Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's the new APIs and app compatibility that's the real problem. People will understand if things like NFC or video chat won't work because their phone never came with an NFC chip or a front camera, but in a years time when some popular games or bluetooth gadgets work only with WP8 and not WP7.8 they're going to get pretty annoyed by it.

Bluetooth is universal so it will work no matter with what gadget. Hardware is hardware. Cant exchange it for existing users. Peole that will get WP7's now will have an update path to 7.8 which is apparently coming in a couple of weeks with an option to for go the carriers.

So in terms of UI and UX 7.8 and 8 are going to be the same. Its just hardware specific features that might not be supported.

Regarding apps I can see some graphics intensive games not being able to run or you wont even see them, but that's again due to hardware.

Regarding coding and WP7.8 and WP8 apps im sure it will be an easy option to make an app made for WP8 to work with WP7.8, otherwise MS would just stab themselves in the back.

The only thing I hope is as some one mentioned before the screen sizes stay down while still having all the features.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd imagine it's fairly easy to port Windows Phone 8 apps and games back to Windows Phone 7.8. The code base is probably going to be extremely similar, a few tweaks here and there, and you should be able to recompile it and submit it to the Marketplace for Windows Phone 7.8.
    Bluetooth is universal so it will work no matter with what gadget.

It will depend very much on the APIs. There's quite a few things not possible in the current APIs, Bluetooth access is one of the bigger ones, there's others too, but it makes a good example for the moment. There's lots of cool things you can do with Bluetooth on iOS and Android, you can connect to your smart watch, connect to your car for performance and diagnostic data, there's tons of heart rate monitors and pedometers for fitness apps, there's even a fish finder sonar on the way.

None of these are currently possible on WP7, the hardware would support them, it's just the APIs don't allow for it. The details aren't confirmed yet, but it seems like the WP8 APIs will be far more complete, and it seems likely Bluetooth will be included. Again the details aren't complete, but it also seems likely that the new APIs won't be brought back to WP7.8 which would mean no Bluetooth access. So that'll be a whole class of apps on WP8 that won't be possible on WP7.8, even if the hardware was the exact same.

Another rumour is that there'll be more advance backgrounding of apps in WP8, giving apps new mechanisms to run in the background, which again would create a whole class of apps on WP8 that wouldn't be possible at all on WP7.8.

Even where things are possible on both platforms, apps developed for WP8 using native code and DirectX, which some developers seem to be waiting for, are less likely to be ported back to Silverlight/XNA, so again, even with the exact same hardware WP8 would have apps that would never appear on WP7.

This doesn't impact me directly, I understand that sometimes to make progress you have to cut away the past, and I'll most likely get a WP8 handset fairly early on, but I think it could annoy a lot of people and damage the platform overall.

It's very possible that I'm being overly pessimistic, details are still sparse and it's very possible WP7.8 will actually support almost does WP8 does except for the obvious hardware constraints, but that's how it looks to me at the moment.

The only thing I hope is as some one mentioned before the screen sizes stay down while still having all the features.
    The great thing about the new customisable home screen is that it should work well across different resolutions and screen sizes, so hopefully the OEMs will provide a good range and mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's very possible that I'm being overly pessimistic, details are still sparse and it's very possible WP7.8 will actually support almost does WP8 does except for the obvious hardware constraints, but that's how it looks to me at the moment.

Yes you are being a bit pessimistic, you're really comparing Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8. We don't know anything about the new Windows Phone SDK or how the API's will work when changing compiler settings. We're really at the very early stage of Windows Phone 7.8/8 and will have to wait a bit longer to know exactly how the 2 will work together.

I think the key is in this quote from yesterday:

"New applications compiled specifically for Windows Phone 8 will not be made available for Windows Phone 7.x devices."

It's that simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Just wondering what Twitter app people are using?

I'm just using the official twitter one, but it has no notifications at all other wise seems okay.

Just wondering if some one could recommend one? I wouldn't mind paying for the best one since its the app I use by far the most.

On a LG Optimus 7 E900 if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Just wondering what Twitter app people are using?

I'm just using the official twitter one, but it has no notifications at all other wise seems okay.

Just wondering if some one could recommend one? I wouldn't mind paying for the best one since its the app I use by far the most.

On a LG Optimus 7 E900 if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Rowi gets good reviews and is highly rated. There's a free version too.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/rowi-best-twitter-app-for-windows-phone-gets-better-with-20/7388

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'll be rightly cheesed off if Skype isn't fully integrated in WP7.8, any word on that?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Nothing about Skype in 7.8, so at this stage I reckon it won't be integrated further.
    All that's confirmed that's coming to 7.8 is the start page.

Do-more wrote: »
    I'll be rightly cheesed off if Skype isn't fully integrated in WP7.8, any word on that?

+1

Apparently 6500+ users on WPcentral took the poll and are quite happy with the 7.8 update path. I'm in between I know it's hard to do it if not possible due to hardware, but there's also the kernel change which could potentially if went wrong could start bricking window phones out there.

http://m.wpcentral.com/poll-results-majority-windows-phone-users-happy-proposed-78-update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I've been waiting for sky go to come to wp7. No chance it will now. Its a shame, as I like wp7 operating system. I am now considering moving to android.

snaps wrote: »
    I've been waiting for sky go to come to wp7. No chance it will now. Its a shame, as I like wp7 operating system. I am now considering moving to android.

I don't really expect sky go to come, took them years to come out with one for Android, I expect the same for WP7, software wise Sky are rubbish

Apparently 6500+ users on WPcentral took the poll and are quite happy with the 7.8 update path. I'm in between I know it's hard to do it if not possible due to hardware, but there's also the kernel change which could potentially if went wrong could start bricking window phones out there.

http://m.wpcentral.com/poll-results-majority-windows-phone-users-happy-proposed-78-update
    That's good news, I'm mostly just concerned about potential damage to the popularity of the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What's coming in 7.8

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/cmpn/windows-phone-7-5-news.aspx

Start screen and a sprinkling of PR BS for lumia owners :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Probably not a great analogy, but if I buy a new VW Golf and after a year VW introduce a better engine for it, I don't expect them to upgrade the engine in my car for free.

So I'm not that concerned that my phone won't be getting WP8 and it won't put me off upgrading to a new WP8 sometime in the future.

Having said that given that Skype is owned by Microsoft and runs in the background in existing iphones and android phones I'll be severely pissed off if Skype is not upgraded to run in the background on my existing WP7.5 phone at some point in the very near future.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Having said that given that Skype is owned by Microsoft and runs in the background in existing iphones and android phones I'll be severely pissed off if Skype is not upgraded to run in the background on my existing WP7.5 phone at some point in the very near future.

I'm exactly the same on this one. Just give me skype integration with the new start screen and I'll be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I read that WP8 will have a wallet function that allows "in-app" charging/subscriptions. Does anyone know if this will be rolled out to the WP7 update as well?

AngryLips wrote: »
    I read that WP8 will have a wallet function that allows "in-app" charging/subscriptions. Does anyone know if this will be rolled out to the WP7 update as well?
    It's very unlikely. It looks like the only thing that will be rolled out to WP7 is the new home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's very unlikely. It looks like the only thing that will be rolled out to WP7 is the new home screen.

It seems odd that they're not making it available. I can't imagine how it would be a hardware limitation preventing it...

Well a lot of the functionality in it is based on NFC, so there is a hardware side to it, but they could have brought the non-NFC functionality back alright.

• Advertisement

Well a lot of the functionality in it is based on NFC, so there is a hardware side to it, but they could have brought the non-NFC functionality back alright.

in-app purchasing has nothing to do with NFC. It's not hardware related at all, this is something developers have been looking for since WP7 was released. This is just to allow you to purchase upgrades add-on's etc in app's.

It will very likely be include in the next sdk for Windows Phone 7.8/8

The wallet is completely different

In-app purchasing has been linked the Wallet Hub feature (link 1,link 2). And as far as we know the Wallet Hub won't be coming to WP7.8.

If in-app purchasing comes to WP7.8 it will be via a different API. As far as I know there hasn't been any announcements yet about API updates in WP7.8, but if they have added a set of functionality for WP8 in one way, I can't imagine them also doing it in a different way for WP7.8.

They could bring the hardware independent parts of Wallet Hub back to WP7.8, but that's not likely either. It probably relies a lot on the "shared core" stuff that only comes in WP8, so it would be a huge effort to port it back.

In-app purchasing has been linked the Wallet Hub feature (link 1,link 2). And as far as we know the Wallet Hub won't be coming to WP7.8.

If in-app purchasing comes to WP7.8 it will be via a different API. As far as I know there hasn't been any announcements yet about API updates in WP7.8, but if they have added a set of functionality for WP8 in one way, I can't imagine them also doing it in a different way for WP7.8.

They could bring the hardware independent parts of Wallet Hub back to WP7.8, but that's not likely either. It probably relies a lot on the "shared core" stuff that only comes in WP8, so it would be a huge effort to port it back.

It doesn't matter if its the same API a different API or multiple API's. For in-app purcahses you'll most likely call the same function for 7.8 as 8, the compiler will handle the rest. This kind of purchase does not rely in any way to NFC or any hardware.

The simplest way of looking at this is, in-app purchasing is already working in Windows Phone 7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

You might be able to force the Tango update on your phones. I managed to get the update notification on Zune and my phone this morning, but I didn't get a chance to perform the actual update it yet.

Anyone else been able to do this too? :)

You might be able to force the Tango update on your phones. I managed to get the update notification on Zune and my phone this morning, but I didn't get a chance to perform the actual update it yet.

Anyone else been able to do this too? :)

Well as far as Nokia shows the update is only available for 710 on 02 the rest are still waiting for approval.

Hope they come quick. I imagine my titan will probably get tango close enough to Apollo launch

Well, I've an LG Optimus 7 on Vodafone. Mind you, I've done a fair few unlocking procedures with it so I suppose that might have something to do with it...

I managed to force that update to my phone. Now the OS version number is 7.10.8112.7, whereas Tango is supposed to be 7.10.8773.98.

So... what update did I just install?

I managed to force that update to my phone. Now the OS version number is 7.10.8112.7, whereas Tango is supposed to be 7.10.8773.98.

So... what update did I just install?

Your stuck in an in between update. That's the first update that comes through, the way I've seen it if your doing it the cab sender way 8112 is the first one and the you update to 8773. So your stuck in between? Try forcing another update? :)

Well spotted! I was stuck in an in-between update. I forced it a few more times and there was Tango. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Aside from the under the hood stuff, is there anything noticeably different in Tango?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement