Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Apps:

Foresquare - For making up for the missing local search and places from bing

Just another maps - better maps than bing :)

Games:

Paid or trial:

Bejewel Live - Great endless game :)

Assasins Creed - well i love this on the xbox and its great on the phone too :)

Carney Vale - Little Jumping Puzzle Circus game :)

Ilomilo - also a great puzzle game :)

Game Chest: Solitaire Edition - Card games :)

iBlast Moki - Did i say i like puzzle games? :)

Free:

Color Flow

Electric Flow

Ice Ball

Swipy Man - Probably the coolest and most simple free game :)

Unite -

ZM Typing Trainer :)

You can try them :) most of them are puzzle games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got FourSquare yesterday, it was one of the main reasons I wanted to pick up a smart phone, that and the fact that O2 seem to be having a sale that was even news to the sales assistant that I dealt with. I picked up the phone for €69 which was a lot more reasonable than the €245 I was quoted a couple of weeks ago.

Gamewise I've been enjoying Tetris7 and Unite myself. I'll check out your other game recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Just another maps - better maps than bing :)

+1

This is a great app and beats the pants of Bing for one reason only: you can search for an address in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If you're looking for more free games check out Awesome Sheep, Decimation X2 and Impossible Shoota too. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    If you're looking for more free games check out Awesome Sheep, Decimation X2 and Impossible Shoota too. :)
    I've got Impossible Shoota, I'll check out the others too.

Two questions I can't seem to answer myself:

1. How do I send a group text? It seems that functionality isn't available by default on the phone, only through apps like Group Text or SMS Quick.

2. How do I assign a custom ringtone? I've gone into Settings->Ringtones & Sounds but there doesn't appear to be an option there to use my own sounds.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    1. How do I send a group text? It seems that functionality isn't available by default on the phone, only through apps like Group Text or SMS Quick.
    The functionality is built into the messaging app. You just hit the plus sign on the right hand side of the To field and select another recipient.
    2. How do I assign a custom ringtone? I've gone into Settings->Ringtones & Sounds but there doesn't appear to be an option there to use my own sounds.
    WP7 doesn't support custom ringtones yet, they're meant to be coming in one of the forthcoming updates.

Or you have to unlock the phone and install homebrew ringtone manager.

gizmo wrote: »
    The functionality is built into the messaging app. You just hit the plus sign on the right hand side of the To field and select another recipient.
    Ah yes, I see the little '+' now.
    gizmo wrote:
    WP7 doesn't support custom ringtones yet, they're meant to be coming in one of the forthcoming updates.
    To be honest it's no big deal, I usually have my phone on vibrate only but I just thought it was an odd omission to have.

More app questions:
    Is there a Skype app available?
    Is there an equivalent of Google Latitude available?

Is there a Skype app available?
    Nope, not yet.

MS have yet to open socket access up in their API which means most IM clients will be unavailable on the platform. There are some exceptions but they use proxy services to accomplish the same thing. Rumour has it that said support is being added in one of the first updates so Skype as well as other IM/SSH based apps should be coming soon after that.
    Is there an equivalent of Google Latitude available?
    Not that I'm aware of but I'm open to correction on that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Facebook have updated their CheckIn feature to work in Ireland now, so if you have the Facebook app on WP7 you can check in to locations. I don't think I like this feature too much as it seems to broadcast the fact that I am NOT home (although admittedly this is only to close friends on Facebook - but still).

Just a warning for heavy email users on WP7; do NOT enable "As they arrive" under "download new content" in Sync settings. Leave it at 15 or 30 minutes. I enabled this during the week to see how it would go, and it absolutely decimated the battery. 100% to dead in 8 hours, which is obviously unacceptible. Data usage increased a lot. And it made my HD7 very very warm since the data connection was constantly transmitting. Keep away!

Ok, my recommendations for apps and games:

Apps
    -Yelp: fairly decent local search for pubs, banks, petrol stations, restaurants and the like. With navigation to map locations. Bit buggy though. (free)
    -Reddit: If you Reddit, you'll like this (free / ad supported)
    -Cocktail Flow: great looking app but only recommended if there's a lady in your life into cocktails (paid)
    -Flickr Manager: Despite the presence of an official flickr app, I find this one great (free)
    -iDaft: just fun (free)
    -IMDb: if you like your movies this is a great app. Shame we can't get Irish cinema listings on there yet (or any other movie app for that matter) (free)
    -Level: free MS app for keeping things.. level
    -Location Marker: find something interesting, marks where it is. And handy if you've left your car in a part of town you're not familiar with (fully-functional trial)
    -Passwords: nicely implemented password manager that also has a desktop password manager to sync with (paid)
    -Pumps.ie: Irish app to find you cheap petrol based on your current location (free)
    -Send to WP7: best way to get PDFs, links, notes etc onto your WP7 (free)
    -Shopping List: MS version of shopping list that works great for me (groceries primarily!) (free)
    -Sprout SMS: use your O2 free texts on WP7 (free)
    -Wonder Reader: excellent Google Reader app (paid)

Games
    -iBlast Moki: physics puzzler in the style of Loco Roco (paid)
    -Birdy Bounce: simple but addicitive tilt game (paid)
    -Chicks n Vixens: unofficial WP7 version of Angry Birds (free whilst in beta)
    -Colorflow: simple puzzler (free)
    -Metro Blocks Free: best free Tetris game I've found so far (free)
    -Wordish Free: word puzzler; very addictive (free)
    * the great thing about games on WP7 is that the vast majority have a free trial. You don't end up plonking down 4 euro for something useless.

• Advertisement

pumps.ie app is heavily outdated sometimes. It included some locations that didnt exist anymore. And outdated prices back from july lol

pumps.ie app is heavily outdated sometimes. It included some locations that didnt exist anymore. And outdated prices back from july lol

True, but there was an update in the last few weeks that now shows when each entry was last updated, and now also the ability to find the petrol station on a map. You can now update the data from the app if you have a logon for pumps.ie

Great example of an Irish app; would love to see more like this (eg AA Roadwatch, Tomtom traffic data, Irish cinema times etc)

I tried the app yesterday and it was showing pumps that didn't exist anymore :) also the ones in my town were outdated for long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Shameless self-promotion alert:

I've built a Windows Phone 7 community suggestion site called http://makewindowsphoneawesome.com/ that some of you might be interested in.

I've been absolutely loving the WP7 experience since getting an Omnia 7 in December, but it's apparent that the OS still has much room to grow.
    So I'm hoping people will use the site to build a sizeable database of improvement suggestions that maybe eventually someone will make use of!

If you have ideas for what you'd like to see in WP7, drop by at:
    http://makewindowsphoneawesome.com/
    Or like our Facebook Page at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Make-Windows-Phone-Awesome/145519968838006

Thanks!

I don't see ranting on forums beneficial :) ok app suggestions with popular base of devs for apps yeah. But for OS you have to bring the suggestions straight to the source.

IM badly waiting for the update to fix app performance and general bugs fixes. And badly need better YouTube support :S

No, I don't think ranting anywhere is a good idea, but hopefully people will just use the site to note down things that they'd like to see or even apps that they have ideas for, its not a forum and its not for complaining, its about trying to build an idea-space for excited users who want to evangelise about their phone.

One thing I love about Windows Phone 7 is that you can give it to a sceptic for about 5 minutes to play with and they'll more often than not come away really loving it. Hopefully other people like me with that mindset will enjoy using my site to make that experience even more positive.

Meh I just used the survey MS made public a week back to fill out what am I unhappy with and what do I want to see :) sending it directly is better :)

Okay, thanks for your thoughts :)

dont get me wrong :) i get what your doing :) though just thinking from MS point of view their not gonna bing every single little suggestion post ;S no time for that. Theres thousands of forums with rants filled over the missing features and incosistencies and bugs and requests filled.

Truth be told i even read the other day about a statement from MS WP7 Developers Experience directors stating that they have tons of feedback, and their picking out the most requested ones first. And it all takes time to do.

The reason why there is so many features missing is because there was a lack of time and didnt get finished by launch. And face it we all know that if the launch of WP7 was any later it could have basicly been unseen by the public.

I see alot of logic in the way they have done things. Their using the launch to bring out the core plain version of OS. By the time they reach out to the public and get decent amount of attention they will have the first or 2nd update ready by which at that stage the average consumer would have most of the functions he would expect from a smartphone. At this stage i could only call my phone a mini xbox console and a zune player with phone functions :) it doesnt deserve the title of smartphone right now.

I just wish the update comes out sooner than later.

I remember MS strategy was to bring out dev tools and launch the update a month later so devs could get their app up to date by that stage. So since Dev tools update got released a few days ago i guess we still have quite a while to go till the update. Which fustrates me like feck. :S

The update i cant wait the most is access to API for devs. Then we will see all the cool stuff coming.

Several other things that will also improve performance massively in coming updates too. Just the way apps are managed and loaded will be increased massively.

Strong point of WP7 is that their launching an OS that stands up to iOS and Android (in a way). And unlike either of those platforms it gots tons of space to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I tried the app yesterday and it was showing pumps that didn't exist anymore :) also the ones in my town were outdated for long time.

If it doesn't exist any more you should report it on the website.

At the end of the day it's user supplied data. If everyone makes an effort to update then the service improves for everyone.

• Advertisement

They should email or something to the petrol pump owners to update them each day. If it came to that point being well managed and regulary updated i would even pay for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They should email or something to the petrol pump owners to update them each day.

I'd say they'd have no problem updating when the prices are going down, but I suspect they'd mysteriously forget when they're on the way up ;)

good point :) but that sort of business never has loyal customers cause their not truthful :)

Game Related:

Bye Bye Brain - Any one know what does the cannon do when you flip the screen around? I cant get to shoot from it or anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Meh I just used the survey MS made public a week back to fill out what am I unhappy with and what do I want to see :) sending it directly is better :)

Link?

i think this is it :)http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/430534/db35b63ff81e

Windows Phone on twitter is quite helpful to :) they seem to be quite active. They even have WindowsPhoneSupport twitter account for problem reporting and solving.

Is there anything I should be aware of in order to maximise the battery life? A friend of mine has an Android app that he reckons improved the battery life quite a bit. Is there an equivalent available for the Windows Phone?

Just turn down the brightness and turn off Wifi data and bt when not used. Only things you can do.

Nothing to automize this is out yet since API access by MS hasnt been implemented yet.

Idk i tried them apps to increase battery life on android before and didnt seem to make a difference to me. It was just another thing running in the background taking up space :)

Is there anything I should be aware of in order to maximise the battery life? A friend of mine has an Android app that he reckons improved the battery life quite a bit. Is there an equivalent available for the Windows Phone?

There's no battery saving apps for WP7 yet. Single biggest battery culprit, like I said earlier, is having Mail set to "As items arrive"; leave it at 15 or 30 minutes to get double (or more) battery life.

There is also a setting for locating lost / stolen handsets which consumes extra battery; go to Settings => Find My Phone and tick / untick as necessary.

Whilst WiFi isn't the big battery drain on WP7 that it was on Windows Mobile, turning that off will save on battery if you're going to be away from Wifi for much of the day or night. I don't the think the bluetooth really makes any difference.

Finally, if you are using an app that is enabled to run under lockscreen, then it may hammer the battery if you let the phone go into standby whilst that app is running (particuarly if the app uses GPS). If you're done with an app that runs under lockscreen, be sure to hit the Start button to go back home before you leave your screen go off.

If you wanted the absolute maximum battery life then turn off 3G and data connection under Settings => Mobile network (and of course make sure wifi and bluetooth are off too). Without a data connection though I wouldn't necessarily call it a smartphone anymore but each to their own ;-)

You're done with an app that runs under lockscreen, be sure to hit the Start button to go back home before you leave your screen go off.

Let me fix that :)

Press the back key till you get back to the homescreen :)
    Some apps do run in the background :)

If you press the home key it will bring you to the homescreen. After that if you press back button in the homescreen it will bring you back to the app :P So therefore its running in the background ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No sign of the update yet. Feb 7th has been and gone. I know it wasn't an official date but I still hoped! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement