Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Unfortunatly you will. :(

Ah crap...stress of doing that! That's the whole reason i resisted updating to the RTM version...to wait it out or to update? That is the question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

simi956 wrote: »
    @evolutionqy7 If your phone is dev unlocked it should update even with the engineering ROM (So your ROM is 7720.68)

I dont think it is dev unlocked :) never tried it tbh. Im downloading dev tools now to dev activate the phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Try this trick to update to Mango

1. Start Zune
    2. Turn off Data connection and Wifi on the Phone
    3. Connect the Phone with the PC (USB)
    4. Start the update search in Zune
    5. About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet (Turn WLAN off).
    6. Zune finds Update. Press OK.
    7. Connect to the internet again and install the update.

1. Start Zune

You sir are an absolute legend!

Updating now! And to think i was just about to flash my device!

You sir are an absolute legend!

Updating now! And to think i was just about to flash my device!

Enjoy the mango :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Is the LG Optimus 7 that lots of us here bought unbranded or vodafone? As in the settings it has "vodafone" written beside carrier I think, but others say the phone is unbranded.

As others said, you need to flash the open firmware.

Also, thank you again AntiVirus! It's finally updating now!!!!

(I used to be mtb_kng incase any of you remember me :rolleyes:)

Daniel S wrote: »
    As others said, you need to flash the open firmware.

Also, thank you again AntiVirus! It's finally updating now!!!!

(I used to be mtb_kng incase any of you remember me :rolleyes:)

As above, i followed the steps i posted on the previous page, followed by AntiVirus's trick and i'm currently updating.

I did not flash generic firmware on my Optimus 7. I didn't flash anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I did not flash generic firmware on my Optimus 7. I didn't flash anything at all.
    Flash the generic firmware, it's kinda like "peace of mind". When you reset the phone, its in English (I speak German, but still). No Vodafone apps or default settings. It's a small improvement, but it's worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Does anybody have a link to show how to flash to the open firmware. I want Mango now!!!!:)
    Samsun Omnia 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Currently updating the LG optimus 7! Cheers Anti Virus. Lots of updating to be done, but its worth it, currently watching man utd get played off the park :D

• Advertisement

Well lads I'm now on mango and im very impressed! It seems quicker and the web browser is suddenly kick ass, I was never all that pleased with it before but now it really flies. Very impressed.

For some reason Facebook won't sync properly at the minute so don't know what the integration with that is like but if the rest is anything to go by it'll be great. Cheers lads!

*Sent from my Optimus 7*

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

1. Start Zune

Rats!
    Tried this (LG Optimus 7.0.7392.0; OPN + Zune 4.8.2345) and instead of step 6 above I get a "Can't check for updates right now" error (i,e, can't connect to the internet). Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong??

Thanks,
    Niall

pumbah wrote: »
    Rats!
    Tried this (LG Optimus 7.0.7392.0; OPN + Zune 4.8.2345) and instead of step 6 above I get a "Can't check for updates right now" error (i,e, can't connect to the internet). Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong??

Thanks,
    Niall
    It happened me a few times, but I just kept trying. I waited about 5 or 6 seconds and then switched off the wireless switch on my laptop. Eventually got the pop up saying there is an update available.

Tinie wrote: »
    It happened me a few times, but I just kept trying. I waited about 5 or 6 seconds and then switched off the wireless switch on my laptop. Eventually got the pop up saying there is an update available.

I was the same, had to wait a bit longer before disconnecting from my lan. Got it eventually. Just keep trying!

I was the same, had to wait a bit longer before disconnecting from my lan. Got it eventually. Just keep trying!

Anybody able to do this with Omnia 7 on eMobile?

obriea3 wrote: »
    Anybody able to do this with Omnia 7 on eMobile?

It works for any phone on any network :) lots of us here on boards did it for nodo to get it faster :) same applies for mango i guess ;)

Move that 10% of people who get the update on the first day to prob about 20% :D

For some reason Facebook won't sync properly at the minute

Try forcing a sync. Go into settings -> email+accounts, press down on Facebook until the menu appears and select sync.

It works for any phone on any network :) lots of us here on boards did it for nodo to get it faster :) same applies for mango i guess ;)

Move that 10% of people who get the update on the first day to prob about 20% :D

Thanks evolutionqy7.
    You have the Omnia 7 I think. Are you running an open firmware or does it matter at all??:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Not working for me :(

I did get the notifaction on my phone that an update was available but my Zune needed to be updated too.
    When Zune was updated I can't get the phone update message back anymore...

Ah well I'll just wait I guess...

• Advertisement

Thanks evolutionqy7.
    You have the Omnia 7 I think. Are you running an open firmware or does it matter at all??:confused:

Tbh im not sure weather open or branded means anything. Tried both when on NoDo. Didnt get the update any quicker or easier.

Just keep trying. I think it took me an hour of trying till i gave up on NoDo. Then next day after college i gave it a go again and on 2nd try i managed to get it.

Theres under a 5 sec frame to do it into tricking Zune. You have to get it spot on.

I used to time it with Data off on the phone how long it takes it to fail.

Then try it with Data on. Then around 2-5 seconds before the update fails with data off i plugged out the ethernet cable or wifi and got.

( I think thats the way i did it :D )

Thanks lads!!
    one more question - appx how long after turning WLAN off did you get the popup?
    I've now had two distinct results - either the previous "Can't connect" or the "Checking for updates" message stays forever (i.e. until I hit OK/cancel).

1. Start Zune

mik_da_man, did you try the above? Worked for me! Had to give it a couple of tries before it worked. Give it a good 4 seconds before disconnecting from your LAN; that's what worked for me. It still might take a couple of tries!
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Not working for me :(

I did get the notifaction on my phone that an update was available but my Zune needed to be updated too.
    When Zune was updated I can't get the phone update message back anymore...

Ah well I'll just wait I guess...

Try forcing a sync. Go into settings -> email+accounts, press down on Facebook until the menu appears and select sync.

Jeez, i think i owe you a pint at this stage! Once again cheers!

Jeez, i think i owe you a pint at this stage! Once again cheers!

Cheers! :)

Just incase anyone is having problems getting facebook chat to work, here's a handy guide:

http://www.pressbyte.com/3824/activate-facebook-chat-wp7-mango/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep - followed those instructions a good few times, so far no joy :mad:

• Advertisement

sPromo-MARKETPLACEAPPS-212x136.jpg

Link to the new Windows Phone 7 Marketplace:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/marketplace

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yep - followed those instructions a good few times, so far no joy :mad:

I'm at the same thing..........:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

1. Start Zune

Cheers for the tip. Took a few goes but I eventually got a prompt for 7.0.7403. Update went smoothly and it then found 7.10.7720 (without having to redo the steps above. Hopefully it will finish up and that'll be that.

And now to join WLANs with hidden SSIDs with gay abandon.

oh holy ****e:eek:.......its working now:D:):):):)

Anyone able to add the twitter account, or download any apps/app updates as im getting errors :/

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    Anyone able to add the twitter account, or download any apps/app updates as im getting errors :/

All working for me on 3. Try restarting your phone and adding the twitter account again.

I'm in the middle of the update now and can't wait to play with it.
    Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for all the info tonight. Boards and boardies rock!:)

Keep trying!!
    I got there eventually - currently updating :)
    Thanks to all for your help.

interestingly the update of my phone happened in two stages - first to an intermediate version 7.7403 I think, then a second download to 7.10.7720.68

pumbah wrote: »
    Keep trying!!
    I got there eventually - currently updating :)
    Thanks to all for your help.

interestingly the update of my phone happened in two stages - first to an intermediate version 7.7403 I think, then a second download to 7.10.7720.68

Yea I had that two step thing as well. Half way through the second now.

Yea I had that two step thing as well. Half way through the second now.

Second step is definately taking alot longer than the first. Makes sense I suppose. Must not knock power off...must not knock power off...

ElBarco wrote: »
    Second step is definately taking alot longer than the first. Makes sense I suppose. Must not knock power off...must not knock power off...

Its amazing how close your foot can get to the power supply without even thinking about it, all it takes is one uncontrolled leg spasm! :D

Every time I authorise twitter, it says "oops, were having a problem that we cant solve right now"... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Like an eejit I've just forced the update, and decided to press the Update button (really can't wait), except I've only now realised how long this update will take: I have about 15GB of my HD7 used up so the initial backup is going to take AGES.. and will happen twice I assume! Is there any further user interaction required, or can I just leave it work away for the night? I need some sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

1. Start Zune

Thanks for the tip. My HD7 is updating at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Why does the phone not just find the update itself ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Its amazing how close your foot can get to the power supply without even thinking about it, all it takes is one uncontrolled leg spasm! :D

I managed to hold out. Finished the update now. You can finally set a proxy in the APN settings - that's been bugging me since I got it.

Time to fiddle with the rest of it now.

It will eventually. It's being done on a phased basis and the carriers will probably stick their oar in.

We're all just being impatient.

It's a gradually rollout just incase there's a bug that hasn't been found yet. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks - so are we German LG owners waiting on Vodafone.de or our Irish provider ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Linked inboxes and the Groups in the people hubs are both pretty usefull.

1. Start Zune
    Thanks - so are we German LG owners waiting on Vodafone.de or our Irish provider ?

Follow the instructions above and you should be sorted. I have the German LG and im now running Mango:)

You're phone is a German vodafone so you'll be waiting for them to push it so you should get it before any irish LG Optimus 7 vodafones.

I flashed my LG Optimus to the open firmware and got the update with out any tricks needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Follow the instructions above and you should be sorted. I have the German LG and im now running Mango:)

I just connected the phone now and it just ran the update straight off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Bambi wrote: »
    I just connected the phone now and it just ran the update straight off :D

Yea same happened with me. I had to double check the version just to make sure it had worked right. Handy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Got it to work on my 5th try (turned off wifi on phone , checked for update on zune and then about 5 seconds later disconnected from my network) and it worked

Cheers :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement