Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points Update

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

unknown13 wrote: »
    Nothing said about Law. I like

I seen that to man, hopefully the points will stay down for TCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If this happens with Computer Science I'll be bolloxed. Increases over the last few years have been significantly less though. Fingers crossed.

same with me - but UCD points are gonna go into the 400s I reckon because I was talkin to someone at the UCD open day and she was saying that places are being cut or something this year so - i dunno

I'm going for enterprise computing in DCU 335 last year so Hopeing it doesn't jump to 385 or something similar or I'm gonna be in a bit of bother I think...

nothing I can do now so just hoping for the best that all the mature students went for Arts and the likes - so then it wouldn't affect me ;):pac: sorry everyone goign for arts but it's called natural selection survivla of the fitess :P nothing can be done now so just gonna have to wait and see what I get..

fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 popsoks

Doritogasm wrote: »
    I think the course points will rise by a bit but hopefully not by 100 points or something that crazy. But all these articles are making me more nervous about Wednesday

seriously hope this dont happen cause then it dont matter how many times i repeat wont b goin to college :O

hopefully that article right and teaching wont go up again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 popsoks

THFC wrote: »
    Surprisingly, demand for courses in teaching and education has increased only marginally, despite the Government’s commitment to recruit extra teachers and maintain class size at current levels. Points are expected to be broadly similar to last year’s levels for teaching.

seriously hope this is right!! because thanks to my "amazing" biology teacher i more then likely failed it at higher level and needed a C3 at least to b saafe if the points took a serious hike up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

slight increase in arts? anybody know how much of an increase in points that would 10?15? surely not 20? really hope it isn't major

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nadzcookie

Does that 'other health' places also include psychology? :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The two separate threads about this topic have now been merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

UglyFuc wrote: »
    does anybody think that the points wont change too much this year due to most of the changing in points was done last year.

if last year everybody going to do technical courses moved to aceademic courses and since this year theres roughly the same number of students, the same amount of people will go for the same type of course as last year. so last years points should be roughly the same as this year?

certainly the changes wont be as big as last year like up to 100 points rise on some courses

Heathcare courses will go up as 25% more people applied
    Teaching going up
    Nursing and medicine going up
    Science going up

All because numbers applying for these courses are all up

Construction courses all should go down as only 300 and something people have a construction related course as a number 1

Also, bear in mind because of cutbacks, third level institutes will very likely not be increasing places. Best case the number stay the same. Likely that they will be a reduction. No one will know this until Friday when the colleges inform the CAO regarding the number of places they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

thegoth wrote: »
    Heathcare courses will go up as 25% more
    Teaching going up

All because numbers applying for these courses are all up

No one will know this until Friday when the colleges inform the CAO regarding the number of places they have.

Why would teaching be going up!? The article only said a slight increase in the number of applicants.
    This Friday:confused:? So we'll have a good idea that soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I dont know. It doesnt seem to made sense, but Matt Cooper on todayfm had a career guidance teacher on the program yesterday either just before or just after 5 and thats what he said. The pod cast is likely on their website if you want to check it out. I dont think teaching has had a big increase though. Health care professionals, i.e social work, physiotherapy ..... saw the largest increase of 25%. Nursing is up 3%. This is all according to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 emzz

THFC wrote: »
    Surprisingly, demand for courses in teaching and education has increased only marginally, despite the Government’s commitment to recruit extra teachers and maintain class size at current levels. Points are expected to be broadly similar to last year’s levels for teaching.

Niiiice:D Was expecting a 10/20 point increase...!:D

me too! oh god....THANK GOD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

What would a slight increase in arts mean??

By how much i wonder...hmm....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Arts in most colleges usually accepts a high number of people, so the points change won't be drastic. E.g. UCD Arts accepts 1200 students so the points couldn't change by much as a lot of students doing well won't make a huge difference as they will only fill up the first few places, which aren't much when you are talking about a large course, unless there is an entire increase/decrease in LC results across the board, which never happens

For smaller courses, e.g. Actuarial and Financial Studies in UCD which accepts about 40 students, a number of students doing well can seriously distort the points, which can cause the points to go up or down by a large enough margin, e.g. the points for it, as far as I can remember, in 2007, 2008 and 2009 were 520 555 and 530 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

someone mentioned we wont know till Friday when the colleges alert the CAO crowd how many places are available on the courses? Does this mean that the points for each course will be listed on the papers on Friday? Having to wait the whole weekend to find out will be awful! Would be nice to know Friday. Then its either celebrate or drown in sorrows and regroup then come monday!

Im so scared for the people I know trying to get Medicine. Before the HPAT, it could have been assumed that with a 10% increase in applicants anything below 570 would just be looking at repeating. But with this HPAT system, no one can really tell... but Im guessing they will all be jumping to about the 715 mark? So much for trying to get away from the points rat race for Medical Schools!
    Same for Dentistry... usually a score of 530 would be enough... doubt that this year.
    Dont know a lot about the other medical related courses they are talking about. Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physico, Pysch, they were always around the 530 mark as well. I assume all those will now jump. Not to mention courses like Radiography, Optometry, Biomedical Science and Biomedical Engineering... All courses having already been set quite high!!!!

There is comfort for Pharmacy applicants though. But not a bright future career wise down the line.
    I think people looking at doing construction, IT, or financial careers are safe to think that the points wont change much from the last previous years; either they will stay at the level they have been or will drop.

Law... even though getting a bad rep, will prob stay around the same level as well... 500 and 520 with a language.

God this is just so horrible. Getting the results is bad enough but the second blow comes with the CAO offers and this year, everything just seems to be in the air! Heres hoping we will be put out of our misery by Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 arryanna

Jeez I've never been this nervous in my life! Really hoping for Law with Politics in UCD but don't know if I'll get in :( I hate waiting

Good luck to all tho, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

As far as points go we definitely won't know till Monday when offers come out! The announcements about the number of places will maybe give you some idea, for example if your course took in 30 people last year and this year it's only taking 20 then you'll know the points will be going up! But nothing's official until monday morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

im hoping points for TSM french goes down....

might nab a few drinks tonight, help me sleep :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I want to do Politics and International relations in UL...Its a course of its own and not in an art course,but it is an arts degree...I should have worked harder but Im hoping to just make the points..d''ya think it will rise from the 350 it was the last two years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Does anyone know what day the paper prints the exact points, is it the 23rd aswell? Like that morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Does anyone know what day the paper prints the exact points, is it the 23rd aswell? Like that morning?
    Yeah it's the 23rd. They're in the papers before the actual offers are made though, last year someone had scans up a couple of hours before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

why cant they do the 2 on the one day instead of dragging it on and on? they have all the info anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

felic wrote: »
    why cant they do the 2 on the one day instead of dragging it on and on? they have all the info anyway?

Department of education and the CAO are separate entities. It takes time to process 60,000 or so places correctly between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CreamCrackers

Ive arts in pats as my first choice but now I would pfre my second choice. Anyone got an estimate for each course? I hear pats will go up for 420 to 440. What about maynooth? I got 435 in the LC. And yeah, I know its JUST an estimate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WorriedAsFluff

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0821/1224277316613.html

They Know the points but we have to wait GRRRRRRRRRRRR:mad::eek::confused::(

Advertisement