Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shaggyskunk

Hi, I just got my focus & it has o/s Ver. 7.0.7008.0 I installed zune yesterday & there was a meesege saying that an update was available, I installed it, but I have no idea what was installed. Now the phone says that there is "no update found"?

What, where, how do I get the 7.5/mango update?

Thanks

I am in Canada with Rogers Mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

No database for Ireland. If you go into settings and change All location settings to US and restart the phone they should pop up.

But the music search feature and local scouts are useless. Cause we dont have Zune Music Marketplace in Ireland. Neither a local search database from bing.

I don't understand how Bing Maps isn't searchable on the phone but is on the website - it doesn't make much sense. Makes the maps totally useless outside of the US :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Davy wrote: »
    if you want to post something windows 7 related, you can make a new thread. Everything doesn't have to go into this thread!
    This is what I'll be doing from now on anyway.
    I don't want to subscribe to the entire Mobiles & PDAs forum; None of it interests me other than the WP7 threads
    Thread prefixes would be one way of fixing that. With two clicks all of the irrevelant threads could be hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

markpb wrote: »
    I don't understand how Bing Maps isn't searchable on the phone but is on the website - it doesn't make much sense. Makes the maps totally useless outside of the US :(

Can you not search bing maps and find locations and get directions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Thinking of flashing my optimus 7 to a non branded ROM so I can download the mango update (without forcing since it does not update device drivers)

Anybody know of any good guides? I had a look on XDa developers but I don't know which ROM is the best one to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Thinking of flashing my optimus 7 to a non branded ROM so I can download the mango update (without forcing since it does not update device drivers)

Anybody know of any good guides? I had a look on XDa developers but I don't know which ROM is the best one to use

There is another way to force Mango which allows you to install the specific phone update also. You basically try to install the Mango beta and at the beginning of that it checks to see if there is a newer version available and installs the RTM Mango update instead. I did this at the weekend and last part of the update was to install the LG firmware update.

Method I used was to uninstall the 4.8 Zune Client and install 4.7 Client. Then run the batch file from here. It then opens Zune and starts checking for the update. An hour later phone is updated to Mango with all setting still intact.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    There is another way to force Mango which allows you to install the specific phone update also. You basically try to install the Mango beta and at the beginning of that it checks to see if there is a newer version available and installs the RTM Mango update instead. I did this at the weekend and last part of the update was to install the LG firmware update.

Method I used was to uninstall the 4.8 Zune Client and install 4.7 Client. Then run the batch file from here. It then opens Zune and starts checking for the update. An hour later phone is updated to Mango with all setting still intact.

Thanks man :) Going to try that now

Sorry to double post but how do I get zune 4.7? I can only find the latest version online :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Sorry to double post but how do I get zune 4.7? I can only find the latest version online :o

From Microsoft here.

Turns out I may not have to go to all that trouble :) When I reinstalled zune it prompted me for the mango update

• Advertisement

Can anybody download the VEVO application? Its not showing in the marketplace for me and when I click on the zune link on my phone it gives me message saying that "This application is not available on your phone or region" :confused:

Weird thing is that I had the option to download it a few weeks ago :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

It seems to be available in the American Marketplace, but not the Irish one anymore. I had it installed on my phone as well. How strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Like the look of the HTC Titan - although I do hate their own tiles design.

Now that I know I'm not getting the next iPhone, I keep on looking on the various WP7 offerings. Half considering the SGS2/NP & Arc S still, but honestly everytime I check out the SGS2 thread I get put off. The thread seems to primarily consist of people messing around with ROMs - great if that's your thing - but it couldn't be anymore off putting to me now. I just want a phone that works.

Like the look of the HTC Titan - although I do hate their own tiles design.

Now that I know I'm not getting the next iPhone, I keep on looking on the various WP7 offerings. Half considering the SGS2/NP & Arc S still, but honestly everytime I check out the SGS2 thread I get put off. The thread seems to primarily consist of people messing around with ROMs - great if that's your thing - but it couldn't be anymore off putting to me now. I just want a phone that works.

If you want a good review of Windows Phone you should read the "30 days with Windows Phone 7" review on PC World

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/241544/windows_phone_7_day_30_wp7_mango_is_ready_for_prime_time.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Can anybody download the VEVO application? Its not showing in the marketplace for me and when I click on the zune link on my phone it gives me message saying that "This application is not available on your phone or region" :confused:

Weird thing is that I had the option to download it a few weeks ago :o

The app won't work as well =(

Its gone here as well. Hopefully it will come back. It was a very good app!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Since I installed Mango on my LG my gps won't work properly. At first I thought it was a problem with turn by turn but when I use any mapping software my position is updated every three or four minutes. totally useless now for satnav!

Since I installed Mango on my LG my gps won't work properly. At first I thought it was a problem with turn by turn but when I use any mapping software my position is updated every three or four minutes. totally useless now for satnav!

Thats probably not picking up GPS. Sounds more like its using AGPS.

On my Omnia 7 is takes a while to pick up GPS but my phone holder is right beside the gearstick and not the window so it makes sense.

Thats probably not picking up GPS. Sounds more like its using AGPS.

On my Omnia 7 is takes a while to pick up GPS but my phone holder is right beside the gearstick and not the window so it makes sense.

Good point, although i never had a problem with it before on any gps phone. Once it had the signal it had it for good. I will try putting up on the dashboard now and take a drive around the town and see how it fares out.

Good point, although i never had a problem with it before on any gps phone. Once it had the signal it had it for good. I will try putting up on the dashboard now and take a drive around the town and see how it fares out.

Try a Galaxy S2 :D haha my ones takes about 10 mins to pick up a GPS signal in Dublin :D

I did a reset on the phone. But mango stayed on it. I am doing the restore with Zune software now to see if it starts working again. If it still doesn't work then I will assume that the GPS antenna is no longer working. ( there was no gps icon in the top bar after mango) I may be going back to CPW to look for a replacement. I see on the vodafone website that they LG is "out of stock".

• Advertisement

I've been trawling the web and it seems like there is a bug with the mango update and gps. the fix is to go back to NODO. Oh well.... It was fun while it lasted. C'mon Nokia...it's time to put on make up...!

I did a reset on the phone. But mango stayed on it. I am doing the restore with Zune software now to see if it starts working again. If it still doesn't work then I will assume that the GPS antenna is no longer working. ( there was no gps icon in the top bar after mango) I may be going back to CPW to look for a replacement. I see on the vodafone website that they LG is "out of stock".

Windows Phone 7 doesnt indicate when the GPS antenna is active.

Not that i ever noticed anyway.

The Sat nav on my LG worked fine after I rolled back to NoDo. But I miss having my text messages read out and the big buttons on the lock screen for skipping music tracks. So for the time being I will go back to mango and brush the dust off my garmin.

Navigon Sat Nav is now available for Windows Phone in the market place

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/da8734ed-666a-4227-81ea-8fc937752d98

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Navigon Sat Nav is now available for Windows Phone in the market place

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/da8734ed-666a-4227-81ea-8fc937752d98

Only €60.. If the bundled the US maps with it I might consider thinking about it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ouch. Been looking forward to this, but €60 is pretty steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Jaysus. There's no trial version? I wouldn't pay €60 for an app without giving it a trial first. Feck, I played the trial of Implosion to death before grudgingly deciding that I'd part with the €2.99 the full version cost. :P

Implosion was worth it too. :)

stevenmu wrote: »
    Ouch. Been looking forward to this, but €60 is pretty steep.

In a way the price makes sense. Were only paying for the software of the Sat Nav. So makes sense. But 60 for an app is quite steep ahri and without a trial i say feck that :pac:

Only €60.. If the bundled the US maps with it I might consider thinking about it...

Thats the cheap introductory offer, it will jump up to 85 euros :pac:

• Advertisement

Thats the cheap introductory offer, it will jump up to 85 euros :pac:

Probably :) Full Fledged Sat Nav is just as expensive on iOS.

Wish we just had UK & Ireland Version only. DOnt need the whole Europe. Its nearly 3GB in size as well. It would take up too much space on my already limited 8GB storage :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Probably :) Full Fledged Sat Nav is just as expensive on iOS.

Wish we just had UK & Ireland Version only. DOnt need the whole Europe. Its nearly 3GB in size as well. It would take up too much space on my already limited 8GB storage :S

xda devs have already worked out a way to delete maps you don't need to save some space. You need dev unlocked handset though. Ireland map is only around 12mb IIRC! 60 euro is very saucy though; since they're the only offline maps provider on wp7 I suppose they can charge what they like!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In a way the price makes sense. Were only paying for the software of the Sat Nav. So makes sense. But 60 for an app is quite steep ahri and without a trial i say feck that :pac:
    Yeah, does make sense, especially when you consider the price a dedicated sat nav with all those features would cost. I'd prefer a cheaper less feature rich version personally, but may end up going for this all the same.

Might give it a few weeks first though to just in case it ends up as a cheaper "app of the week" type deal.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Yeah, does make sense, especially when you consider the price a dedicated sat nav with all those features would cost. I'd prefer a cheaper less feature rich version personally, but may end up going for this all the same.

Might give it a few weeks first though to just in case it ends up as a cheaper "app of the week" type deal.

As previously pointed out this is the cheaper itroduction rate. At the end of the month the price will go up.

App of the week applies to Xbox Live Games only i think :(

To late, I bought it... Just trying it out now and its seems pretty good. I only really need the Ireland, UK and Spain maps. Feck it, it was only 60 spuds and it might come in handy if I ever get lost in Bosnia and Herzegovina! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

To late, I bought it... Just trying it out now and its seems pretty good. I only really need the Ireland, UK and Spain maps. Feck it, it was only 60 spuds and it might come in handy if I ever get lost in Bosnia and Herzegovina! :D

I'd be interested in your thoughts in a week or so. If it turns out to be a good sat nav i.e it has CURRENT Irish maps I'd consider buying before the end of the intro price.
    As an aside would I be correct in thinking that if I changed WP7 phones in the future I could reload the software/apps straight onto the new phone at no extra cost?

• Advertisement

I see Vodafone are going to be stocking the Titan. They usually have great prices on their prepaid handsets, so I'm wondering do they lock their phones. Keeping with Irish carriers only just noticed how few WP7 phones they now offer.

obriea3 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in your thoughts in a week or so. If it turns out to be a good sat nav i.e it has CURRENT Irish maps I'd consider buying before the end of the intro price.
    As an aside would I be correct in thinking that if I changed WP7 phones in the future I could reload the software/apps straight onto the new phone at no extra cost?

Yup. You can transfer it between devices if you upgraded in the future. Obviously not cross platform but you can update on a diff phone. I had some app bought on the HD2, HD7 and i still have them on my Omnia 7 :)
    I see Vodafone are going to be stocking the Titan. They usually have great prices on their prepaid handsets, so I'm wondering do they lock their phones. Keeping with Irish carriers only just noticed how few WP7 phones they now offer.

More than likely it will be locked. CPW might have a few unlocked ones at the start. But i seriously doubt it. From my experience vodafone will always do anything to lock a handset before it reaches a customers hands :)

obriea3 wrote: »

I won't be doing much driving around outside of Dublin for the moment but If there's any place's you'd like me to check and compare to say google maps let me know.

EDIT:
    I found this video review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

guys,

I've had to wipe my PC and so had to wipe zune.

Can I just download it again, and just connect up my phone?
    or will this affect whats already on my phone --- profiles, ...?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    guys,

I've had to wipe my PC and so had to wipe zune.

Can I just download it again, and just connect up my phone?
    or will this affect whats already on my phone --- profiles, ...?

yeah you can just download it again. The stuff on your phone is safe :)

• Advertisement

Turn By Turn sat nav to have downloadable Navteq maps later this week.

http://www.wpcentral.com/new-gps-navigation-app-feature-offline-navteq-maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Presumably Nokia maps will be available before too long, hard to justify dishing out €60 on the Navigon even if it looks rather tasty.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Hey guys,

I feel stupid even asking this question cause it's so simple but I can't figure out how to import my contacts TO my SIM. Easy to import from it but I'm changing phones and can't for the life of me figure it out.

Help appreciated!

Cheers.

Undead wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I feel stupid even asking this question cause it's so simple but I can't figure out how to import my contacts TO my SIM. Easy to import from it but I'm changing phones and can't for the life of me figure it out.

Help appreciated!

Cheers.

You cant. Only way to export is to log into hotmail and export contacts from there.

What phone are you moving them to?

On Android you have a hotmail app that can sync them to your android phone over the air. On iOS i think they would sync autmatically once you add hotmail.

Really once you have your contacts synced to the cloud going back to the SIM is a pain :) I have 0 contacts in my sim for the past 2 years ;) Their all in the cloud :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hey guys,

Help appreciated!

Cheers.

Sync them with computer or windows live or similar, and then transfer to new phone. Putting back to sim wont transfer all the details that are stored on the phone

Do-more wrote: »
    Presumably Nokia maps will be available before too long, hard to justify dishing out €60 on the Navigon even if it looks rather tasty.

It's a moot point given that there are no Nokia MP7 devices out there and Nokia Maps is expected to be exclusive to Nokia devices.

It's a moot point given that there are no Nokia MP7WP7 devices out there and Nokia Maps is expected to be exclusive to Nokia devices.

I think nokia maps wont be exclusive. They might end up in a form of an app. I pressume they will eventually will be integrated into Bing Maps. That was part of the agreement with MS and Nokia as far as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

You cant. Only way to export is to log into hotmail and export contacts from there.

What phone are you moving them to?

On Android you have a hotmail app that can sync them to your android phone over the air. On iOS i think they would sync autmatically once you add hotmail.

Really once you have your contacts synced to the cloud going back to the SIM is a pain :) I have 0 contacts in my sim for the past 2 years ;) Their all in the cloud :P

Yeah I had input the wrong password into Google so that's why I couldn't sync them, forgot I used Google since the iOS! Drama over, thanks :)

Moving to a HTC Radar for a few weeks.

I think nokia maps wont be exclusive. They might end up in a form of an app. I pressume they will eventually will be integrated into Bing Maps. That was part of the agreement with MS and Nokia as far as i remember

I could maybe see it being free with Nokia and a paid app for everyone else for some time. Couldn't see Nokia easily giving up what is a huge competitive advantage over the rival WP7 manufacturers.

Yeah I had input the wrong password into Google so that's why I couldn't sync them, forgot I used Google since the iOS! Drama over, thanks :)

Moving to a HTC Radar for a few weeks.

Ah cool :) Let us know hows the Radar in a bit :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement