everybody going to do technical courses moved to aceademic courses and since this year theres roughly the same number of students, the same amount of people will go for the same type of course as last year. so last years points should be roughly the same as this year?

certainly the changes wont be as big as last year like up to 100 points rise on some courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doritogasm

I think the course points will rise by a bit but hopefully not by 100 points or something that crazy. But all these articles are making me more nervous about Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Doritogasm wrote: »
    but hopefully not by 100 points or something that crazy.

Well hopefully not cas then my course will be at 615! :D there'd be a fair chance of me getting that! I'm seriously worried about wednesday though, think I'll be repeating! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Same :( UCC will fly up cos it always does :( Ugh..Science here I come and the long route in :(
    allym wrote: »
    Damn not good for me as I want to do Occupational Therapy and demand for "other healthcare" courses has gone up by 25% :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Last year, points for science in UCD rose from 305 to 385.

If this happens with Computer Science I'll be bolloxed. Increases over the last few years have been significantly less though. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement