Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I hope that's sooner than later. I'm constantly writting to them for about half a year asking when will full Bing and Zune support will be brought to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

rc28 wrote: »
    This must be it then - my windows live account is based in the US (can't remember why I put this instead of Ireland and it seems that it can't be changed either). My 'music & video' app has a live tile on the main screen with the most recent artist showing up on it rather than just a plain zune logo. Also, when you tap on the artists name it includes a bio on the artist and access to the marketplace to preview their other songs you don't have.
    Aye yes, the bio info is a giveaway that it's a marketplace availability issue. :(

Regarding app availability though, get the Apptracker app. It allows you to search the app store properly and also gives you the ability to download content that won't appear via a Zune desktop search. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Copy paste was pushed a long time ago before CES, all developers phones had it.

getting annoyed too :( hope its a damn massive upgrade as they state it is. Or I won't br happy =D

What's coming in the update is described in a page on the Windows Phone site. Copy and paste, faster apps and games, and a better Marketplace search. I fear you might be disappointed. :(
    Windows Phone 7 Updates
    How do I update my phone software?

Though I now think that the update is being delayed so that Microsoft can test it as much as possible, so there are few problems with the update. This is the first update for Windows Phone 7, so it's a real-world test of how smoothly it's going to go for Microsoft and for users. Making a mess of this is going to be really bad for them.

They even already have a Help and Support article for troubleshooting Windows Phone 7 updates.
    Troubleshooting problems during software update for Windows Phone 7

Though this might be encouraging for you:
    Microsoft set to detail second Windows Phone update at Mobile World Congress in February - WinRumours

...And, for my last trick - I mean, bit of speculation - the update that will bring HTML5 to Windows Phone 7 will be using a bit of Internet Explorer 9's JavaScript engine (Chakra). So the update's release will depend somewhat on Internet Explorer 9's release. And since its Release Candidate is expected in February then it shouldn't be too long before its full release, and the update should be sometime after it.
    Internet Explorer 9 RC set to launch on February 10 - WinRumours

(I was going to post all this on my Windows Phone, but there was no way I was going to cycle between tabs in Internet Explorer trying to remember all the URLs! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Does anyone else have problems reading some websites on WP7 IE? m.boards.ie is fine but others like AskAboutMoney.com don't zoom properly. When I'm zoomed in far enough to read the text, I have to scroll left and right constantly which is very irritating.

Also, having had my phone for a month, I'm shocked at how little data I use. I have a 2 Gig plan with Meteor, have two email accounts set up, check facebook semi-regularly, read boards while commuting, have downloaded a few apps and still have 1.48 Gigs left between now and the 4th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

markpb wrote: »
    Also, having had my phone for a month, I'm shocked at how little data I use. I have a 2 Gig plan with Meteor, have two email accounts set up, check facebook semi-regularly, read boards while commuting, have downloaded a few apps and still have 1.48 Gigs left between now and the 4th of February.

Yep I've found my Samsung sips data; way less than I expected seeing as I use it so much. We don't have the problems that the Samsung Focus seems to have in america.

Only problem I've had with the browser is that with some websites (especially m.boards.ie) when you load the page it brings up an earlier cached version that is out of date - making me have to refresh the page to bring up the latest. Really not sure why it does this.

• Advertisement

I don't actually use m.boards.ie, I find the full site works pretty much perfectly.

This is one thing I have begun to notice and I just want to check have others seen it happen. When a website is loading and there is a search box towards the top of the screen, if you click on it while the page is still loading the keyboard input appears. However, the search box will not actually accept input, i.e. nothing appears when you hit the keys, until the page has fully loaded. Anyone else notice it?

gizmo wrote: »
    This is one thing I have begun to notice and I just want to check have others seen it happen. When a website is loading and there is a search box towards the top of the screen, if you click on it while the page is still loading the keyboard input appears. However, the search box will not actually accept input, i.e. nothing appears when you hit the keys, until the page has fully loaded. Anyone else notice it?

No, that doesn't seem to happen on my Optimus 7.

gizmo wrote: »
    When a website is loading and there is a search box towards the top of the screen, if you click on it while the page is still loading the keyboard input appears. However, the search box will not actually accept input, i.e. nothing appears when you hit the keys, until the page has fully loaded. Anyone else notice it?

I haven't noticed that but if you bring up the menu at the bottom of the browser screen while the page is loading, almost all the menu items (including the search one) are grayed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Anyone else have this problem.

You turn off game sounds/music when playing a game. Exit the game and all sounds, ringtone, message tone and Zune are all mute even though the volume is all the way up? Happens with the Crackdown 2 game, haven't tried it with many others.

Only way to solve it is to go back into the game turn back on sounds/music then exit.

On the Omnia 7.

nope all ok here ;)

looks to me that the omnia needs a massive sound fix :)

I wish there was a separate audio level for ringtone and media. Would make things a bit easier :)

• Advertisement

rizzla wrote: »
    Anyone else have this problem.

You turn off game sounds/music when playing a game. Exit the game and all sounds, ringtone, message tone and Zune are all mute even though the volume is all the way up? Happens with the Crackdown 2 game, haven't tried it with many others.

Only way to solve it is to go back into the game turn back on sounds/music then exit.

On the Omnia 7.
    Just tried that on my Omnia 7 with Crackdown, Flight Control and Fruit Ninja and wasn't able to reproduce it. I had keyboard input sounds and Zune video work anyway. :o
    I wish there was a separate audio level for ringtone and media. Would make things a bit easier :)
    There is actually and there's even app to set it globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Is anyone having issues with edge network today? I can't get online using internet explorer and alot of my apps aren't working. I got it working for 5 minutes this morning and it stopped again...

wondering if its the phone or the edge network?

I'm on a HTC HD7 O2 network..

did you try restarting the phone?

I had that problem when i deleted connection setup app.

I reinstalled it and it worked grand after.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Yeah i tried numerous restarts..

deleted applications.. still having the issue. really strange.. i'm considering a system restore now..but wanted to see if it was the network before i did anything.

I don't know if it's related, but I can't seem to upload photos to my Skydrive or Facebook anymore. I could do it before with my Skydrive, but for some reason it's just not doing it now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I don't know if it's related, but I can't seem to upload photos to my Skydrive or Facebook anymore. I could do it before with my Skydrive, but for some reason it's just not doing it now. :confused:

I'd never tried uploading photos to the skydrive before, and just tried it there ("Share" option), no luck. No error message or anything, but the photo doesn't appear on my skydrive when I check it from my PC.

The facebook one is working fine though; uploads the pic quickly and shows up on facebook straight away. This is all over WiFi.

If you go to http://photos.live.com/ you should see it in the Skydrive camera roll album.

I'm trying mine over WiFi and 3G, neither seem to work... curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi guys, if anybody is interested i have an LG Optimus 7 for sale over at http://www.adverts.ie/428074

not for me so moving on,

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got myself a HTC HD7 phone earlier today and I'm sure I'll have a few questions about it over the coming days. The first one that's coming to mind is how to get delivery reports on it. Does anyone know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Go to the settings menu, under applications select SMS delivery confirmation.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Go to the settings menu, under applications select SMS delivery confirmation.
    Thanks, I was just about to post an update that I'd found it :). I just go to Messaging, bring up the bar at the bottom, click settings and ensure that SMS Delivery Confirmation is set to On.

Lads is anyone having trouble downloading apps off the marketplace this morning? First off, its taking ages for the price info and the Install bar to show up, and when I finally hit Install it just shows "verifying..." the whole time. Tried the usual reset etc. Anyone else?

i noticed that depends on my internet speed. Like at home on mifi it takes ages to come up. But on 10mb broadband its pretty quick to come up. Unless your on a HD2 which takes centuries ;)

i noticed that depends on my internet speed. Like at home on mifi it takes ages to come up. But on 10mb broadband its pretty quick to come up. Unless your on a HD2 which takes centuries ;)

It's back again in the last hour, but there was definitely something iffy going on since late last night. It wasn't downloading from the marketplace but more interestingly it couldn't logon to XBOX live or any other of the WP7 connected services.

And yeah the Install / Buy / Trial app bar in the marketplace usually takes a few more seconds to appear than usual if I'm on edge or in a spotty coverage area. Tried this morning with both Wifi and DSL and it was still wonky.

Anyway, since it's working now, I can recommend downloading iDaft; remix some Daft Punk! best idea ever.

is that just a Daft Punk sound board? I had one on Windows Mobile :) played around for 2 mins and got bored hehe

Malice wrote: »
    Thanks, I was just about to post an update that I'd found it :). I just go to Messaging, bring up the bar at the bottom, click settings and ensure that SMS Delivery Confirmation is set to On.

When I do this, I get a text back saying 'your message to +35386xxxxxx has been delivered'. My old Windows 6.1 phone did the same. Why is it that older phones handled this better by showing which message and to which recipient was delivered?

Heuston we have a problem.It
    It all started with Boards express where there was an update out and I couldn't see it.

So I found the new updated app and did a manual update. But after I went to check do I have the same problem with other apps and games.

so when I go into a game that already bought it wants me to buy it again. Even though I own it.

Any one know what might be the problem there?

It all started with Boards express where there was an update out and I couldn't see it.

So I found the new updated app and did a manual update. But after I went to check do I have the same problem with other apps and games.

so when I go into a game that already bought it wants me to buy it again. Even though I own it.

If it's something you've paid money for, I'm not sure.

If it's just something you've downloaded for free you'll need to go to the marketplace on your phone to re-download it. As I've said before, I recommend the Apptracker app for marketplace searching. Once you've found the app there's as button at the bottom that will bring you directly to the marketplace to grab it. :)

First of all, make sure that your phone is using the same Live account that you used to purchase the apps.

Second, are you sure it wants you to buy them again? On the app's description page it has a Buy button but when you tap it should say that
    you've already purchased the application and would you like to install it again.

Third, check to make sure that your purchases are still listed in your Live account. Open the Zune software on your PC and sign into the Live account you used to buy those apps. Click on the Settings option near the top-right and, in the left-hand pane click on Purchase history. Finally, choose Apps. That'll show you all the apps that you downloaded and paid for.

Hope that helps. :)

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    When I do this, I get a text back saying 'your message to +35386xxxxxx has been delivered'. My old Windows 6.1 phone did the same. Why is it that older phones handled this better by showing which message and to which recipient was delivered?
    Yeah I thought that was a bit odd myself. The number is registered as a contact on your phone so why it can't show the name associated with the contact is beyond me.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any essential app and game recommendations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement