Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'd expect this is going to be the biggest selling Windows Phone so far. Far out selling the HTC Titan.

It will be the biggest selling WP7, that doesn't get away from the fact its a pretty cack smartphone, best selling != best.

There's a massive legacy Nokia fanboy base, the sort of people who told us the N98 was better than the iPhone, and among the non mobile phone cognescenti Nokia still has an excellent reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Inquitus wrote: »
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'd expect this is going to be the biggest selling Windows Phone so far. Far out selling the HTC Titan.

It will be the biggest selling WP7, that doesn't get away from the fact its a pretty cack smartphone, best selling != best.

There's a massive legacy Nokia fanboy base, the sort of people who told us the N98 was better than the iPhone, and among the non mobile phone cognescenti Nokia still has an excellent reputation.

No one's said its the best phone? It's by far a nicer looking phone in my eyes and most reviewers eyes than any other Windows Phone. That's were it will pick up most of its sales from

The only thing that I could see putting of any poteintial buyers is the missing front facing camera but I can see just as many people being put of the Titan because its too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I don't think the average buyer will be interested in the history of the Lumia 800 or how it relates to the N9; it's simply a phone that looks really well, runs WP7.5 perfectly, has a fairly decent camera and is a Nokia. Stick the Angry Bird tile to the Start screen and it's sold. Those are the key factors for the vast majority.

Admittedly the rest of us phone geeks will indeed be thinking No FFC, No internet sharing at launch, Camera could be better, Only 16GB, Features have been removed compared to N9, etc etc. But who cares what we think? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Have you had hands on a Lumia Inquitus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I downloaded the new update today, which resolves the lack of voicemail notifications.....
    Now I've 18 new voicemails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Which update is that? Surely there's not another one out now, is there?

Which update is that? Surely there's not another one out now, is there?

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-reportedly-rolling-out-7740-os-update-windows-phone

Not too bad at all. :)
    Of course the one everyone wants is a fix for the disappearing keyboard issue, but alas that seems to have escaped this update.

I noticed that. It seems to be triggered by background agents; I saw it whenever I called ScheduledActionService.LaunchForTest().

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I don't think the average buyer will be interested in the history of the Lumia 800 or how it relates to the N9; it's simply a phone that looks really well, runs WP7.5 perfectly, has a fairly decent camera and is a Nokia. Stick the Angry Bird tile to the Start screen and it's sold. Those are the key factors for the vast majority.

Admittedly the rest of us phone geeks will indeed be thinking No FFC, No internet sharing at launch, Camera could be better, Only 16GB, Features have been removed compared to N9, etc etc. But who cares what we think? :D

Do you mean NFC?

Personally (As a "phone geek") I'm still fairly impressed with the Lumia.

People are going on about how the specs are crap compared to Android counterparts, but they dont understand that the specs are only as relevant as the OS using them.

Android needs to make use of more RAM and higher clocked processors because of the way it works. WP7 (and iOS too) are much less resource heavy, and so, dont require big fancy processors.

I've a friend with a Samsung Galaxy S2, and while its great most of the time, it does have instances where it gets quite laggy, notably when typing on the keyboard.

I've never had any lag on my Optimus. Nor did I have any on my 3GS.

The SGS2 is clocked at 1.2Ghz Dual Core with 1GB RAM
    The Optimus is clocked at 1Ghz Single Core with 512MB RAM
    The 3GS is clocked at 600Mhz Single Core with 256MB RAM

Moral of the story is; Its not the hardware you've got, its how you use it ;)

Just putting this out there for some of the Irish WP7 developers who frequent the board:

Would it be possible to develop an app (perhaps with live tile) that displays your remaining text and voice minutes, remaining data etc. on your plan? Or your credit if you're on prepay? Something like this or this

I would especially like one for counting data on my O2 billpay plan as it is ridiculously difficult to check this from my phone (I need to navigate half a dozen pages of the not-mobile-optimized O2 website).

I realise that this would involve scraping data from the operators homepages, which ends up getting broken every time they update their website, but I would pay money to keep track of my data and bill more closely. I'm almost certain O2 aren't going to do this for me. Any takers?

• Advertisement

Just putting this out there for some of the Irish WP7 developers who frequent the board:

Would it be possible to develop an app (perhaps with live tile) that displays your remaining text and voice minutes, remaining data etc. on your plan? Or your credit if you're on prepay? Something like this or this

I would especially like one for counting data on my O2 billpay plan as it is ridiculously difficult to check this from my phone (I need to navigate half a dozen pages of the not-mobile-optimized O2 website).

I realise that this would involve scraping data from the operators homepages, which ends up getting broken every time they update their website, but I would pay money to keep track of my data and bill more closely. I'm almost certain O2 aren't going to do this for me. Any takers?

Not a dev myself, but I think this was brought up before. I may be wrong, but as far as I know it cant be done at the moment because Irish carriers dont give out the API's used to access that data.

I'd give it a go, but the main problem is that I'm on pay-as-you-go with Vodafone. I could probably implement that, with a little work. But I've no clue how Vodafone present billpay information on their website, or how other operators such as O2 login and display that information on their site.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Not a dev myself, but I think this was brought up before. I may be wrong, but as far as I know it cant be done at the moment because Irish carriers dont give out the API's used to access that data.

Yeah there are very few operators who give allow API access at all, so that's why I'm suggesting scraping publically available pages.
    I'd give it a go, but the main problem is that I'm on pay-as-you-go with Vodafone. I could probably implement that, with a little work. But I've no clue how Vodafone present billpay information on their website, or how other operators such as O2 login and display that information on their site.

That of course is very valid. You would need some trusting beta testers to give you access to their O2 or Vodafone logons! A comprehensive app with support for O2, Vodafone, 3 and Meteor would be a nightmare.. probably best done on a one-network-per-app basis. Are there any android apps like this? Do Voda or O2 offer official Android apps in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Yeah there are very few operators who give allow API access at all, so that's why I'm suggesting scraping publically available pages.

That of course is very valid. You would need some trusting beta testers to give you access to their O2 or Vodafone logons! A comprehensive app with support for O2, Vodafone, 3 and Meteor would be a nightmare.. probably best done on a one-network-per-app basis. Are there any android apps like this? Do Voda or O2 offer official Android apps in this country?

Meteor have an Android app to see allowance and stuff left :) Maybe you could somehow tap in on the same api's?

Nokia Lumia 800 wins Phone of The Year award

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-800-wins-phone-year-award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

gman2k wrote: »

Quite strange in saying that ... but i will bet my money on Windows Mobile platform...hardware & software ! Dunno why...

gman2k wrote: »

Real meaningful that result, "Nokia fanboys vote unreleased phone as phone of the year in meaningless magazine without ever having seen or touched one!"

Bet these guys voted :p

Real meaningful that result, "Nokia fanboys vote unreleased phone as phone of the year in meaningless magazine without ever having seen or touched one!"

Bet these guys voted :p

Well you wrote it off without seeing or touching one, right?

rossc007 wrote: »

and guess what...that video is not available any more... :)

rolion wrote: »
    and guess what...that video is not available any more... :)

Not surprising, Engadget made that really embarrassing video a worldwide news item when they posted it 20 odd minutes ago! Lucky for those girls they managed to take it down quicksmart before more damage was done...

• Advertisement

rossc007 wrote: »

Indeed, but that's because its crap. Its underpowered compared to it's WP7 peers, overpriced at over 450 sterling sim free, and simply not worth countenancing as a purchase.

I firmly believe Nokia's purpose built WP7 handsets which will come next year will be very good, but the Lumia 800 is just a poor stopgap, and only a fool would buy one.

Indeed, but that's because its crap

I'm not the only one seeing the hypocrisy here? Right? :rolleyes:

Indeed, but that's because its crap. Its underpowered compared to it's WP7 peers, overpriced at over 450 sterling sim free, and simply not worth countenancing as a purchase.

I firmly believe Nokia's purpose built WP7 handsets which will come next year will be very good, but the Lumia 800 is just a poor stopgap, and only a fool would buy one.

Dude this is not android where more power represents the size of your balls :)

1.4 Ghz is plenty of power. Only need to boost power on WP7 is for better high end console like games. Appart from that. Even with that first gen qualcomm processor every single windows phone can work without lag

As i said the main downside to me is the smaller screen compared to the N9 and the lack of FFC. But to the majority it will be a perfect phone

As i said the main downside to me is the smaller screen compared to the N9 and the lack of FFC. But to the majority it will be a perfect phone

Okay, what the hell is FFC? Your the second person to mention it, and I've no clue what it is.

My best guess is that your all mistyping NFC... :confused:

Okay, what the hell is FFC? Your the second person to mention it, and I've no clue what it is.

Front-facing camera. :)

Front-facing camera. :)

Ahh, thanks :D

Honestly, I'd be more interested in NFC coming to wp7.
    Most people I know have either a laptop, phone or tablet with a front facing cam (myself included) and rarely use it. Persoanlly, I have never once used mine in the two years I've had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So a really weird thing happened to me tonight. I decided to take the plunge on a ChevronWP7 unlock token, mainly for two reasons, the ability to sideload out-of-region apps (see my Spotify post above) and to finally start working on some app ideas I've had.

So I went through the process (which is remarkably easy in case anyone else is thinking about it) and eventually get an error at the final stage. The error stated that the phone had already been unlocked externally so, following the advice on XDA, I went to the AppHub Registration Tool and entered my details. It then proceeded to register the device so I did it again to unregister it. Tried the Unlock Tool again and got the same error. Feeling slightly baffled, I then decided to fire up the Visual Studio and using the template app attempted to deploy it to the phone. Presto it worked! What the hell?

So, the only thing I can think of is that when I moved over here earlier in the year, Meteor gave me an unlock code for the phone but I assumed that was just a carrier one so I could use alternate SIM cards. Surely that wouldn't actually unlock the phone for dev purposes, would it? :confused:

You've used it how many times? You slate people for liking it even though they have never used it, then you say its crap using the same logic. And you call other people fools.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

gizmo wrote: »
    So, the only thing I can think of is that when I moved over here earlier in the year, Meteor gave me an unlock code for the phone but I assumed that was just a carrier one so I could use alternate SIM cards. Surely that wouldn't actually unlock the phone for dev purposes, would it? :confused:
    Network unlock shouldn't have dev unlocked the phone I would have thought. Another possiblity is that Chevron did actually unlock the phone but then mistakenly reported an error.

• Advertisement

Hi lads,

With absolutely no intention to offend anyone...but we,WP fans are "talking" about iFans and their eBehaviour...i reckon is time to show that we are serious here,respectfully between us and follow a piece of wTechnology (hardware and software) that reflects our eMaturity...

Let's get back to the point ...

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

stevenmu wrote: »
    Network unlock shouldn't have dev unlocked the phone I would have thought. Another possiblity is that Chevron did actually unlock the phone but then mistakenly reported an error.
    That was my first thought alright but the token I was granted is still reporting as unused and the error in the unlock tool immediately went to "Phone already unlocked externally" when I used it. I've dropped them a mail anyway to see what it could have been, it seems they're having a few issues with the service so I guess this could be some new behaviour that's gone unreported thus far.

The Lumia 800 is way overpriced at the €600 / £495 expansys and the like are trying to charge for it.. I assume this is because SIM-free stock is incredibly limited. Nokia initially said the 800 would be made available at basic stock price of €420, so even allowing for VAT at 21% this would top out at €500. Not sure if this already includes the retailers margin (probably not) but this should put it in the same price point as the HTC Titan and other "top tier" gen2 devices.

It's a brilliant looking phone, but I wouldn't personally pay €600 for it. My father-in-law can get it on his German T-Mobile upgrade plan for about €100, which is very good and comparable to the other phones he's being offered (Android and the like). He's being offered an iPhone 4GS for about €350 mind you, so Apple are definitely more expensive. But I think the best advice is to wait it out and see if prices stablise, unless you have the cash of course.

Meanwhile, the Dell Venue Pro is now £200 on expansys. Not a bad basic first smartphone for business users?

Looking at stats here:
    2300 replies and ... 103.611 views !!
    do we need a subsection !??

According to iMods...no,not yet !! iMaybe... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

rolion wrote: »
    Looking at stats here:
    2300 replies and ... 103.611 views !!
    do we need a subsection !??

According to iMods...no,not yet !! iMaybe... :confused:

They've made their decision - why keep on about it. Perhaps it would be better if this thread was closed and everyone opened new threads to discuss new topics?

markpb wrote: »
    They've made their decision - why keep on about it. Perhaps it would be better if this thread was closed and everyone opened new threads to discuss new topics?

That would probably be for the best.

I think most people worry that their threads wont be noticed. Personally, I subscribe to this thread, and rarely browse the Mobiles & PDAs, I sure wouldnt notice any other WP7 threads.

• Advertisement

I think most people worry that their threads wont be noticed. Personally, I subscribe to this thread, and rarely browse the Mobiles & PDAs, I sure wouldnt notice any other WP7 threads.

Yeah the normal section is just filled with stuff I don't really care about. Id sometimes have a look. My first place of boards is subscripsions page.

Yeah the normal section is just filled with stuff I don't really care about. Id sometimes have a look. My first place of boards is subscripsions page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Does anyone have a link or a howto guide to upgrade to 7.5 Mango? More specifically on an Omnia 7.

I'm sure its in there somewhere but thread is ridiculously huge

thanks

nm wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link or a howto guide to upgrade to 7.5 Mango? More specifically on an Omnia 7.

I'm sure its in there somewhere but thread is ridiculously huge

thanks

You should only have to plugin your phone to your PC, and go to Settings => Update in Zune. Follow the instructions from there.

If it says there's no update available, there may actually be one available except they're just being gradually rolled out. You can try the disconnect internet trick here, where essentially you click the Check for Updates button in Zune, wait a second, then disconnect your internet. Wait a while and it may tell you there's an update. Reconnect your internet again and away you go. If this still doesn't work, it means your particular Omnia just does not have an update available yet. The Samsungs have a habit of being the last to get any updates I'm afraid.

Hey guys, trying to switch away from vodafone, but they've really f*cked me over.

Any idea what LG Optimus 7 firmware I could flash so that I can put a Three sim into it? As well as one that supports updating to the the Internet Sharing feature? (The Open Europe ROM for example doesnt)

• Advertisement

Hey guys, trying to switch away from vodafone, but they've really f*cked me over.

Any idea what LG Optimus 7 firmware I could flash so that I can put a Three sim into it? As well as one that supports updating to the the Internet Sharing feature? (The Open Europe ROM for example doesnt)

There is no firmware for three cause Three don't sell the Optimus. Three only have the Omnia 7.

There is no firmware for three cause Three don't sell the Optimus. Three only have the Omnia 7.

Yeah, I know that. There is a thread on XDA that provides all the versions of the Optimus firmware, I was just wondering if there are any (aside from Europe Open) that are not sim locked. I've noticed that just says "Germany", so I'm going to give that a go.

I cant believe Vodafone screwed me on this. I need to get the phone unlocked ASAP, I'm expecting a very important call tomorrow. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Did you get the German Optimus 7? If you did it should work straight away with Three. However you might want to debrand it to remove any signs of Vodafone on it. Ie Vodafone mail etc.

Yeah, I know that. There is a thread on XDA that provides all the versions of the Optimus firmware, I was just wondering if there are any (aside from Europe Open) that are not sim locked. I've noticed that just says "Germany", so I'm going to give that a go.

I cant believe Vodafone screwed me on this. I need to get the phone unlocked ASAP, I'm expecting a very important call tomorrow. :mad:

Any network takes ages to send out an unlock code.

If I didn't just get it myself I would still be waiting from meteor to unlock my Omnia 7. I requested that last year March

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fwiw I don't think flashing the firmware will perform a sim/network unlock. It doesn't with the Omnia anyway.

Boo_hoo wrote: »
    Did you get the German Optimus 7? If you did it should work straight away with Three. However you might want to debrand it to remove any signs of Vodafone on it. Ie Vodafone mail etc.

No, I got it when it launched on Vodafone IE
    Any network takes ages to send out an unlock code.

If I didn't just get it myself I would still be waiting from meteor to unlock my Omnia 7. I requested that last year March

Well I'm giving them a call soon, and I guarantee I wont be hanging up without an unlock code. I'm so sick of VF's sh*t.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Fwiw I don't think flashing the firmware will perform a sim/network unlock. It doesn't with the Omnia anyway.

Your right. Now I'm back where I started. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

If getting the SP unlock code off Vodafone falls through this site Unlockallcellular.com -LG-E900-Optimus-unlock-code is proven to work with Vodafone Ireland+Optimus7

It costs €15. Select Other Networks>Ireland - Vodafone Eircell.

Boo_hoo wrote: »
    If getting the SP unlock code off Vodafone falls through this site Unlockallcellular.com -LG-E900-Optimus-unlock-code is proven to work with Vodafone Ireland+Optimus7

It costs €15. Select Other Networks>Ireland - Vodafone Eircell.

Thanks, its starting to look like I'm going to have to go that route.

Well I'm giving them a call soon, and I guarantee I wont be hanging up without an unlock code. I'm so sick of VF's sh*t.

Googluck because its not the poor rep that generates them unlocking codes. They have to get them of the OEM's. You might be wait be waiting for a very long time :P

In my experience the Carrier never stores the unlocking codes. They always request them from OEM's so you could scream and do whatever you want to do but it just wont do anything cause the reps at the phone line wont be able to get them. I think it would be alot easier to get that 15 euro code :)

Googluck because its not the poor rep that generates them unlocking codes. They have to get them of the OEM's. You might be wait be waiting for a very long time :P

In my experience the Carrier never stores the unlocking codes. They always request them from OEM's so you could scream and do whatever you want to do but it just wont do anything cause the reps at the phone line wont be able to get them. I think it would be alot easier to get that 15 euro code :)

I wouldnt mind them having to get in contact with the OEM, but they wont even do that.

I called them up, and they said they only give out NAC codes on the website. I explained that the function on the site doesnt work. So then I was transfered to someone else, who said the site will be fixed "soon". When I asked what "soon" meant, I was told "within the next couple of months" :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement