Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

So i finally decided to remove the engineering Tmobile rom and flash back to a stock one that it came with. God the phone seems so slow without mango...Its like crawling lol. Not in a way thats its slow just the animations take longer than what im used to with mango or nodo, whenever the change came in.

Was there any advantage to the Tmobile rom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Was there any advantage to the Tmobile rom?

Mmm well back when i flashed it. It was the first Mango RTM ROM. It was an engineering rom and not a public one. It worked fine up till recently since i started getting quite bad data ping and sluggish web browsing. Hence why i flashed back to retail now.

On the third update now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I got my gps working again after it stopped when I updated to mango. Unfortunately I broke the cardinal rule of changing settings and changed around three or four at the same time. The reason was it was such a job to get into the MFG settings on the LG but I needed satnav immediately or I was going to run into trouble. I'm glad I didn't let the guy at the car phone warehouse take my phone in for repair like he wanted to.
    One thing I did notice, I had a job to do in a place in west cork yesterday that I would have never found without sat nav. I had the foresight to cache the maps on my wifi before I left the house, however, I took a wrong turn (turned too soon) because I was listening to the directions without glancing at the map and the sat nav never recalculated because it couldn't download new map data. So lesson learned, it might be worth my while to cache as much of the surrounding area one one particular route on the wifi before I travel. Going to America next week. I wonder could I cache the whole of the twin cities so I don't have to data roam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I got my gps working again after it stopped when I updated to mango. Unfortunately I broke the cardinal rule of changing settings and changed around three or four at the same time. The reason was it was such a job to get into the MFG settings on the LG but I needed satnav immediately or I was going to run into trouble. I'm glad I didn't let the guy at the car phone warehouse take my phone in for repair like he wanted to.
    One thing I did notice, I had a job to do in a place in west cork yesterday that I would have never found without sat nav. I had the foresight to cache the maps on my wifi before I left the house, however, I took a wrong turn (turned too soon) because I was listening to the directions without glancing at the map and the sat nav never recalculated because it couldn't download new map data. So lesson learned, it might be worth my while to cache as much of the surrounding area one one particular route on the wifi before I travel. Going to America next week. I wonder could I cache the whole of the twin cities so I don't have to data roam?

There is a limted offline maps application on the marketplace:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/d4d858fc-698d-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Only if nokia released nokia drive for non Nokia devices... :(

Bing Maps only cache a small amount of info.

Last week i went and plunged the 60 quid. Then went for a spin from the country side to DunDrum shopping centre.

Definetly worth it, Good performance, Good directions and stuff. Though the bloody thing still doesnt know my address or that my estate exists :) or where my work place is :)

Its well worth it though. Live traffic information and road works and stuff is really usefull as well :)

Just a thing i noticed last night . After all the updates were carried out from factory default free space was 7GB on my 8GB omnia 7.

After all the updates i had close enough to 6.2xGB of free space left with no apps installed. After doing a hard reset (camera button+ volume down + power it restored it back to 7GB. Its interesting to know where does mmm that space go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Just a thing i noticed last night . After all the updates were carried out from factory default free space was 7GB on my 8GB omnia 7.

After all the updates i had close enough to 6.2xGB of free space left with no apps installed. After doing a hard reset (camera button+ volume down + power it restored it back to 7GB. Its interesting to know where does mmm that space go...

Thats quite odd. I did notice a missing a gig or so missing after updating, but once I hard reset the phone it came back. Once it came back I assumed the missing space was just cached update files.

That said, my 16GB Optimus 7 has always said its has a 14.96GB total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

A quick Q: i've seen that HTC HD7 is sold at clearance on O2 network.
    Thinking to get one myself,as the HTC Titan is only available on Vodafone.
    I have a HD2 and Xperia Arc and Samsung...

Any reasons to don't go for the HD7 !?

Thans in advance...

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

A quick Q: i've seen that HTC HD7 is sold at clearance on O2 network.
    Thinking to get one myself,as the HTC Titan is only available on Vodafone.
    I have a HD2 and Xperia Arc and Samsung...

Thans in advance...

Quite disappointing battery life if mid core user. It has only a 1250 mah battery which just barely lasts ya a day. So you would have to throttle your usage.

The screen and the loud speakers arent the best. Same goes for the camera.

(on a side not i just went on o2 site to check it out, clicked on bluetooth as one of the features and the phone disappears, whats with phone sites not being able to support feature lists?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Quite disappointing battery life if mid core user. It has only a 1250 mah battery which just barely lasts ya a day. So you would have to throttle your usage.

(on a side not i just went on o2 site to check it out, clicked on bluetooth as one of the features and the phone disappears, whats with phone sites not being able to support feature lists?)

The thing is most smartphones only have at best 1 days battery life :o - At least with my 2 android handsets and my LG optimus 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Finally flashed my LG E900 with the correct Mango firmware after forcing the update when it came out and ending up with dodgey firmware.

The actually flashing process was a piece of cake. I've just spent ages getting it setup exactly as it was. It's still not 100% there...

Finally flashed my LG E900 with the correct Mango firmware after forcing the update when it came out and ending up with dodgey firmware.

The actually flashing process was a piece of cake. I've just spent ages getting it setup exactly as it was. It's still not 100% there...

I lost my internet tethering with the irish firmware!! :( have to hack it now...

I was expecting there would have been a firmware update for that at this stage

I lost my internet tethering with the irish firmware!! :( have to hack it now...

I was expecting there would have been a firmware update for that at this stage

I want that too, would be dead handy. Might hack mine too...ah i'll see!

Is there a way to backup my phone through zune? Want to have a copy of everything in case i mess things up again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Trevor451 wrote: »
    The thing is most smartphones only have at best 1 days battery life :o - At least with my 2 android handsets and my LG optimus 7
    battery life on my omnia 7 is pretty good. I think the Windows Phones have significantly better battery life in general.

Why the **** is there no windows 7 phone forum anyway. 2235 post thread is ridiculous. There are probably plenty of forums with fewer posts than that.

Kadongy wrote: »
    Why the **** is there no windows 7 phone forum anyway. 2235 post thread is ridiculous. There are probably plenty of forums with fewer posts than that.

The battery life on my all 5 smart phones does not keeps me going for more than a day,possible a day and a night,with 0% in the morning...

There was a poll in opening a sub Win7,but the mods loved the decision for iLater iTime,possible ... idunno !

Thanks for reply ...
    The O2 site sometimes is not rellevant at all,i found that if i ring their phone line,i get a 'more' up-to-date and the answer i need !! :)

Wi'll you go for a Mozart or a Titan !?

Thanks for reply ...
    The O2 site sometimes is not rellevant at all,i found that if i ring their phone line,i get a 'more' up-to-date and the answer i need !! :)

Wi'll you go for a Mozart or a Titan !?

Thats hard :) I prefer the Mozart :) Its a sweet looking device. HTC Titan is fine if you got big enough hands. I tested one myself and its a stunner of a phone. In terms of hardware its way nicer than HD7 and Mozart.

But my heart in design still stays with the Mozart :) You can also pick them up for 199£ on amazon so its alot cheaper too :) The only downside to the mozart i see is the 8GB memory.

Not a problem if your not a music fan. But i can barely survive with 8GB. Considering out of my 7GB available 3-4GB are taken up by apps (Navigon mainly)

I want that too, would be dead handy. Might hack mine too...ah i'll see!

Is there a way to backup my phone through zune? Want to have a copy of everything in case i mess things up again!

Try having a read here how to back up :)http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103011 . This will back up the whole lot and you will be able to restore the whole lot after

No idea how can you enable internet sharing on the Optimus 7 though. It was only a couple of simple registry hacks for my Omnia 7

God damn it. Even after installing the correct firmware, my Optimus 7 still reboots when I click on the search button. It only happens when it loads the new image of the day. Pain in the hole! At least it doesn't happen any other times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thans in advance...
    I've a HD7 and these are the things that bug the shit out of me on a daily basis with it:
    • Battery life. I had expected it to be bad but not this bad.
    • No expandable storage. There's 16Gb of storage and that's it. There's no facility to expand that because the phone doesn't take SD cards or anything like that.
    • Inability to use the phone as a storage device. This is one that really annoys me. If I plug my phone into the computer the only interface into the file system is through the surprisingly annoying Zune software. This only allows videos, images and audio files. Want to copy a PDF, RAR archive or a Word doc? You can't.
    Kadongy wrote: »
    As was pointed out on that forum request thread, there's no requirement to confine Windows Phone topics to this thread. In fact if more questions like rolion's were in the Mobiles & PDAs forum then the sub-forum would probably arrive a lot sooner.

Theres only one phone that has a shown microSD card slot (Samsung Focus).

All 1st get HTC Windows Phone 7's have MicroSD's in them. Their just not expandable.

Believe me your better of without them. Im tired of clearing up space on my gf's desire and soon my mothers xperia play when they install a couple of games and you get a warning you have low amount of memory left when the memory card is half full and only thing stored on internal memory is app data.

Malice just use Skydrive. Its quicker than trying to find a cable to connect your phone to the PC ;)

Believe me your better of without them.
    With all due respect I completely disagree. If I want to use my phone as an MP3 player or a storage device I'd rather not have to worry too much about the available space especially considering everything is getting saved to the one place. Between MP3s, apps, games, photos and movies I've already run out of space a couple of times and had to do a clean out which brings me back to my previous post about the awful Zune interface. Why oh why can I not just interact with the device through Windows explorer?
    Malice just use Skydrive. Its quicker than trying to find a cable to connect your phone to the PC ;)
    Without wanting to drag this off-topic there's no chance of me using any cloud-based storage medium. I don't want Microsoft/Google/Amazon having any access to my personal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

All 1st get HTC Windows Phone 7's have MicroSD's in them. Their just not expandable. Believe me your better of without them. Im tired of clearing up space on my gf's desire and soon my mothers xperia play when they install a couple of games and you get a warning you have low amount of memory left when the memory card is half full and only thing stored on internal memory is app data.

Maybe I'm missing something but if a phone with removable MMC can run out of space, why couldn't a phone with embedded MicroSD equally run out of space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but if a phone with removable MMC can run out of space, why couldn't a phone with embedded MicroSD equally run out of space?

First of all, you can easily upgrade to an SD card with a larger capacity.

Second, you could mount the SD card in a PC and use it as external storage, instead of having to transfer stuff through Zune or other ways.

Malice wrote: »
    With all due respect I completely disagree. If I want to use my phone as an MP3 player or a storage device I'd rather not have to worry too much about the available space especially considering everything is getting saved to the one place. Between MP3s, apps, games, photos and movies I've already run out of space a couple of times and had to do a clean out which brings me back to my previous post about the awful Zune interface. Why oh why can I not just interact with the device through Windows explorer?

Without wanting to drag this off-topic there's no chance of me using any cloud-based storage medium. I don't want Microsoft/Google/Amazon having any access to my personal stuff.

Right thats fair enough. I too have the annoying that i cant just plug my phone into a device and use it as an MP3 player.

There is a USB storage app on XDA. Its very simple and doesnt need jailbreak and it works on Windows PC's . Not sure can you use it for docs but it works 100% for music and pics. Will look up source later.

For docs and stuff you could try WP Device Manager. Last time i check it could transfer all sort of stuff from and to the device as long as its dev unlocked.

Because most of the time (if not all the time) phones come with a certain amount of internal memory. If its anything under 1GB alot of it will be taken up by the system. Try downloading a couple of games and you will get a warning that your phone is low on space. Even though you got lots of space on mSD. mSD On android works as a side memory rather than integrated memory to store app data. On Android you can store a certain amount of app data on mSD but not everything.

Its one thing i dont miss from having a HD2. My gf cant install any more apps on her desire cause her memory is full. Mind due she has 5 simple games and 3 apps, settings up mSD A2SD is a pain in the hole for me.

With WP7 because external storage is integrated you never run into the problem of low internal storage because the phone will manage that for you and store information on internal and external memory for you.

This is why mSD cards arent removable so that average users would corrupt something by putting phones in USB storage mode. Moving something, deleting, renaming and then the phone or apps starting to mess up then.

This the way i understand it :) WP7 and iPhone way is just alot less painfull and you dont have to worry about space as much :)

• Advertisement

sorry...
    just to get it correct:if i plug my HTC HD2 Windows in the PC usb port,i get external storage available in "My Computer". Can you confirm that does the same thing with WP7.x !??
    thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

rolion HTC make android and windoze phones. Gonna guess you mean android. Windows forces you to use zune for file transfer as stated before, which is just as stupid as the way apple forces you to use itunes. However you can work around this by using a cloud storage thingy like skydrive or dropbox. So the answer to your question is: does not do the same thing.

Regarding sdcards, there is some complete nonsense posted above. Newer android devices have loads of internal storage, and can have sdcard as well. Sure the older one like the Desire have limited internal storage and can be annoying, but newer ones have loads of space. Device supporting sdcard is absolutely unrelated to devices internal space.

Note that some of the windows phones that do allow sdcard actually physically damage the sdcard by burning a signature of bad sectors into it, so the card is locked to that phone (thus you can't take it out and put into camera or another device). Dunno if Microsoft have since reversed this behaviour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

srsly78 wrote: »
    Note that some of the windows phones that do allow sdcard actually physically damage the sdcard by burning a signature of bad sectors into it, so the card is locked to that phone (thus you can't take it out and put into camera or another device). Dunno if Microsoft have since reversed this behaviour...

What phones actually physically damage the SD card, if this was the case the card wouldn't work, in the phone its in lol! :D

AntiVirus wrote: »
    What phones actually physically damage the SD card, if this was the case the card wouldn't work, in the phone its in lol! :D

If they write an incorrect signature onto the card but write WP7 to expect that incorrect signature, it would work just fine.

What (s)he's saying is correct - removable SD cards once tied to a WP7 device do not function as normal SD cards outside that device.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's not technically true. Data written to the card is encrypted, including I believe the standard partition and file system stuff written to any card as part of formatting. This is done using the standard encryption methods built into SDCards (SD standing for Secure Digital).

The confusion arises because very few devices have ever actually implemented the standards, so as far as they can see the card appears to have corrupt data. Devices which do implement the standards can detect that it contains encrypted data, and at least format or wipe the card (although they don't have the keys needed to decrypt it)

It has mostly the same end result, you can't pop the card in a standard reader and read/write it or even wipe it to use somewhere else. But being pedantic it's not strictly Microsoft's fault, they used functionality built into the card, it's just that most cheap card readers don't :)

edit: I believe Nokia phones which support SD cards also support the encryption standards and people have used them to reformat the card to use elsewhere.

• Advertisement

If they write an incorrect signature onto the card but write WP7 to expect that incorrect signature, it would work just fine.

What (s)he's saying is correct - removable SD cards once tied to a WP7 device do not function as normal SD cards outside that device.

Yes they do, you need to reformat them.

Regarding sdcards, there is some complete nonsense posted above.
    Like what?

SD cards,SD cards...

Q1: any ideea what type,size or speeds can you use !?
    Or the cards are coming pre-supplied/pre-installed with the phones and you can't "play" around with a better ,faster,bigger one !??

Q2:who controls the cards :the software OR the hardware,i mean can i use a 8G or a 32G card !? Is a sw or hw limitation ?

Tia

SD cards,SD cards...

Q1: any ideea what type,size or speeds can you use !?
    Or the cards are coming pre-supplied/pre-installed with the phones and you can't "play" around with a better ,faster,bigger one !??

Q2:who controls the cards :the software OR the hardware,i mean can i use a 8G or a 32G card !? Is a sw or hw limitation ?

Tia

You can use any speed rated memory card and upto 32GB will work but buying the fastest does not mean it will work the fastest. Windows Phone 7 was written to use a specific type of speed rated memory card. Class 2 will run the best and fastest on WP7. This may have changed with WP7.5

You have a HD2 so you can easily flash it to run Windows phone 7 and test with old SD cards. You can reformat those cards again using Partion Magic, they aren't phyical damaged as some poster has said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Malice wrote: »
    Why oh why can I not just interact with the device through Windows explorer?

Because thats not what the mass market wants. Most people dont need or want to know exactly where their files are, and whats going on under the hood, they just want their phone to work. Thats what Microsoft cater to.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Because thats not what the mass market wants. Most people dont need or want to know exactly where their files are, and whats going on under the hood, they just want their phone to work. Thats what Microsoft cater to.

I tend to agree with you up to point BUT the techies are the people that will push,eventually,the Microsoft phones to mass market AND not the other way around...SO,if me,techie,i'm not happy with the phone i am not going to recommend to rest of market !

Quite pitty that does not work direct access to device/file level from within Windows Explorer.Basically,they have disabled USB Mass Storage function...

AntiVirus wrote: »

If you have an Nokia phone lying around you can format the card and it will work just as fine.

Srsly you can deny it all you want but android phones do get low memory warnings even when the sd card memory isn't full. It doesn't use the sd card to the full potential.

I didn't have that problem on the s2 because has lots of internal memory. But in sure that can be pushed to get the warnings.

As said no consumer should have to delete apps or clear app data in order to install new ones or even use their phone. Only time that a user should get a low memory warning is when the internal memory and external are all nearly full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

the techies are the people that will push,eventually,the Microsoft phones to mass market AND not the other way around

What? Where are you getting that idea?
    Its the average user that pushes sales of a device NOT the technically inclined. We ae usually the smallest sub section of purchasers, usually the more vocal but yet , usually the most ignored or not understood.

This is why when you look at any advert on tv or radio selling electronics its the "average Joe" user portraid and not a techie. People will buy from someone like them its as simple as that. The average iPhone user is very far from technically inclined (more so fashion inclined) but those people cant understand technical aspects so rely on and listen to peers in their own demographic. Its basic advertising 101.

hightower1 wrote: »
    What? Where are you getting that idea? Its the average user that pushes sales of a device NOT the technically inclined. We ae usually the smallest sub section of purchasers, usually the more vocal but yet , usually the most ignored or not understood.

Initial releases of a new technical products tend to be bought by technical people first and normal (:)) people second. I only know two WP7 users (based on my Facebook profile) and both of us are standard nerds.

Well its the techy people working in phone shops that sell wp7's :)

I'm the only one that pushes wp7's in my shop :)

But yes we are a minority. Most people would not want to get the same phone as me cause they think they would need a years course in mobile technology to operate it :)

God believe me you have to get this down to bog bog bog standard to people to teach them how to use a new technology. People just don't want to learn new stuff. Nvm reading the manual!!! :)

But its the average Joe that does alot more marketing with his "look at me I have the coolest phone ever".

After all that's the wave apple has been riding since they started their company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Brand new technologies / platforms usually will require the techy / first-adoptor support when they first come out, and WP7 is still a bit at that stage, but now that Nokia is onboard and most of the mobile networks (even O2 now) are getting ready to put a major push behind WP7 and particularly Nokia's Lumia range, we can expect to see WP7 move from first-adoptor to a larger and more conventional audience.

If you go into a phone shop and you are given an unbiased choice between the Nokia Lumia 800, the iPhone 4S, and the Sony Ericsson Arc (for example), I would find it difficult to believe that the Nokia wouldn't get a fair shakes at the customers money. I've already been hearing from relatives and friends asking about this new Nokia phone and where it's for sale (and I have to tell them it's only in the UK for now); that never happened with any WP7 handset before. The technical details really don't matter to most phone buyers; they want to know how it looks and works and will not spend hours researching phones online before a purchase, weighing up the CPU and onboard storage; they will go into the shop, and will consider anything the friendly sales rep will tell them. Reps in phone shops, evolutionqy7 excluded, have been universally ignoring WP7 as an option, but this is changing. Nokia is still a big player in the hearts and minds of European consumers. The mass market awaits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well its the techy people working in phone shops that sell wp7's :)

I'm the only one that pushes wp7's in my shop :)

But yes we are a minority. Most people would not want to get the same phone as me cause they think they would need a years course in mobile technology to operate it :)

God believe me you have to get this down to bog bog bog standard to people to teach them how to use a new technology. People just don't want to learn new stuff. Nvm reading the manual!!! :)

But its the average Joe that does alot more marketing with his "look at me I have the coolest phone ever".

After all that's the wave apple has been riding since they started their company.

WP7 has had a disasterous launch on this Island. There were 4/5 decentish phones at launch but no real campaign to get them in peoples pockets to win mindshare. Until the launch of the HTC Titan and its lower powered HTC Radar cousin recently you couldn't find a WP7 in any of the bricks and mortar stores bar Voda and they were limited to the LG7 which was nigh on a year old at the time and hiding on it's own in a corner.

The HTC Titan is a decent phone, and mango has brought WP7 on alot yet still afaict only Voda have it atm and they aren't pushing it at all, its relegated to the corner of the shop.

The WP7 marketshare is down below 2% and going nowhere right now. I do think the imminent Lumia 800 launch in Europe will drive some sales, but imo the Lumia 800 is an over priced, somewhat outdated handset, given it is largely just an N9 with WP7 crammed onto it, and only what remains of Nokia's large fanboy base is going to go out and buy it.

I have an upgrade at the moment and am tempted by the Titan, I think the Nokia's screen is too small, but I am most likely to get a Galaxy Nexus or moreover as I have a HTC Sensation at the moment just wait until Q1/2 2012 when the next Samsung and HTC flagship devices launch.

I have meandered a bit here, but personally I think windows has botched the WP7 launch and marketing and the brutal <2% marketshare is testament to this. From my experiences it's not a bad OS at all and should be doing alot better if it was being pushed and had grabbed some market/mindshare.

To backup my assertion that the mobile networks have been giving WP7 a raw deal, I've just been loitering around the O2 support forum, and I find that the O2 support staff are still giving incorrect information in relation to applying MMS settings on WP7 handsets. None of the staff use a WP7 handset so it's to be expected, but still, they could read the manual.

I posted the correct instructions a few weeks ago on the forum and a member of staff acknowledged it, yet this evening I go back and find the same incorrect instructions being doled out. Things like this must drive the WP7 team crazy.

In other news, this post mentions another Microsoft Mango update has been approved in the last few days for O2 Ireland; tethering update by any chance??

Inquitus wrote: »
    WP7 has had a disasterous launch on this Island. There were 4/5 decentish phones at launch but no real campaign to get them in peoples pockets to win mindshare. Until the launch of the HTC Titan and its lower powered HTC Radar cousin recently you couldn't find a WP7 in any of the bricks and mortar stores bar Voda and they were limited to the LG7 which was nigh on a year old at the time and hiding on it's own in a corner.
    Not in my experience. I visited two different O2 stores in Galway City at the beginning of the year and on both occasions the HTC HD7 was being heavily pushed by members of staff.

The HTC Titan is a decent phone, and mango has brought WP7 on alot yet still afaict only Voda have it atm and they aren't pushing it at all, its relegated to the corner of the shop.

The WP7 marketshare is down below 2% and going nowhere right now. I do think the imminent Lumia 800 launch in Europe will drive some sales, but imo the Lumia 800 is an over priced, somewhat outdated handset, given it is largely just an N9 with WP7 crammed onto it, and only what remains of Nokia's large fanboy base is going to go out and buy it.

I have an upgrade at the moment and am tempted by the Titan, I think the Nokia's screen is too small, but I am most likely to get a Galaxy Nexus or moreover as I have a HTC Sensation at the moment just wait until Q1/2 2012 when the next Samsung and HTC flagship devices launch.

I have meandered a bit here, but personally I think windows has botched the WP7 launch and marketing and the brutal <2% marketshare is testament to this. From my experiences it's not a bad OS at all and should be doing alot better if it was being pushed and had grabbed some market/mindshare.

Thats cause the people who work for the networks were stocking the wrong phones. HTD HD7. Its a good phone. But it was ruined by the small battery. HTC didnt change one bit from the HD2. They could have atleast given it a better cam as the flagship.

O2 stocked the wrong phone. I never tried to sell the HD7 cause I had it and I know how much of nightmare the battery can be. They should have stocked the Mozart or the Trophy.

Vodafone could have stocked something better than the Optimus 7. Its a good handset but people generally don't go for LG phones because they probably never used one before.

General consensus when i ask people from other branches what do ya think of windows phones, or even accessory suppliers. The answer "oh i don't like it". If ya ask them why don't ya like it they say because they think Android or iPhone is better. If ya asked have you ever used one or seen one in action the answer is no as well.

So most people run around talking crap about technology that their not even familiar with, even when their job is to know what it is and to be able to adjust customers need to it.

I would never ask a customer what phone would you like. I ask them what do you like about your current phone, what do you work as and what would you like your phone to do and what are you interested in.

Ive demoed my Omnia 7 to many customer and most loved it. The only reason why they might not go for one is because their network does not stock the right phone.

You know what i dont blame the sales rep. I blame the company, cause companies dont provide enough training. I know im a self motivated guy to find out the stuff I need myself, but the rest of the world isn't.

Tbh i dont even think the training i got was any decent. Just a bunch of reps lying over their hole to win our attention.

I remember a manufacturer that starts with letter "S" trying to blow the smoke away about certain court cases telling us that the specific tablet was buttery smooth and lag free, but in experience its the most laggy android tablet out of the whole lot.

Oh and i didnt mention that neither of the manufacturer reps went over windows phone?

Well I plugged in my HD7 just there and got notified of an update, just applied it and I have internet sharing on my HD7! Great to have this finally, I can leave the USB cable behind me in future. I believe there are other fixes in this update, like a battery life improvement apparently, but I'll have to see.
    Thats cause the people who work for the networks were stocking the wrong phones. HTD HD7. Its a good phone. But it was ruined by the small battery. HTC didnt change one bit from the HD2. They could have atleast given it a better cam as the flagship.

O2 stocked the wrong phone. I never tried to sell the HD7 cause I had it and I know how much of nightmare the battery can be. They should have stocked the Mozart or the Trophy.

Vodafone could have stocked something better than the Optimus 7. Its a good handset but people generally don't go for LG phones because they probably never used one before.

General consensus when i ask people from other branches what do ya think of windows phones, or even accessory suppliers. The answer "oh i don't like it". If ya ask them why don't ya like it they say because they think Android or iPhone is better. If ya asked have you ever used one or seen one in action the answer is no as well.

So most people run around talking crap about technology that their not even familiar with, even when their job is to know what it is and to be able to adjust customers need to it.

I would never ask a customer what phone would you like. I ask them what do you like about your current phone, what do you work as and what would you like your phone to do and what are you interested in.

Ive demoed my Omnia 7 to many customer and most loved it. The only reason why they might not go for one is because their network does not stock the right phone.

You know what i dont blame the sales rep. I blame the company, cause companies dont provide enough training. I know im a self motivated guy to find out the stuff I need myself, but the rest of the world isn't.

Tbh i dont even think the training i got was any decent. Just a bunch of reps lying over their hole to win our attention.

I remember a manufacturer that starts with letter "S" trying to blow the smoke away about certain court cases telling us that the specific tablet was buttery smooth and lag free, but in experience its the most laggy android tablet out of the whole lot.

Oh and i didnt mention that neither of the manufacturer reps went over windows phone?

I would agree, of course a rep won't be as enthusiastic to sell a particular platform or phone unless they know at least a little bit about it, and the selection of phones available at launch for WP7 in Ireland was not great either. But the HD7 and Omnia were / are great examples of WP7 even with the various disadvantages such as battery life, camera quality etc. It was the blank looks I was getting in practically every phone shop anytime I asked about WP7 that got my goat.

The Nokia launch should really change that though; even O2 have now committed to a big pre-xmas advertising push for the Lumia 800 in the UK, and possibly in Ireland as well. And if the sales reps like the Nokia as much as everyone else seems to, they might actually use it as their primary phone which of course means they're more likely to encourage others to go for it. In the long run it's great news for all of us WP7 fanboys because it means more WP7 users and a better selection of apps and services for our favourite platform :-) Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well I plugged in my HD7 just there and got notified of an update, just applied it and I have internet sharing on my HD7! Great to have this finally, I can leave the USB cable behind me in future. I believe there are other fixes in this update, like a battery life improvement apparently, but I'll have to see.

I would agree, of course a rep won't be as enthusiastic to sell a particular platform or phone unless they know at least a little bit about it, and the selection of phones available at launch for WP7 in Ireland was not great either. But the HD7 and Omnia were / are great examples of WP7 even with the various disadvantages such as battery life, camera quality etc. It was the blank looks I was getting in practically every phone shop anytime I asked about WP7 that got my goat.

The Nokia launch should really change that though; even O2 have now committed to a big pre-xmas advertising push for the Lumia 800 in the UK, and possibly in Ireland as well. And if the sales reps like the Nokia as much as everyone else seems to, they might actually use it as their primary phone which of course means they're more likely to encourage others to go for it. In the long run it's great news for all of us WP7 fanboys because it means more WP7 users and a better selection of apps and services for our favourite platform :-) Here's hoping.

The thing is the Lumia 800 is a pretty poor, overpriced and limited phone, full of old tech, that nokia have rushed to market cramming WP7 into an N9.

It's not a good phone, and its not a phone people should buy. I am sure the phones nokia actually designed for WP7 which will come in Q2 next year will be excellent WP7 flagships, but the Lumia is poor, and imho the HTC Titan is the best WP7 handset of 2012.

Yeah O2 can sign pledges of allegiance to Microsoft or O2. Doesn't mean the staff will.

Alot of executives from carriers love the third horse in the smartphone race. Cant see the same enthusiasm between staff.

Im very pessimistic for a reason. Because i walk into competitor or even franchises of the same company every week and see the kind of negligence from staff to learn. Not just for windows phone, but in general for something their not familiar with.

They will try to push Samsung, HTC, Apple cause their the easy sell. Their products that sell for themselves. They dont want to explain to a customer why should they buy a different phone because its more tailored to them. They just want them to buy and get the feck out because once 6 o'clock hits they run out the door.

Just like pretty much 99% of the business in Ireland did 3-5 years back.

Thank feck half of them are closed now.

The thing is the Lumia 800 is a pretty poor, overpriced and limited phone, full of old tech, that nokia have rushed to market cramming WP7 into an N9.

It's not a good phone, and its not a phone people should buy. I am sure the phones nokia actually designed for WP7 which will come in Q2 next year will be excellent WP7 flagships, but the Lumia is poor, and imho the HTC Titan is the best WP7 handset of 2012.

Well id prefer to say the Focus S is but, since that's US only the Titan is the Windows Phone flagship for us this year.

Ill agree with you. Lumia 800 is a poor phone. If they kept the screen at 3.9 and added that FFC it would have been a different story. Nobody in Ireland (beside us knows of the N9 or N900 for that matter) so i mean the Lumia 800 is a new and original phone to the average Joe.

But its not a very future proof. Just having Nokia Maps on it is not gonna make me buy it. I have Navigon EU maps on my Omnia 7.

But only time can tell :) I think ill be able to sell it in my shop. But i dont think ill be selling **** tons of it cause its gonna be here After Xmas

• Advertisement

The thing is the Lumia 800 is a pretty poor

I'd expect this is going to be the biggest selling Windows Phone so far. Far out selling the HTC Titan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement