Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Any hints of anyone in Ireland carrying these new Nokias? The Lumia 710 is at a fantastic price point (€270 without contract) which I think positions it well to capture some of the budget market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

They're far too high up on the device as well. It throws of the n9s balance. I was hoping that nokia would have been allowed to incorporate the buttons into the larger n9 screen. There seems to be some confusion as to whether its a clearblack lcd or the clearblack AMOLED. Not sure if I could justify the 200 difference between the devices though.

Yeah the buttons being so high is kind of unusual, I suppose it's a symptom of fitting a different resolution screen into the N9 casing. It might make it easier to reach these buttons on a smaller handset however. Will have to try it out to see how it feels. And I believe the screen is the premium AMOLED display (can't remember where I read this, sorry), whereas the Lumia 710 only has the basic clearblack LCD (which is still not a bad display by the looks of things). EDIT: just noticed that the cheaper Lumia 710 has hardware buttons, rather than the capacitive ones on the 800. Not the biggest fan of those.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Any hints of anyone in Ireland carrying these new Nokias? The Lumia 710 is at a fantastic price point (€270 without contract) which I think positions it well to capture some of the budget market

I asked O2 Ireland this via twitter about 2 weeks ago and heard nothing back. It's always worth keeping an eye on the O2 UK "coming soon" page, but unfortunately there's nothing WP7-related there right now. Doesn't bode well. Vodafone is the only one I've heard will carry a WP7.5 device, the HTC Titan. The off-contract prices are not completely unreasonable, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

After all that, it's a pretty big let down.

The Lumia 800 is basically an N9 with a slightly faster processor, half the RAM, a quarter of the storage and with no front facing camera.

:confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nokia-lumia-800-vs-nokia-n9-the-tale-of-the-tape/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

quad_red wrote: »
    After all that, it's a pretty big let down.

The Lumia 800 is basically an N9 with a slightly faster processor, half the RAM, a quarter of the storage and with no front facing camera.

:confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nokia-lumia-800-vs-nokia-n9-the-tale-of-the-tape/

After all what? The spec's have been out for a good while and I think it was well known that it was going to be using the same chassis as the N9. The only disappointment is there was no Nokia Ace. I agree they should have put on a front facing camera.

What's with the sudden must have a front facing camera. Video phone's have been around for years but the iPhone has one now so its a must have for everyone. They would have been better off sticking a FM radio on instead which would get far more use.

On another note, anytime and the only time I've seen someone using the front facing camera their using it to check or put on their make up. Now that I've told my girlfriend that, thats what her and her other friends use their's for. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

AntiVirus wrote: »
    What's with the sudden must have a front facing camera. Video phone's have been around for years but the iPhone has one now so its a must have for everyone. They would have been better off sticking a FM radio on instead which would get far more use.

A front-facing camera and Skype support would be excellent.

• Advertisement

I agreed that they should have put it on but for me its not a deal breaker but it could be a deal breaker for some. As I said above I've only ever seen it used (so far) as a mirror.

Of course when Skype comes out on the Windows Phones it will change all that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I've still got no interest in facing cameras. Had an old Samsung phone with one years ago, never used it. My 3 year old laptop has one, I literally have never used it. Netbooks got one too.

DjFlin wrote: »
    I've still got no interest in facing cameras. Had an old Samsung phone with one years ago, never used it. My 3 year old laptop has one, I literally have never used it. Netbooks got one too.

I would agree that for most people a FFC for Skype or whatever has very limited use. ie if you're not going to start switching all your voice calls to video calls just because you have a FFC. I never used it on my old HTC. But for regular Skype video chat users it would be a handy feature. My SO video-skypes a lot with her relations in Germany and the US so the idea of being able to do this on her phone instead of hauling the laptop around the house (quite the 1st world problem I must admit) really does appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I would agree that for most people a FFC for Skype or whatever has very limited use. ie if you're not going to start switching all your voice calls to video calls just because you have a FFC. I never used it on my old HTC. But for regular Skype video chat users it would be a handy feature. My SO video-skypes a lot with her relations in Germany and the US so the idea of being able to do this on her phone instead of hauling the laptop around the house (quite the 1st world problem I must admit) really does appeal.

Well my mother Skype alot. Her SE W995 is sort of giving up. So i was planning to get her a new phone for Xmas. But without FCC and Skype on the way I don't think its gonna be a Nokia one.

Update out now for LG Optimus 7 users! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Looks like they added wifi tethering & the ability to add hidden wifi networks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Starting the LG update now. What are the chances this is going to fix my gps issue? Guess I'll find out within the hour.
    Is it disappointment all round with nokia today? I was hoping for a front facing camera for skype, gorilla glass, lots of memory and the free navtaq maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

After all what?

After the Ace rumours you also mentioned! Instead of just trying to be on par, a proper flagship. Seriously beefy speed, a monster battery.

Instead it's a slightly downspecced N9 :confused:

How is this supposed to wow people or have them reconsider WP7?

i'd say the other manufacturers are breathing a sigh of relief.

quad_red wrote: »
    After the Ace rumours you also mentioned! Instead of just trying to be on par, a proper flagship. Seriously beefy speed, a monster battery.

Instead it's a slightly downspecced N9 :confused:

How is this supposed to wow people or have them reconsider WP7?

Ah I thought you where just talking about the Nokia 800 Lumia. Yes I was hoping they would release the Ace but they didn't :(

I still think the Nokia 800 Lumia is one of the best looking phones out there and the best looking Windows Phone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Too right they are, not good enough from Nokia in my opinion. Specs are ever more important these days with the likes of the GS2 causing people to actually take noice of underlying specs. Whether it's actually faster or not doesn't actually matter.

This phone won't sell based on specs alone, and although I like WP7, I don't think it's established enough for people to go for it. I really want Nokia to pic themselves up and release something which will top the charts specs wise.

N9 Body, with smaller capacitive buttons lower down, very high res screen, N8 camera with LED and Xenon flash, dual core processor, Qt, and a choice of Meego or WP7 would be lovely.

No sign of wireless tethering or hidden Wi-Fi access points from the update as far as I can see.

No sign of wireless tethering or hidden Wi-Fi access points from the update as far as I can see.
    I see a new option in settings called internet sharing. Looks like my lg can tether since the update.

That's curious. I've the open firmware too...

Too right they are, not good enough from Nokia in my opinion. Specs are ever more important these days with the likes of the GS2 causing people to actually take noice of underlying specs. Whether it's actually faster or not doesn't actually matter.

Ah see that's the problem. Sales people are trained to look at specs and not the actually performance and efficiency.

When I was being trained up every single OEM rep (excluding Nokia) went out of their way to explain the tid bits and ends of how its dual core processors are the thing everybody wants and its the best thing out there. Tbh ends and whistles dont matter to consumers. They havent a clue what dual core, ghz, ram,rom is.

Then clueless salesmen walk out of training brainwashed with specs that mean nothing and bring that back to the shops.

Nearly every mature person or females that walks into a shop looking for a high end device wants a couple of things.

Either have Apple or Nokia name on it, good battery life, reliable, robust, appealing looks, good camera, easy to use menus and apps. In majority of my cases apps aren't the big selling factor for majority of folks I deal with.

Very few people i have dealt with have asked me for specs. Most people come into the shop and ask for the best phone.

Sales men confused with bits and bobs just throw them the top end phone and thats the end of the sale.

Single core windows phone at 1 GHz is a lot smoother in most cases than any dual core android phone. Ive used LG Optimus 2x, SGS2, HTC Sensation.

Optimus 2x had a large amount of choppiness between transitions. HTC Sensation was alot more smoother. SGS2 was the smoothest in my case. But it still had a tad small lag once in a while.

Now im not sure about every one else. But ive sweet **** all lag. The only lag that comes is from badly developed apps (points finger at Facebook and Twitter app). It was an issue in mango due to the platform. But there are plenty of mango apps to prove that WP7 can run as smooth as butter.

iPhone doesn't need dual core either apart from the fact to enable faster web page loading and better gaming performance.

Theres plenty of stories on XDA where sales men were actually give free Windows Phones and still had no idea how to use it, ask them a question about a windows phone and they turn blue from confusion and point you to the iPhone. I know none of the people i work with know a thing about windows phone either. I was teaching one of my work mates about the Titan and she actually came to enjoy it after I gave her a tour about it. If some one comes into the shop asking something about windows phones i usually get called out to talk to the customer.

Speaking of facebook app :)

Looks like they finally might update it

http://www.wpcentral.com/facebook-will-be-mango-halloween?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement

I actually think the Nokia Lumia will sale very well. The majority of people haven't a clue what specs there phone's are. We all do but we're the minority :D

Also I just sold my girlfriends old iphone for 265 euros and I've been paid, I keep feeling I'm being scammed. How could it have sold for so much, read the thread here if you've the time. See what you think...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056424052

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Failed installation for me twice - 8018009b error code. MS support is as useful as a chocolate teapot....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

I see a new option in settings called internet sharing. Looks like my lg can tether since the update.
    What firmware version are you on?
    I'm getting "no update available"
    with
    Carrier: OPN
    firmware 1.1.2.10
    radio 1.1.2.10
    OS = 7.10.7720.68
    Bootloader = 1.5.1

got Mango using the forced update trick in Zune, - but am tempted to revert to previous version to see if another update attempt will get me internet tethering...

gman2k wrote: »
    Failed installation for me twice - 8018009b error code. MS support is as useful as a chocolate teapot....:mad:

Make sure your phone is charged up and try to make as much free room on the phone as possible. eg remove all your music an try again

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

pumbah wrote: »
    with
    firmware 1.1.2.10
    radio 1.1.2.10
    OS = 7.10.7720.68
    Bootloader = 1.5.1

got Mango using the forced update trick in Zune, - but am tempted to revert to previous version to see if another update attempt will get me internet tethering...

• OS version : 7.10.7720.68
    • Firmware: 1.0.16.10
    • Hardware: 1.0
    • Radio Software: 1.0.16.10
    • Radio Hardware: 0.3.5.0
    • Bootloader: 1.5.10
    • Chip Soc: 0.30.2.0

Optimus 7 ordered from Germany on Vodafone Ie Network.
    Had previously forced Mango.

Tethering working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

with
    firmware 1.1.2.10
    radio 1.1.2.10
    OS = 7.10.7720.68
    Bootloader = 1.5.1

My German Optimus was showing "no update available" when connected by wifi but when I connected it by cable to Zune on my PC the update popped up, just installing it now.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

gman2k wrote: »

I got greatr support on the windows phone twitter page when I had issues

Apparently the tethering updates are out for some Samsung Omnias as well. Nothing on the HD7 yet though.

With regards the "disappointing" Lumia 800 specs; why on earth would you build a handset with unnecessarily higher specs if all it means is that 2% of phone users will be happier? It would ultimately lead to decreased battery life and an increase in cost. WP7, even Mango, still runs perfectly on gen1 hardware.

Like already said, most smartphone buyers really don't give a shyte about specs; they want to know how the phone looks and feels. And when they try out a handset like the Lumia 800 the lasting impression will be 1) nice looking and 2) buttery smooth and fast. The specs under the hood won't matter an iota. And of course the bonus is better battery life and a cheaper phone.

Unfortunately Android development has become an arms race with the OS demanding more and more horsepower in order to simply function and operate smoothly, let alone do anything high-end.

Case in point; my father in law is buying his first smartphone. His choices essentially boil down to 1) what screen size would he prefer, 2) what's the battery life, 3) is it easy to use and 4) does it look snazzy. Unsurprisingly, he's been therefore looking at the Sony Ericsson Arc, the HTC Titan, the iPhone 4S, and now the Nokia Lumia 800 which he really likes the look of. Specs? He couldn't care less provided it works satisfactorily.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

Do-more wrote: »
    My German Optimus was showing "no update available" when connected by wifi but when I connected it by cable to Zune on my PC the update popped up, just installing it now.

Hmmmm...
    My German Optimus (unbranded) when connected by cable to Zune, still shows "no update available".
    From what I can gather the tethering update is only currently available for the 1.0.13.0 (updates to 1.0.16.0), and not yet available for the 1.1.2.10 version. Did anubody with the 1.1.2.10 version get the tethering update yet?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm...
    My German Optimus (unbranded) when connected by cable to Zune, still shows "no update available".
    From what I can gather the tethering update is only currently available for the 1.0.13.0 (updates to 1.0.16.0), and not yet available for the 1.1.2.10 version. Did anubody with the 1.1.2.10 version get the tethering update yet?

My advice would be to roll back to NODO (you can do this through ZUNE) and install the mango update officaly. Be sure to back up any files

How long does the optimus update take? I'm on my way home, and will only have a few minutes before having to again.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Update takes about 20 mins. However it could take longer. I wouldn't attempt it incase it does and you have to go.

The updates are ones you can live without.

Has anyone tested out GPS etc. on the updates yet.
    Endomondo wasn't working at all for me pre-update. I'll be trying it out later.

Boo_hoo wrote: »
    Update takes about 20 mins. However it could take longer. I wouldn't attempt it incase it does and you have to go.

The updates are ones you can live without.

Has anyone tested out GPS etc. on the updates yet.
    Endomondo wasn't working at all for me pre-update. I'll be trying it out later.

Cheers. Funny thing is, I'm going to a meeting in a hotel that's got no free WiFi, so tethering would be fairly handy.

gps still doesnt work after update on my LG. I'm getting fed up asking for directions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MJPE

Hi all, I had made my mine up and was going to buy LG Optimus 7 but now I think I should hang on and wait for Nokia Lumia 710. Guys and Girls what would you do in my position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Boo_hoo wrote: »
    • OS version : 7.10.7720.68
    • Firmware: 1.0.16.10
    • Hardware: 1.0
    • Radio Software: 1.0.16.10
    • Radio Hardware: 0.3.5.0
    • Bootloader: 1.5.10
    • Chip Soc: 0.30.2.0

Optimus 7 ordered from Germany on Vodafone Ie Network.
    Had previously forced Mango.

Tethering working.

Just updated my German Optimus 7 to version shown above after receiving notification today. Having problems connecting to internet now using vodafone.

I've set APN settings same as before.......I've set
    APN to live.vodafone.com
    Username
    blank,
    Password
    blank,
    Proxy server/URL--- blank,
    Proxy port
    blank.

Any suggestions please.....

MJPE wrote: »
    Hi all, I had made my mine up and was going to buy LG Optimus 7 but now I think I should hang on and wait for Nokia Lumia 710. Guys and Girls what would you do in my position?

I would definitely wait for the Nokia, it should be better build quality, a bit quicker (loading times etc), beter camera and display, and won't be much more expensive. You'll have to import it though as I don't think it's being specifically sold in the EU.

You won't be able to dev unlock these new phones either until they release the official chevron unlock (but that isn't a big deal anyway unless you want to customise the bejesus out of WP7).

You won't be able to dev unlock these new phones either until they release the official chevron unlock (but that isn't a big deal anyway unless you want to customise the bejesus out of WP7).

Hang on now... Sorry to be pedantic, but you can't "dev unlock" the phones? Surely you mean you won't be able to jailbreak them instead of unlocking them for developing apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Make sure your phone is charged up and try to make as much free room on the phone as possible. eg remove all your music an try again

I fully charged up the phone, turned off wifi and data connection and the update worked. There was no need to free up space, as I had about 10gigs free already.
    On Step 7, the backup hung for a long time at 92%, same as the previous failed attempts, but it upgraded successfully.
    I have to say, tethering is fab!

Hang on now... Sorry to be pedantic, but you can't "dev unlock" the phones? Surely you mean you won't be able to jailbreak them instead of unlocking them for developing apps?

Sorry yeah you're right, you will of course be able to officially unlock them for development purposes (€99 annual fee I think) but it's a simple unlock that only allows a handful of apps be sideloaded, and no interop functionality (ie no deep-level access to registry etc for some of the more hardcore hacks). The official chevron unlock, when it arrives, will probably be quite similar. It may be a while before somebody figures out a complete unlock / "jailbreak" of the new gen2 WP7.5 devices. But like I said, this should only worry you if you're into flashing your own ROMs, sideloading more than 3 apps at a time, tinkering with registry settings and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

hey. How do you turn off auto correct on messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Into Settings -> Keyboard -> Typing Settings, Keyboard (English - Tap to Change) -> change away

Trevor451 wrote: »
    can't wait for the maps. I'm going to have to brush the dust off my Nokia 5800xm if I fund my way home from Dublin. If anyone sees a white Scania from cork looking for hicks foods in ballymount -HELP!

Trevor451 wrote: »
    can't wait for the maps. I'm going to have to brush the dust off my Nokia 5800xm if I fund my way home from Dublin. If anyone sees a white Scania from cork looking for hicks foods in ballymount -HELP!

Does Nokia Maps have POI info for Ireland? Shops, Banks, ATMs and that sort of thing? If so that will be ideal. Hopefully it'll be integrated into the Bing search results.

Does Nokia Maps have POI info for Ireland? Shops, Banks, ATMs and that sort of thing? If so that will be ideal. Hopefully it'll be integrated into the Bing search results.

Well as far im aware POI and local data search results should be merged from Nokia Maps to Bing.

But yes Nokia Maps has POI's for Ireland. Has quite a good POI database for Ireland.

Ask any one that has a symbian device that their Nokia Drive Sat Nav is top class :)

It was great even on my ex N97 :)

Myself and the other windows phone user here in Cork have noticed that neither of us are getting vodafone text alerts to say we have a voice mail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Myself and the other windows phone user here in Cork have noticed that neither of us are getting vodafone text alerts to say we have a voice mail.
    Yes! I've been getting the exact same thing with an Omnia 7 on Vodafone too. I've noticed though if I look at the last voicemail text recieved it does seem to have been updated with the correct number of voicemails, so I think Vodafone is sending the text but WP7 is overwriting the last one and not flagging it as new for some reason. I do have 171 configured as my voicemail number so I'm going to try unsetting that and see if it makes a difference.

edit: nope, didn't work.

edit2: I think it started happening for me when I upgraded to mango, it definitely did work previously.

edit3: According to Vodafone NZ it's a known issue that MS will fix. They also seem to have the possibility of enabling a voicemail icon notification, not sure if that's available here.

As in a text message altert?

Whenever i get a voicemail it comes up as a notification on the "Phone" tile.

Once you ring up your voicemail and hear the voicemail it goes away.

Im on Meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Got my first windows phone. I've owned an iPhone and a few Android phones in the past. Like the windows interface, its fast, screen is great (Sumsung)

Looking for some tips and tricks if you guys have any. I've installed a few apps already that I used on other platforms and they're working great.

Any recommendations for twitter apps or do you just use the built in twitter app (Mango).

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement