Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Have you tried re-starting your phone and your computer?

I have done both with no luck.

It keeps saying, we could not connect to the update service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Just updated my wife's phone to Mango - all went well, but afterwards it wouldn't connect to gmail or facebook. She's on a billpay data plan with Vodafone. The phone is one of the German VF branded jobbies and I haven't loaded any open market firmware on it. I had enabled MFG some months back and had attempted to get MMS working with the Network Settings app from the marketplace, but no dice.

When I checked the APN settings now, after the update, they were blank! This would explain why no data connection was available. I input live.vodafone.com as the APN and re-booted and all was ok. I'm a bit puzzled why the mango update didn't retain or update the data and mms settings, though:confused: Did anyone else have access problems after updating to Mango? I'd like to try and get MMS working also. Any bright ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

fat-tony wrote: »
    Just updated my wife's phone to Mango - all went well, but afterwards it wouldn't connect to gmail or facebook. She's on a billpay data plan with Vodafone. The phone is one of the German VF branded jobbies and I haven't loaded any open market firmware on it. I had enabled MFG some months back and had attempted to get MMS working with the Network Settings app from the marketplace, but no dice.

When I checked the APN settings now, after the update, they were blank! This would explain why no data connection was available. I input live.vodafone.com as the APN and re-booted and all was ok. I'm a bit puzzled why the mango update didn't retain or update the data and mms settings, though:confused: Did anyone else have access problems after updating to Mango? I'd like to try and get MMS working also. Any bright ideas?

Download the LG network app from the LG app store in the marketplace and see does that work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Download the LG network app from the LG app store in the marketplace and see does that work

That's the one I downloaded some time ago. Seems to have Vodafone settings for Ireland OK, but MMS didn't work then or now. It just seems odd that the data settings were lost in the Mango update. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright, i've noticed a few bugs on my LG Optimus 7.

1. I can't send texts to more than one contact. If i try to it will just fail. This worked pre-Mango.

2. If i get a text, when my phone is connected to my bluetooth car kit while playing music. The music will just stop. And no restart, unless i pick it up and push play again.

Both very annoying. And my phone reboots once every two days at random. Noting in particular sets it off. It had rebooted over night last night. So it was just sitting there at the "Enter pin" screen when i went to look at it.

I might have to reinstall mango...god damn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Alright, i've noticed a few bugs on my LG Optimus 7.

1. I can't send texts to more than one contact. If i try to it will just fail. This worked pre-Mango.

2. If i get a text, when my phone is connected to my bluetooth car kit while playing music. The music will just stop. And no restart, unless i pick it up and push play again.

Both very annoying. And my phone reboots once every two days at random. Noting in particular sets it off. It had rebooted over night last night. So it was just sitting there at the "Enter pin" screen when i went to look at it.

I might have to reinstall mango...god damn...

Sounds like you may need to reinstall it, here's the LG update version numbers. Check to see if your's are the same.

os ver 7.10.7720.68
    firmware rev # 1.1.2.10
    radio software 1.1.2.10
    rdio hardware 0.3.5.0
    bootloader 1.5.1.0
    chip soc 0.30.2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I was reluctant to force any update to mango as I am heavily reliant on the phone for work. However, I decided to carry out the procedure as outlined earlier by turning off data on the phone and hooking up to the pc and disconnecting wifi as zune searches for updates. It took serveral attempts before I got the "timing" right as I'm using a heavily laden net top HTPC with a T2060 @160ghz as my main computer.

Tomorrow, will be the big test (first day back to work). I run the phone through a nokia ck300 in my truck for music and podcasts, however, I take a lot of calls in the afternoon when i give IT support. It's imperitive that i can use the phone without taking my eyes off the road. I have already noticed that the controls are in a different place for answering a call. I'm looking forward to trying out the speech to text/email. This could prove invaluable as often I have to stop to reply to emails.
    I hope with the mango update, I am still able to pair to the multi media car kit and the LG hbm ear piece at the same time. This is an invaluable feature as it's damn near impossible for people to hear me on the car kit alone over the noise of the scania V8 on the open road.

I'm looking forward to the next round of phones with front facing cameras and mapping as good as the nokia maps (or better). I have used garmin XT on a nokia 5800xm in England and found it fantastic. The turn by turn app I have bought for my Optimus has fallen well short of this because of it's love for narrow side roads.

Does the album art on the lock screen fiction work for anybody here? It just switches the wallpaper to the default zune one for me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'm looking forward to trying out the speech to text/email. This could prove invaluable as often I have to stop to reply to emails.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there's no speech-to-email. :(

I hate to burst your bubble, but there's no speech-to-email. :(

Yip, that's not coming till the Apollo update which will have much deeper voice integration. Soon enough you won't need to touch your phone :D

There won't be much need for touch screen keyboards with Windows 8, we'll be talking to our PC/Tablets and Phones, Microsoft is well ahead on this one. :pac:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-making-big-speech-bets-with-windows-8-bing/10303

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Does the album art on the lock screen fiction work for anybody here? It just switches the wallpaper to the default zune one for me :o

No. In countries that have access to the Zune Music Marketplace, photos of the artists are displayed on the Lock screen, as well as in the Music Hub, like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=442331&d=1289914393

Sadly, we do not get the music marketplace, so we get, this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=442330&d=1289914393

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭robbie67

os ver 7.10.7720.68
    firmware rev # 1.1.2.10
    radio software 1.1.2.10
    rdio hardware 0.3.5.0
    bootloader 1.5.1.0
    chip soc 0.30.2.0

i have updated to mango but some of the settings are wrong
    firmware rev number 1.0.13.10
    radio software 1.0.13.10
    the rest is the same is there anyway i can way i can update them thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just got internet hotspot working on my Omnia 7 :)

Happy days :)

This is pretty much the only phone feature that ive been dying to get my hands on lately :)

Im a happy camper now :)

If anyone else wants to get it you can follow the link to windows phone hacker on how to

http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/video_tutorial_how_to_easily_enable_wifi_sharing_on_samsung_mango_windows_phones-09-29-11

You will need a developers unlocked device, wp7 root tools, inter op unlock, and tons of other homebrew apps to get up and running. If your familiar with the homebrew scene it shouldnt be hard. Took me about 5 mins to get this all done from scratch.

It works great so far :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

Looks like HTC is releasing a firmware update in mid to late October which will allow the older WP7 HTC handsets (hd7, surround, mozart) to avail of the new hotspot/tethering feature in 7.5. :)

http://phonetitan.com/htc-to-enable-internet-sharing-on-htc-hd7-surround-mozart-7-pro-trophy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I think I've done something bad.............
    Tried to enable tethering via this link
    But of course now, my computer does not even see the phone when I connect via USB.
    I've gone back in and changed the USB switching mode to the other two options, but no joy with any of them, I've rebooted phone and removed battery etc, but no avail.
    It'a a PITA, as I need to access photos etc via ZUNE..............

Any ideas???
    (Also - any word on the forum approval?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

billgates wrote: »
    Looks like HTC is releasing a firmware update in mid to late October which will allow the older WP7 HTC handsets (hd7, surround, mozart) to avail of the new hotspot/tethering feature in 7.5. :)

http://phonetitan.com/htc-to-enable-internet-sharing-on-htc-hd7-surround-mozart-7-pro-trophy/

Any word on being able to tether the LG Optimus without having to have the developers tools?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Which apps do you use to download maps? gmaps, offline maps etc

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    Any word on being able to tether the LG Optimus without having to have the developers tools?

We're waiting on a firmware update to be released from LG to update their drives to allow tethering

m.youtube.com is not working for me on IE9/mango :confused: It loads fine for me on my desktop PC

m.youtube.com is not working for me on IE9/mango :confused: It loads fine for me on my desktop PC

Working fine on My LG Optimus 7 on 3

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Working fine on My LG Optimus 7 on 3

Working fine here as well :)

got it to work by clearing browsing history :) I am liking the new mobile layout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Very tempted to pick up the LG in the next few minutes - FU 4S - and want to know if the mango users recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A decision has been made concerning our sub forum.

:(
    This was a very very close one and was by no means a unanimous decision.

a lot of the delay was because we decided to wait until Mango was released to see if there was an increase in windows 7 phone based traffic.

yes there is a big megathread but it hasnt grown that much (with relevant content) in the time we've been watching it. Despite the interest here, its realyl nt looking liek a windows 7 phone forum would have enough traffic to make it viable.

I'm marking this as closed for now but I'm marking it "notice" and not rejected as it is something we will continue to monitor and will revisit. So its not a "no" its a "not right now".

LoLth

moonboy52 wrote: »

So let's keep going with this 65 page thread.....

Meanwhile we have a Vaping forum approved, and of course the Flirt with Tar forum....:confused:

Anyway, back on topic, anyone else having random restarts with LG-E900?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

This was a very very close one and was by no means a unanimous decision.

a lot of the delay was because we decided to wait until Mango was released to see if there was an increase in windows 7 phone based traffic.

yes there is a big megathread but it hasnt grown that much (with relevant content) in the time we've been watching it. Despite the interest here, its realyl nt looking liek a windows 7 phone forum would have enough traffic to make it viable.

I'm marking this as closed for now but I'm marking it "notice" and not rejected as it is something we will continue to monitor and will revisit. So its not a "no" its a "not right now".

LoLth

I read the thread several times a day. I rarely post in it. I don't see how the growth of the thread itself can be seen as the sole usage metric.

The very fact the thread has developed shows that there is a need for some other solution if a sole forum is not possible. The megathread covers a multitude of topics.

Perhaps it should be split in to several threads. It cannot go off topic, that Boards no-no, as the topic is extremely loose.

Anyway if I, and other lurkers, post our every thought, confirmation and question on the megathread, just to get the numbers up, will we be closer to a sub forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

A terrible decision has been made concerning our sub forum.

fyp.

I am having a few issues with Zune on my HTC 7 Pro. When I am listening to music and slide open the keyboard the music stops. So I press play, finish my sms and then close the slide and it stops again.

Does anyone else get this on a keyboard slider phone?

Also, when listening to music and I do a Bing search, the sound quality changes for the worse. When I leave Bing then it is fine again.

Anyone else get that?

• Advertisement

There's more post's in this one Windows Phone thread than there is in some of the forums on here.

Bunch of Moonbeams! :pac:

gman2k wrote: »

Mine's working perfectly since day one. I don't think I've ever had a random restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cough# so WP7 eh recommended? cough cough#

cough# so WP7 eh recommended? cough cough#

Oh yes, definitly! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

TBH I'm a bit underwhelmed by mango

The one good thing I did notice is that the LG app store has a QR reader that actually works practically 100% unlike all the others I've tried

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Meanwhile we have a Vaping forum approved, and of course the Flirt with Tar forum....:confused:

Mine does now and again. Once or twice a week, maybe less. But don't know why it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This thread was started a long time back in fairness before a lot of people knew W7 existed. I have said it on a few occasions, if you want to post something windows 7 related, you can make a new thread. Everything doesn't have to go into this thread! Im not sure why people feel they cant have a discussion about something mobile related if its not in a sub-forum. If people had been doing this rather than not posting anything, their could be enough traffic to warrant the sub-forum.

Davy wrote: »
    This thread was started a long time back in fairness before a lot of people knew W7 existed. I have said it on a few occasions, if you want to post something windows 7 related, you can make a new thread. Everything doesn't have to go into this thread! Im not sure why people feel they cant have a discussion about something mobile related if its not in a sub-forum. If people had been doing this rather than not posting anything, their could be enough traffic to warrant the sub-forum.

Now its our fault!!!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Im not sure why people feel they cant have a discussion about something mobile related if its not in a sub-forum. If people had been doing this rather than not posting anything, their could be enough traffic to warrant the sub-forum.

I don't want to subscribe to the entire Mobiles & PDAs forum; None of it interests me other than the WP7 threads. If it were to be split up, I'd have to sift through the pointless threads that are completely irrelevant to me and my phone. Having it all in one place suits me, because when I do a search in this thread, I only get results specific to WP7. Having it all in one place just fits.

It's a fair shambles, though, when this one thread has more posts than a dozen small forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Now its our fault!!!

;)

Ye it is, should have listened :p

Being serious though, mods dont decide on forum requests so your beefs not with me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

The one good thing I did notice is that the LG app store has a QR reader that actually works practically 100% unlike all the others I've tried

The Bing Vision search reads Qr perfectly without the need of another app.

Boo_hoo wrote: »

The Bing Vision search reads Qr perfectly without the need of another app.
    Cool!

I had downloaded a QR reader full of ads. Can uninstall that now.

The whole Bing package is actually quite excellent the more I get in to it. I was impressing some of the iPhone zealots in work with the voice search for businesses being integrated in to maps.

Any idea what Microsoft tags are?

Now its our fault!!!

;)

Ye it is, should have listened :p

Being serious though, mods dont decide on forum requests so your beefs not with me :)

Ok guys. Lets start spamming the Mobiles and PDA's section. Start LOTS of new threads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Cool!

The whole Bing package is actually quite excellent the more I get in to it. I was impressing some of the iPhone zealots in work with the voice search for businesses being integrated in to maps.

Having great fun with the voice.......it can't understand d'aul bog accent at all..LOL.....e.g when I say 'coffee' it searches for concrete :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Having great fun with the voice.......it can't understand d'aul bog accent at all..LOL.....e.g when I say 'coffee' it searches for concrete :D

Try changing the localle to UK or US.

What i found is when my phone was set to Ireland, it couldnt really recognise my voice. I set it to the US and bam it works like a charm.

Too bad thougg that we dont have Local Scout. Its on feature i would really love to have.

I already enjoy the bing search on the phone. Especially when searching for products. If i put in the product name into it. It always find the prooduct description. Where to buy them online and some product reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I read somewhere that Bing can search for details of music being played, like shazam and I've seen a screenshot showing 4 icons on the bing tab. I only have 2, the extra ones I dont have are a music icon and what appears to be groups/people.

Is this feature not in Ireland or am missing something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Any idea what Microsoft tags are?
    They're like QR codes, but slightly more colourful. You see them on a few things (lots of MS stuff ;)) but they're not as common as QR.

Down South wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Bing can search for details of music being played, like shazam and I've seen a screenshot showing 4 icons on the bing tab. I only have 2, the extra ones I dont have are a music icon and what appears to be groups/people.

Is this feature not in Ireland or am missing something ?

No database for Ireland. If you go into settings and change All location settings to US and restart the phone they should pop up.

But the music search feature and local scouts are useless. Cause we dont have Zune Music Marketplace in Ireland. Neither a local search database from bing.

On my phone i have Scout/Vision/Voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

N
    But the music search feature and local scouts are useless. Cause we dont have Zune Music Marketplace in Ireland. Neither a local search database from bing.

On my phone i have Scout/Vision/Voice.

they really need to sort that out if they want to be taken seriously alright.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    they really need to sort that out if they want to be taken seriously alright.

Dont i know it :D:D

I just use Bingle Maps for Local Search. Its free and does a great job

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement