Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It could be time to exercise your consumer rights and demand a new phone. Hence how I got my lumia 800 in place of my non booting LG 18 months on..

Cant really be making waves seeing as the place I bought it in, is the place I work at :)

Its OK. If it comes back with the same issue again ill be sure to ask for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I don't drive, but this could be nifty to anyone that does... :)
    Traffic option arrives in more countries

Last month we announced that improved and expanded traffic coverage was rolling out to the built-in Maps app. As program manager Scott Borton explained in his post, stage one was enabling traffic info for more highways and secondary streets.

Stage two of the upgrade—just completed— was making traffic info available for selected cities in Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom.

If you live in one of those places, pop open Maps and give it a try. It’s important to note that while the traffic menu option is now available in more places, traffic data might not be (especially if you’re driving through the countryside). So if your roads don’t change color when you tap Show Traffic, it means road info doesn’t exist for that area.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/07/20/the-wrap-expanded-traffic-coverage-nokia-drive-3-0-new-xbox-live-games.aspx

Id imagine that that's only available for main roads and big towns.

Google Maps had that for a while, but where I live no traffic info is available with em.

Nokia Drive 3.0 is out or coming soon isnt it?

I think it's actually out now...
    Nokia Drive runs on the Nokia Lumia 610, Nokia Lumia 710, Nokia Lumia 800 and the Nokia Lumia 900. The Windows Phone Marketplace will soon notify you of the available update or download it today, for free, following the instructions above.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/07/20/a-smoother-drive-one-commute-at-a-time/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/First-benchmarks-of-the-Juggernaut-Alpha-Windows-Phone-8-handset-show-a-50-performance-boost_id32557

First benchmarks of the Juggernaut Alpha Windows Phone 8 handset show a 50% performance boost
    WP Bench has a new king, and it is the leaked Juggernaut Alpha Windows Phone 8 device that appeared in a developer's list not long ago. Right after comes the HTC Titan II, reportedly the most powerful current Windows Phone device.

Juggernaut Alpha scored 151 points, leaving the Titan II with its 1.4GHz processor in the dust. Now, granted this is a dual-core handset most likely, as Windows Phone 8 brings support for multicore chipsets, but the benchmark comes to show that there will really be an improvement in performance over the current generation of Windows Phone Mango handsets.

image97.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've had no success trying to update to 8112 from 8107 on my Optimius 7.
    I've freed up as much space as possible on the phone by deleting music, videos etc. to save sapce on the back up files, and there is sufficient space on the PC for update space also.
    The phone is fully charged, connected to pc using orig cable etc, but still no joy.
    WiFi is on as well on the phone during the update stage - BTW the phone is dev unlocked and the PC is running XP SP3.
    Any ideas?

gman2k wrote: »
    I've had no success trying to update to 8112 from 8107 on my Optimius 7.
    I've freed up as much space as possible on the phone by deleting music, videos etc. to save sapce on the back up files, and there is sufficient space on the PC for update space also.
    The phone is fully charged, connected to pc using orig cable etc, but still no joy.
    WiFi is on as well on the phone during the update stage - BTW the phone is dev unlocked and the PC is running XP SP3.
    Any ideas?

Is there an update available or you just trying your luck? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Is there an update available or you just trying your luck? :)

It's showing 8112.7 available via Zune. Gonna try again with WiFi off....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

Riddle me this. I can't seem to send messages to Yahoo users I've added to my MSN. On PC I can send/receive messages from them via MSN however I can only receive messages on WP7.5.

Any way to resolve this short of forcing everyone I know onto MSN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This has shown up in the last few days as an option in Maps on my HD7. It only really shows main roads and motorways, nothing useful in the city centre (Cork).

Anyway there's still no official routing / searching in Bing Maps for the Irish locale (unless you set your region to UK), so it's still a useless mapping service as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I've started reading this thread, its so huge I found myself skipping blocks so forgive me if this topic is already covered. I just wanted to give my observations on wP7.5.

Last week I picked up a HTC radar (sh from adverts). I have been using Windows Mobile on a HTC Touch HD for the past four years so I thought I'd give the next generation OS a go. After a week, I am getting more frustrated.

I had read reviews, watched a few videos on the OS etc. But I simply did not realise how tethered it is. Just some of the things I have come to realise are as follows...

I cant expand storage
    No micro-sd support
    There is no access to a file explorer
    You can only transfer files via Zune. I really dislike Zune and having to use it.
    The built in alarm clock is awkward to get at, especially if you hit snooze and then change your mind.
    Alarm clock doesn't work when phone is turned off
    No permanent display of battery or signal
    No way to get stuff on to the phone except via market place.
    Forced to use Internet Explorer, No Opera
    Very limited customisation options
    Settings are limited to a small few options (not great for nerds like me)
    Cannot be upgraded to Windows Phone 8
    There is no way to close an app. You have to keep pressing back, its awful.
    Calendar is very minimalist

So thats just after 1 week. Does it get better or worse from here ?
    I'm thinking I might sell on the phone and go for an OS that allows me greater access to its innards. Would Android address some of the above issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

gman2k wrote: »
    It's showing 8112.7 available via Zune. Gonna try again with WiFi off....

Ive received this update notification but when I try to install I'm told there is an error with Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITC)

Error code 8018119C

Any ideas?

Down South wrote: »
    Ive received this update notification but when I try to install I'm told there is an error with Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITC)

Error code 8018119C

Any ideas?

Problem encountered with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). Try enabling and restarting the BITS service and clear the BITS job queue.

Instructions are here: Installing and troubleshooting problems during the software update for Windows Phone

dnme wrote: »
    I've started reading this thread, its so huge I found myself skipping blocks so forgive me if this topic is already covered. I just wanted to give my observations on wP7.5.

Last week I picked up a HTC radar (sh from adverts). I have been using Windows Mobile on a HTC Touch HD for the past four years so I thought I'd give the next generation OS a go. After a week, I am getting more frustrated.

I had read reviews, watched a few videos on the OS etc. But I simply did not realise how tethered it is. Just some of the things I have come to realise are as follows...

I cant expand storage (No micro-sd support)
    You can only transfer files via Zune. I really dislike Zune and having to use it.
    The built in alarm clock is awkward to get at, especially if you hit snooze and then change your mind.

I'm thinking I might sell on the phone and go for an OS that allows me greater access to its innards. Would Android address some of the above issues?

I think in future you'll need to do some research before you buy :)

If your looking for something to tinker around and mess with and try to tweak the **** out get Android. Most of the things you mentioned are coming with WP8.

But most of us stick with WP7 cause we like the fluidness, simplicity, quality apps and we like the way it works and looks. If I got to an iPhone for a couple of days I always miss the small little bits and especially live tiles. If I go to Android I get annoyed by lag and most of my free time is spend backing up and restoring the phone in between updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I cant expand storage
    No micro-sd support

It does sound like you want an Andriod and not WP7! Alot of your issues are solvable via workarounds, like file transfer, you have skydrive/dropbox/etc.

I honestly prefer that the signal's are not displayed the whole time, makes the UI cleaner looking. If you want to see the details, you tap the battery and they pop up.

Again I prefer Zune to iTunes, dont know what you use for Android as I never saw the appeal of them expect for tweaking.

Again I love the calender, and actually use it more than when I had an iPhone years ago.

As for the upgrade path to WP8, yes it is a pain that we are not going to get the full experience, but will get some of the features, which is the same as with iPhone (they release a new OS and not all features will work with older generation), maybe the way it was worded was not the best. But it gives me an excuse to change phones at the end of the year.

Alot of it seems to be personal preference for what you need. You could always check XDA and see some of the stuff they are doing there with WP7.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Problem encountered with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). Try enabling and restarting the BITS service and clear the BITS job queue.

Instructions are here: Installing and troubleshooting problems during the software update for Windows Phone

Thanks I downloaded the fix from the microsoft site.
    Tethering at long last!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I cant expand storage
    No micro-sd support

You didn't do much research! :D

It's well known that you can't customise the windows phone os and all your point are well documented. Did you not think of doing a simple search for pro's and con's? tut tut

Anyway now that you've realised you didn't buy the correct phone, you should spend some time doing some research on which Android phone you should buy. Don't go of thinking a cheap Android phone will give you the same experience as a top Android.

Learn from your mistake and research properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Why is updating on WP7 so tedious?

A friend of mine has a Samsung Omnia 7 still on original firmware and OS.

To updated it to 7.5 I have to go through update after update after update...:(

mad muffin wrote: »
    Why is updating on WP7 so tedious?

A friend of mine has a Samsung Omnia 7 still on original firmware and OS.

To updated it to 7.5 I have to go through update after update after update...:(

LOL give me an example of an exciting update? Why hasn't he updated so? Updates been available for ages for his phone, and that's the way most updates usually go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

LOL give me an example of an exciting update? Why hasn't he updated so? Updates been available for ages for his phone, and that's the way most updates usually go.

iOS can update from the oldest version to the latest one with one single update while WP7 needs to install every incremental update. I think that's the point he's making.

• Advertisement

It's simpler and more reliable for Microsoft to apply updates that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

But also more tedious, especially compared to iOS which has been very reliable.

He got it a couple of months a go from 3 must have been real old stock.
    TBi wrote: »
    iOS can update from the oldest version to the latest one with one single update while WP7 needs to install every incremental update. I think that's the point he's making.

Yep, and now with the OTA updates its much easier again.

Took 7 updates and over an hour to get to the latest 7.5 update :(

Can Someone please tell me how to remove a credit card from an account?:confused:

Can Someone please tell me how to remove a credit card from an account?:confused:

I think you can do it at https://billing.microsoft.com. Login, click on Go to personal information and then under Payment methods you should see your list of credit cards. Click on View/Edit for your card and there should be something there for updating or removing it. :)

I think you can do it at https://billing.microsoft.com. Login, click on Go to personal information and then under Payment methods you should see your list of credit cards. Click on View/Edit for your card and there should be something there for updating or removing it. :)

No option to delete or edit cc number, only expiration date, name, address and so on.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

No option to delete or edit cc number, only expiration date, name, address and so on.:confused:

Try this,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934510

AntiVirus wrote: »

Thanks. I had to enter the first and last name then hit save then it gave me the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Does anybody know if internet sharing will ever come to my Omnia 7?

obriea3 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if internet sharing will ever come to my Omnia 7?

If your bothered and manage to dev unlock your phone its a couple of simple steps via a homebrew app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

If your bothered and manage to dev unlock your phone its a couple of simple steps via a homebrew app.

Yea was considering that alright, but I'll probably just wait for WP 8 and see what that brings.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement