Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    The company I work for have just launched their App for 1 of their 2 main brands and guess what ....

iPhone and Android devices only!?:mad:

So, no value in developing an app for windows phones at the mo :(

Lol and they never will get anything then

Cant just be looking at spending figures. Have to plan for the future, interest, possibilities, trends, companies that forecast future shareholders. Would you rather shop somewhere where you have a full availability of services or somewhere where your half baked and left in the corner?

No one though Android would get near iPhone 3 years ago...Look at it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I broke my headphones for my optimus yesterday. Can anyone recomend a good pair of canal type headphones with mic to get? I will be going to America in a couple of weeks so I don't mind picking something up over there. I tried my old nokia ones which, I thought had the same connection -but they don't work. I don't think ordinary headphones work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Can't stress enough how useless wp7 is. Battery life is non excistant ,no app support, useless radio, shocking screen.

I broke my headphones for my optimus yesterday. Can anyone recomend a good pair of anal type headphones with mic to get? I will be going to America in a couple of weeks so I don't mind picking something up over there. I tried my old nokia ones which, I thought had the same connection -but they don't work. I don't think ordinary headphones work either.

Fixed? :)
    Can't stress enough how useless wp7 is. Battery life is non excistant ,no app support, useless radio, shocking screen.

finished trolling? :)

Posted from my Windows Phone 7.5

Not trolling honest feedback of my experience of WP7. Take for it what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Windows Phone 7 sold more handsets in its first year than Android handsets where sold and had more apps in the first year than Android did :D

http://wmpoweruser.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

You have obviously not used one!

Not trolling honest feedback of my experience of WP7. Take for it what you will.

Honest feedback based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

With the exception of the apps, none of the other issues you're complained about is a result of the OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

which phone do you have? I'm on a hd7 and can get a full day out of my phone provided my email is set to check every 15 minutes and not constantly. Display is not as good as super amoled either but its certainly not terrible! Radio is also fine, what in particular do you find useless about it? the app selection is not of course as good as android or iphone but it still has all the essentials and some unique apps of its own, what kind of apps are you missing, maybe we can help? You're not providing too many details which is why you're coming across as quite trollish ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

With the exception of the apps, none of the other issues you're complained about is a result of the OS.
    Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Absolute nonsense - I get a day and a half out of my Omnia 7 and that involves plenty of usage. Shocking screen?? - What model are you using, have you even held a windows phone?

Honest feedback based on?
    A years worth of usage of the HD 7 windows phone

That is fair. I stand corrected the HTC HD7 windows phone is useless

which phone do you have? I'm on a hd7 and can get a full day out of my phone provided my email is set to check every 15 minutes and not constantly. Display is not as good as super amoled either but its certainly not terrible! Radio is also fine, what in particular do you find useless about it? the app selection is not of course as good as android or iphone but it still has all the essentials and some unique apps of its own, what kind of apps are you missing, maybe we can help? You're not providing too many details which is why you're coming across as quite trollish ;-)
    Just changed that setting about email. The Radio doesn't seem to work if I go 2 foot in doors say the local shop for example , I don't expect it to work in the middle of a shopping centre . The Display doesn't have enough resolution if I go RTE I've to zoom to read any news stories, the iPhone and others I tried don't need to me zoomed . However as stated these are all issue with the hardware not the software.

As for Apps a decent G talk app, a decent facebook app and a decent twitter app.

That is fair. I stand corrected the HTC HD7 windows phone is useless

Well I think you should rather thank HTC for making a big phone with a small battery and a plain LCD tft screen.

HTC hd7 battery life wasn't close to as good as it is on Omnia or Optimus. Even though an average Joe would still get a good days use out of it.

You just picked the wrong phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Just changed that setting about email. The Radio doesn't seem to work if I go 2 foot in doors say the local shop for example , I don't expect it to work in the middle of a shopping centre . The Display doesn't have enough resolution if I go RTE I've to zoom to read any news stories, the iPhone and others I tried don't need to me zoomed . However as stated these are all issue with the hardware not the software.

As for Apps a decent G talk app, a decent facebook app and a decent twitter app.

have to agree on the facebook app, it is sht*t!
    personally I think the twitter app is ok.

Well I think you should rather thank HTC for making a big phone with a small battery and a plain LCD tft screen.

HTC hd7 battery life wasn't close to as good as it is on Omnia or Optimus. Even though an average Joe would still get a good days use out of it.

You just picked the wrong phone...

My Boss picked the wrong phone :p

Don't use gtalk so I cant help.

I'll agree Facebook and twitter apps are quite **** cause their slow. Still don't know why they haven't updated it to Mango...

I just use the built in apps as their quick as hell.

Regarding battery life if im correct hd7 has a 1250 mah battery. Which is way too little for a smartphone especially with a large lcd display.

My Omnia has 1500 mah with a smaller screen and Samoled so I can get alot more battery life for those two reasons.

Apps wise its only a year old platform so not too much to expect. Covers most users needs as there's a group Microsoft hired to make most desired applications.

Otherwise at least im pretty happy with mango since I got it and got tethering.

Obviously google isn't going allow Microsoft implement the likes of gtalk, nor I think Microsoft will want to promote gtalk while they have Skype and WLM.

As it is already the reason the YouTube app from Microsoft is so crap because google won't allow them to implement the same features as they have on IOS or android.

Though html5 version of youtube is pretty good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The Radio doesn't seem to work if I go 2 foot in doors say the local shop for example , I don't expect it to work in the middle of a shopping centre .

Have you tried Tunein radio? It will play FM radio and when the signal goes changes to WiFi or hsdpa. That's if you're listening to an Irish station. I have mostly found myself listening to American stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Sudoko is free on the marketplace for those that dont know. Its an XBL Arcade game also, which means achievements.

DjFlin wrote: »

Tbh if i dont see a Focus S variant here im skipping the 7.5 bandwagon unless Nokia gonna bring something really really special.

Focus S isnt too much slab like i was expecting it to be. Its has nice enough rounded corners, which is a winner for me and i want the SAMOLED+. But if we are going to see only the Omnia W in EU, i dont think ill bother getting an upgrade :(

Good news for consumers though :)

Personally, I'd love a Titan. Couldn't justify getting one though, Optimus 7 is still doing a great job.

Anyone else a little disappointed that you need to have your PC turned on to be able to use DLNA with an Xbox? It seems a little redundant to me. And a massive waste of energy. If My PC needs to be on, I can just stream from the PC to the 360, why bother with the Phone...

Since we now have fairly good screen capture software for our WP7 devices (it only took a year), I thought I would share my start screen. Hopefully others will too, I'd be interested to see what other apps people have pinned to theirs, if they pin websites, are there many live tiles, do people pin email folders, pin contacts etc. I tend to add or remove 3 or 4 tiles each week as needs be, usually nearer the bottom of the screen. The top of the screen remains fairly static as that is where all the important stuff goes. And of course: too many tiles?

U0J31l.png
    Full Size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Since we now have fairly good screen capture software for our WP7 devices (it only took a year),

We do? Please tell. :)

Since we now have fairly good screen capture software for our WP7 devices (it only took a year), I thought I would share my start screen. Hopefully others will too, I'd be interested to see what other apps people have pinned to theirs, if they pin websites, are there many live tiles, do people pin email folders, pin contacts etc. I tend to add or remove 3 or 4 tiles each week as needs be, usually nearer the bottom of the screen. The top of the screen remains fairly static as that is where all the important stuff goes. And of course: too many tiles?

Not sure if I should embed this or not...

Thats going to lead to long assed posts. Not sure what the point is given that WP7 is so standardized either.

We do? Please tell. :)

Here, but you have to be dev unlocked / chevron unlocked. And you'll have to copy and paste a few screens together if you have a long start screen.
    Thats going to lead to long assed posts. Not sure what the point is given that WP7 is so standardized either.

Yeah it should probably be a thumb and a link. EDIT: just scaled it down a bit.

But anyway I'd like to see what other people have done with their start screens since there is such a huge range of tiles with live / flip features, and it would be interesting to see what Irish-oriented apps others are using as well, no? It's a bit of a myth at this stage that the WP7 start screen is "highly standardised", you're limited only by your own creativity.

Heres mine :) I dont like clutter. And the stuff on my homescreen is most important on a day to day basis :) I do add and remove stuff once in a while :)

screencapture2uc.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here, but you have to be dev unlocked / chevron unlocked. And you'll have to copy and paste a few screens together if you have a long start screen.

Yeah it should probably be a thumb and a link. EDIT: just scaled it down a bit.

But anyway I'd like to see what other people have done with their start screens since there is such a huge range of tiles with live / flip features, and it would be interesting to see what Irish-oriented apps others are using as well, no? It's a bit of a myth at this stage that the WP7 start screen is "highly standardised", you're limited only by your own creativity.

I can kinda understand the screenshots thing with Android where there's a large variety of Launchers, but here besides adding tiles and choosing the overall colour scheme you can? This has reminded me is how static shots of WP7 do the UI a disservice. I remember how it looked completely unappealing to me. It was only when I finally played with the Omnia 7 that I finally got what MS were up to.

• Advertisement

I can kinda understand the screenshots thing with Android where there's a large variety of Launchers, but here besides adding tiles and choosing the overall colour scheme you can? This has reminded me is how static shots of WP7 do the UI a disservice. I remember how it looked completely unappealing to me. It was only when I finally played with the Omnia 7 that I finally got what MS were up to.

I was on the same boat.

I thought it was gonna be good. But it wasnt something i was planning upgrading to over my HD2.

But once i got to play around with the port everything changed...1 year later. Hey im a happy wp7 owner :D

I was on the same boat.

I thought it was gonna be good. But it wasnt something i was planning upgrading to over my HD2.

But once i got to play around with the port everything changed...1 year later. Hey im a happy wp7 owner :D

Pretty much the same as me. I even messed around with Android on my HD2 but once I put WP7 on my HD2, I knew what OS my next phone was going to have. :D

Now just waiting to see the 3 new Windows Phone Nokia will be releasing on Wednesday before I get my next one. ;)

Heres mine :) I dont like clutter. And the stuff on my homescreen is most important on a day to day basis :) I do add and remove stuff once in a while :)

So do you find the facebook touch website better than the actual facebook app? I find myself using the integrated facebook features in the People hub and the Photos hub more and more often so it's likely the facebook app will get unpinned altogether.

When I started off with WP7 I tried to keep it to 9 vertical tiles maximum, but as more and more live tile apps come onboard, and as I started pinning the apps or websites that I use on a daily basis, that it grew to the current monster number. I need to cut it back!

There is an interesting new tool being devleoped here that provides basic folder support; this could be handy for non-live-tile and ocassional-use apps that need to be a bit closer and easier to get to than the long apps list.
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as me. I even messed around with Android on my HD2 but once I put WP7 on my HD2, I knew what OS my next phone was going to have. :D

Now just waiting to see the 3 new Windows Phone Nokia will be releasing on Wednesday before I get my next one. ;)

Funny, I was really looking forward to Android at the start but when I finally started using it there was a sense of "is this it?" and I was surprised that I just wasn't as interested in customising it as I had been with WM6.5. Maybe it's too similar to iOS. When WP7 was announced it immediately clicked with me and I've been encouraging anybody who will listen to go with WP7 since.

Those Nokia handsets are going to be amazing; the N9 is a beautiful handset with a pretty but flawed UI. But a WP7.5 version of it with integrated Nokia services could well be a return to the glory days for Nokia: the perfect match of hardware and software.

So do you find the facebook touch website better than the actual facebook app? I find myself using the integrated facebook features in the People hub and the Photos hub more and more often so it's likely the facebook app will get unpinned altogether.

I dont use it that much. Sometimes i prefer to go on touch though. Native one is alot more faster and alot more consistent. But it doesnt have all the functions of a real facebook app. So i just use the website sometimes.

I also have boards and twitter pinned as well. Most of my tweets are from tech companies with links to articles. So i dont like jumping in and out from the app to the web browser. So just using m.twitter.com is just easier :)

I dont even have the Facebook App installed. The People Hub does everything I need. I still use the Twitter app though, People Hub is not quite there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

DjFlin wrote: »
    I dont even have the Facebook App installed. The People Hub does everything I need. I still use the Twitter app though, People Hub is not quite there yet.

Unless I'm missing it, you can't check in to a place and tag other people from the built in app, you must use the external Facebook app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

If you go to the Me hub, under Profile, there's a button for checking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

If you go to the Me hub, under Profile, there's a button for checking in.

I know :) I said that you can't check in *and* tag other people in the check-in, like you can in the app.

Engadget have a photo of the Nokia 800 up. Love the hardware of the n9 but there is something off about this. Maybe it's what i was saying about wp7 looking poor in photos. The three Capactive buttons slightly take from the design as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/25/nokia-800-gets-pictured-ready-for-its-close-up/

Also there's this. A possible spec sheet of the (looking ugly) Nokia 900.

http://thenokiablog.com/2011/10/25/nokia-900-leak/

So, looks like we have 3 new Nokia WP7 phones: The 900 (Ace), Lumia 800 (Searay) and Lumia 710 (Sabre)

Winrumors has the details on the Lumia series here

Generally it seems like the Ace will be the flagship model, with slightly rounded edges as can be seen in Oafley Jones link, whereas the Lumia 800 is based off the N9 and has a more defined look (my personal favourite). The Lumia 710 should probably be the budget model with a more conventional shape. I would still expect the build quality to be quite high across the whole range.

Specs in general are quite good and are what you would expect, but it would seem that Nokia will have at least 2 memory choices for each of the high-end models (16GB to 64GB apparently). Looking forward to the all important pricing and availability details in the coming days!

• Advertisement

So, looks like we have 3 new Nokia WP7 phones: The 900 (Ace), Lumia 800 (Searay) and Lumia 710 (Sabre)

Winrumors has the details on the Lumia series here

Generally it seems like the Ace will be the flagship model, with slightly rounded edges as can be seen in Oafley Jones link, whereas the Lumia 800 is based off the N9 and has a more defined look (my personal favourite). The Lumia 710 should probably be the budget model with a more conventional shape. I would still expect the build quality to be quite high across the whole range.

Specs in general are quite good and are what you would expect, but it would seem that Nokia will have at least 2 memory choices for each of the high-end models (16GB to 64GB apparently). Looking forward to the all important pricing and availability details in the coming days!

Strange memory capacities, same as the N9. I don't know why but I'm surprised by the 710, it doesn't look far off those junky S60 touchscreen phones that you'd get for 150-250 euro. I know MS are expecting to gain huge amount of sales from Nokia, but I didn't envisage them going that route. It'll be interesting to see how cheap the 710 is.

That Nokia Ace is a fake, its an old concept done by a fan.

htc_nokia7.jpg

htc_nokia8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I was originally waiting for the Nokia's to be announced as I loved the old Nokia phones I have had but as soon as I saw the Titan, Nokia went out the window.

Got the Titan yesterday and absolutely love the phone, monster screen, really light (compared to iPhone 3GS and my LG) and so nippy. Had it side by side with the LG to compare app opening time and the extra GHz really make the difference.

Watching the keynote now and I really dislike the capacitive buttons and therefore the smaller screen of the n800. Such a small thing but takes away from the looks of the n9.

Some nice pictures of the Nokia 800 here,

http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia-lumia-800-0/#4557830

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Such a small thing but takes away from the looks of the n9.

Whereas I prefer it, different strokes for different folks :cool:

Watching the keynote now and I really dislike the capacitive buttons and therefore the smaller screen of the n800. Such a small thing but takes away from the looks of the n9.

There seems to be lots of space between the bottom of the phone to the buttons. Seems sorta wasted space to me :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Disappointed there was no mention of the 900, probably the only one that would of interested me. 3.7" screen on the 800 is too small for my liking.

• Advertisement

There seems to be lots of space between the bottom of the phone to the buttons. Seems sorta wasted space to me :S

They're far too high up on the device as well. It throws of the n9s balance. I was hoping that nokia would have been allowed to incorporate the buttons into the larger n9 screen. There seems to be some confusion as to whether its a clearblack lcd or the clearblack AMOLED. Not sure if I could justify the 200 difference between the devices though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement