Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Dropped my Omnia 7 last night, (on the Eiffel Tower no less!) and now the screen has two little scratches. Its only a week old, sad face! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

you should be happy :) if it was in iPhone4 it would be in the rapair centre already :) i see so many IP4's with cracked glass or screen around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

To my eternal shame I've dropped my LG Optimus 7 a few times, but it's still working fine.

It definitely feels heavy and solid enough to resist a few bumps. Thankfully. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I am starting my second week with the optimus 7. I got a rubber case and screen protector for it on eBay. I just have clean the screen before I put on the protector (any ideas?). I am really liking it. Especially the fact I can pair to my multimedia car kit to stream music and podcasts and still take calls on my earpiece. The cover cost me £5. Well worth it

Cleaning the screen? I just use a damp cloth. :)

• Advertisement

do you not get a cleaning cloth with the phone?

I will try a damp cloth. I didn't get one with this phone

damp cloth wont be any good :) unless its very good cloth :) paper tissue is the best since it leaves nothing after. If i dont have my magic cloth around i just drop a small drop of water on the screen and clean it with paper tissue :) cleans it better for me anyway.

When will we get full Sat navigation?

idk. Soon hopefully. Bing maps for windows phone are pretty much useless. Hasnt been able to find a place i wanted yet. Even when i give them the exact address.

• Advertisement

A general direction is usually all I want, like, get me out of the City centre to a road I know. Because I am driving a truck all day I can't be messing around trying to read directions off Bing maps. I think I will put the work phone SIM into my old Nokia 5800xm and use the maps on that while I wait for someone to write a Sat nav app for this.

well i cant image MS giving support for navigation here since even the maps are ****.

Guess we have to wait till one of the nav companies release one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

well i cant image MS giving support for navigation here since even the maps are ****.

Guess we have to wait till one of the nav companies release one :(

T-Mobile in Germany bundle Navigon navigation software with their WP7 handsets. Maps are only for Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the like.

I'm amazed that Navigon haven't rushed to release this navigation software to the rest of Europe; being first to market would make them a fortune. Perhaps it's taking them time to convert over the maps or translate? Or maybe their first version is $hite and they're scared to release it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

T-Mobile in Germany bundle Navigon navigation software with their WP7 handsets. Maps are only for Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the like.

I'm amazed that Navigon haven't rushed to release this navigation software to the rest of Europe; being first to market would make them a fortune. Perhaps it's taking them time to convert over the maps or translate? Or maybe their first version is $hite and they're scared to release it!

If you can get the Navigon maps of the uk/ireland from a different phone (eg. iphone), you can change the extension to the WP7 extension and the maps will work on WP7.

I'm also amazed that Navigon hasn't released this yet. It's one of the most requested apps for WP7??? :confused:

Well see it wasn't a problem on WM6.5 since that was used as GPS base software for actual navigation units in the car (that was the money maker for MS). But now they have to rewrite it completely how it works. Meh id rather have them take their time and do something decent rather than bring out ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

Was looking to but the samsung omnia on meteor. is anyone using this phone, would you recommend?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=918647

If you really need maps and got time :) try follow this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

bkelly86 wrote: »
    Was looking to but the samsung omnia on meteor. is anyone using this phone, would you recommend?

Have it nearly 7 weeks now, and I love it. Much prefer to Android and the HTC HD7 (but that said, I got a buggy first batch HD7)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Using it since Christmas and absolutely love it. Only gripe hardware wise is that when playing some games it can be a bit easy to hit the Search button which means you need to go back into a game. I imagine this is a common problem on most of the phones though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I have it 3 weeks now and could not recommend it enough, it has really grown on me since I got it. :)
    I moved from an iPhone to this and definitely prefer the menu layout and overall feel of WP7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi all, any help would be nice if possible:-
    OK so i have a new LG Optimus 7 love the device, it was on Vodaone but is unlocked and i have an o2 sim in it, Internet conenction is working but MMS not?
    Did a search on the web and found how to get into the engineer mode and adjusted the APN to o2.ie - had a test mms sent to me but the message just states "getting media" then stops???

Any ideas for what i could try or is anybody in the same boat?

There are three things that I can think of...

1. Have you followed all the instructions for the answer on the floowing thread on Microsoft Answers? The answer given there mentions setting a network profile in the Engineer mode for it. There's one called _PROV_O2I_IE_272_02.xml, perhaps that would work for you?

Microsoft Answers - Why can I not open mms messages?

2. I only think you can send and receive MMSes if the Data connection is on. It's in Settings, mobile network, Data connection.

3. Also, I would try the SIM card in an O2 phone to see if it can send or receive MMSes. If it can't then it's either the SIM card or the number/account, in which case I would get in touch with O2.

Hope you get your LG Optimus 7 working soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

thanks for the reply, Did the above in the MFG set to the correct and only o2 xml profile.
    should proxy be on or off?
    i also set ADC to enable, still nothing.

normal sms works access to marketplace works.
    i assume internet works.

edit
    forgot to say the Sim is fine and ws working no issues in my palm pre plus

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=918647

If you really need maps and got time :) try follow this :)

good link, thanks! Just goes to show, if you don't provide a legit way of providing access to your product the hackers will find a workaround.. I'm still very wary of using Chevron to unlock my phone though as I've a good few apps purchased and don't want to risk being banned from the Marketplace on future.. Plus, the upcoming WP7 update will block Chevron so you'll end up losing all your sideloaded apps.. Too risky for me I'm afraid!

BrookieD wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, Did the above in the MFG set to the correct and only o2 xml profile.
    should proxy be on or off?
    i also set ADC to enable, still nothing.

normal sms works access to marketplace works.
    i assume internet works.

edit
    forgot to say the Sim is fine and ws working no issues in my palm pre plus

I'd say you should ring O2. Maybe there's something wrong on their end that's fouling things up for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

gizmo wrote: »
    Using it since Christmas and absolutely love it. Only gripe hardware wise is that when playing some games it can be a bit easy to hit the Search button which means you need to go back into a game. I imagine this is a common problem on most of the phones though?

I've got mine around three weeks and I'd say the exact same, hitting the search can be annoying. Otherwise it's got no faults!

Well, except its maybe a bit "slippy".. if that makes sense.. I've properly dropped it once but it's also slipped out of my hands a fair few times, seems to be hard to hold certain ways, especially with only one hand.
    Could be just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Undead wrote: »
    I've got mine around three weeks and I'd say the exact same, hitting the search can be annoying. Otherwise it's got no faults!

Well, except its maybe a bit "slippy".. if that makes sense.. I've properly dropped it once but it's also slipped out of my hands a fair few times, seems to be hard to hold certain ways, especially with only one hand.
    Could be just me though.
    Nope, I'd agree with that. The phone can be a bit slippy alright although I'm not sure whether that's down to the metal used, the curve of the edge or a combination of both. :)

Cant make up my mind between HTC Mozart , Trophy or HD7 :(

any one have any experience with 3 of them. I know more or less about HD7. But need some first hand reviews of Mozart and Trophy

Cant make up my mind between HTC Mozart , Trophy or HD7 :(

any one have any experience with 3 of them. I know more or less about HD7. But need some first hand reviews of Mozart and Trophy

Yup if you've owned the HD2 then the HD7 will hold no surprises for you. I'd go for something else.

Not contemplating the Samsung Omnia 7 at all? It seems to be one of the more highly recommended handsets on xda and in the states in particular. Lovely looking screen, nice form factor (fairly thin) and a bit more pocketable than the HD2 / 7?

• Advertisement

Mmm got the hd7.the screen isn't as bad as some make it out. Its lovely. Just one complain is the loudspeaker for music isn't great. Though great sound for games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement