Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Most OEM's ship the unlock code with the phones. When they are kitted out and shipped, the supplier sends the unlock codes to the carrier. I worked on systems for Meteor and O2, so I can only assume Vodafone have the same practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

So, I've had an interesting few days. Vodafone are taking ages to get me the unlock code, so I'm without a phone.

I have been using my Optimus 7 for games and music. I've kept it in flight mode, and naturally, the battery last a lot longer.

It got me thinking about how appealing a WP7 based MP3 player would be. The iPod remains virtually unopposed in that market.

A few years ago I got myself a Microsoft Zune (80GB Gen 2) in the states, and to this day, I love it. I was planning on getting a Zune HD until I got a WP7. Imagine an updated Zune HD running WP7. If I didnt already have a WP7 I'd snap one of those up in a second.

If Microsoft were ever to launch a flagship phone (Like Google's Nexus phones), I'd want it to look just like a Zune HD. Its a beautiful device.

Also, for anyone who enjoys NES games, there's an emulator out in the marketplace for them, vNES, it comes with two free games, and you can add your own by uploading them to the web. The Super Bat Puncher game that comes with it is brilliant craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

That zune hd is very nice. I was considering getting a new MP3 player but since insurance company replaced my omnia 7 with a 16gb omnia 7... I cant really justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well if only they gave us the option to use it as an mp3 player for an xbox and an EQ it would be perfect ; )

But even without those its my everyday mp3 player. Havent had a Dedicated MP3 player for over 5 years now. As soon as phones started supporting MP3 i started using them as music players. I dont like 20 things to do 20 things :) I like one thing to do 20 things :)

Well if only they gave us the option to use it as an mp3 player for an xbox and an EQ it would be perfect ; )

But even without those its my everyday mp3 player. Havent had a Dedicated MP3 player for over 5 years now. As soon as phones started supporting MP3 i started using them as music players. I dont like 20 things to do 20 things :) I like one thing to do 20 things :)

The Xbox thing I agree with, it really amazes/pisses me off that I cant play my music/podcasts while gaming. I've got my Zune plugged into the Xbox for that now, but as you said, 1 device to to 20 things would be easier.

As for an EQ, I've never really felt the need. I've got a set of really good Sony headphones (Came free with my dads laptop in the states, they were worth 300 usd at the time :eek: ), and all my music is high quality too. Lossless on my 80GB Zune, but for obvious reasons, not the same on my Windows Phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This week on WP7 Watch:
    • The Samsung Omnia W is coming to O2 Ireland, as mentioned on their forum as having been tested. No pricing yet but I would say it'll be mid-range priced, similar to how it's priced on expansys. No release date is forthcoming. It seems to be a grand gen2 phone with 8mb memory and Super Amoled display.
    • The Nokia Lumia 800 is coming to O2 UK before Christmas (December 9th apparently), but pricing is not yet available. Since most popular phones on O2 UK will usually reach O2 Ireland we could expect to see this eventually. Question is will this be before or after Christmas.

On a related note, since at least one of these 2 phones are on my "potential purchases" list, I'm wondering if anyone can clarify:
    1. The cheapest bill pay tariff on O2 (with data) seems to be €20 / month for 150 texts and 150 minutes, with 150MB of data. This would be fine for my SO, but does this offer not include an actual phone at all, even if moving my SO from O2 prepay to billpay? Would you essentially have to pay the prepaid cost for a handset?
    2. The €40 / month tariff has a contract period of 18 months and definitely does seem to include a handset; is it possible to change the tariff down to the €20 / month tariff before the 18 months are up?

Thanks a mill

On a related note, since at least one of these 2 phones are on my "potential purchases" list, I'm wondering if anyone can clarify:
    1. The cheapest bill pay tariff on O2 (with data) seems to be €20 / month for 150 texts and 150 minutes, with 150MB of data. This would be fine for my SO, but does this offer not include an actual phone at all, even if moving my SO from O2 prepay to billpay? Would you essentially have to pay the prepaid cost for a handset?
    2. The €40 / month tariff has a contract period of 18 months and definitely does seem to include a handset; is it possible to change the tariff down to the €20 / month tariff before the 18 months are up?
    Thanks a mill

The 20 euro a month tariff is SIM only and does not include a handset.
    The lowest tariff with a phone is All in 250 18 months contract and there's no way of moving down, only up.

O2 all in 250 is OK. Just the gammy 150MB data allocation is ****. You can get it boosted to 700MB for an extra fiver but even at that its still crap.

If only 02 boosted their data allowances id leave meteor. All in 250 + 1GB data and id be there :)

I wanna get the Lumia on Meteor once it comes out. But im scared of signing a contract as their FCAT only apply for 12 months in an 18 month contract which is pretty ****. Im not too bothered about minutes. But ill run out of texts if i dont have FCAT.

7740 update for the Omnia 7 and Lumia 800 are out :)

Go Go Go!! :)

The 20 euro a month tariff is SIM only and does not include a handset.
    The lowest tariff with a phone is All in 250 18 months contract and there's no way of moving down, only up.

O2 all in 250 is OK. Just the gammy 150MB data allocation is ****. You can get it boosted to 700MB for an extra fiver but even at that its still crap.

If only 02 boosted their data allowances id leave meteor. All in 250 + 1GB data and id be there :)

I wanna get the Lumia on Meteor once it comes out. But im scared of signing a contract as their FCAT only apply for 12 months in an 18 month contract which is pretty ****. Im not too bothered about minutes. But ill run out of texts if i dont have FCAT.

Thanks for that. 150MB is certainly ridiculous for €40 / month. I think we'll go with the basic €20 / month and get a phone either at the prepay price or go sim free altogether. The Omnia W would be a more attractive buy being relatively cheaper at about €380 compared to almost €100 extra for the Lumia 800. Decisions decisions...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. 150MB is certainly ridiculous for €40 / month. I think we'll go with the basic €20 / month and get a phone either at the prepay price or go sim free altogether. The Omnia W would be a more attractive buy being relatively cheaper at about €380 compared to almost €100 extra for the Lumia 800. Decisions decisions...

Well the only advantage of the Omnia W over Lumia is the front facing camera (still cant understand why it was removed), also the price point.

Advantages of Nokia is hardware (obviously), Nokia Maps saves you a good 80 euro on buying navigon from the marketplace[ if you need full sat nav] , more appealing looks, RGB Clear Black Display over Pentile Matrix on the Omnia W (alot crispier details), a longer charging leader :)

I dont know whats up with Samsung but all the original leads seem to give up on me. Charger just stopped working, USB cable didnt want to charge it either so had to replace them 6 months down the road. The only original working accessory left are the headphones :)

I personally cant wait for the Lumia to come :) Since i left HTC camp ive been sort of stuck in between two different approaches to handsets. I think most Samsung handsets are a bit ugly compared to HTC and Apple hardware, but Sammy has better screens, speakers, battery life. Where i think HTC has better build quality, better feel and design is second to none.

So now Nokia can join those all together into one :) God i havent had a Nokia phone for 3 years now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You can get the Nokia Lumia 800 for 399 euro's sim free from Germany

http://www.handyschotte.com/handy/nokia/lumia-800-black-schwarz-t-mobile.htm?caid=7

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You can get the Nokia Lumia 800 for 399 euro's sim free from Germany

http://www.handyschotte.com/handy/nokia/lumia-800-black-schwarz-t-mobile.htm?caid=7

Damn it. Tempting :) But i want the Cyan one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Advantages of Nokia is hardware (obviously), Nokia Maps saves you a good 80 euro on buying navigon from the marketplace[ if you need full sat nav] , more appealing looks, RGB Clear Black Display over Pentile Matrix on the Omnia W (alot crispier details), a longer charging leader :)

Lumia also utilises a pentile display.

Lumia also utilises a pentile display.

Oops sorry my bad. I though some site quoted it was using RGB and not Pentile matrix. Thats a bummer then :S

I'm sure some of you already know, but for those that don't, theres a free XBL game called Shuffle Party out now. Its a sorta bowling game.

Dont forget to stick your gamertag in this thread, for some healthy competition. I've already beaten evolutionqy7's high score, and need new challengers :P

• Advertisement

DjFlin wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you already know, but for those that don't, theres a free XBL game called Shuffle Party out now. Its a sorta bowling game.

Dont forget to stick your gamertag in this thread, for some healthy competition. I've already beaten evolutionqy7's high score, and need new challengers :P

Lol in which game :)

Lol in which game :)

Shuffle Party. I just had one really good round, havent been able to come close to my score since. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Challange accepted :-) up to 217. Pins remind me those kids toys that have a round bottom that can't be knocked over. Good game.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Downloading it now. :)

put down your gamer tags :) no fun going solo :D

• Advertisement

Jet Black wrote: »
    Challange accepted :-) up to 217. Pins remind me those kids toys that have a round bottom that can't be knocked over. Good game.

Damn you! I havent broken 200 yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Any word on when Skype will be available?

I thought we would have it by now. I'm getting fed up waiting...:(

invest4deepvalue.com

Where are you guys ordering your Lumia 800 sim free?

I'm not mad about ordering from expansys as they seem pretty expensive. Phones 4 U in the UK have it starting at £400 but they only deliver to the UK. Carphonewarehouse are charging a looney £460 or so last time I checked.

Any recommendations?

ps was in an O2 store today "incognito" enquiring with my bro about getting a smartphone for me dad. Unsurprisingly heard all about how "Windows Mobile" is no good compared to iPhone or Android. They had no demo models of any WP7 handsets either when we asked, and generally knew nothing about the platform. Not surprised at all. Looks like WP7 will continue to be a minority club unless Nokia / HTC / Samsung really apply the pressure.

Where are you guys ordering your Lumia 800 sim free?

I'm not mad about ordering from expansys as they seem pretty expensive. Phones 4 U in the UK have it starting at £400 but they only deliver to the UK. Carphonewarehouse are charging a looney £460 or so last time I checked.

Any recommendations?

ps was in an O2 store today "incognito" enquiring with my bro about getting a smartphone for me dad. Unsurprisingly heard all about how "Windows Mobile" is no good compared to iPhone or Android. They had no demo models of any WP7 handsets either when we asked, and generally knew nothing about the platform. Not surprised at all. Looks like WP7 will continue to be a minority club unless Nokia / HTC / Samsung really apply the pressure.

Lol and your surprised. Phone staff only write it off cause they haven't a clue about it. As in my posts pages back that alot of phone shop staff haven't a clue what it is, if you ask them why they don't like it, its because they don't like it. Because its another thing they have to learn. Makes their clock in time hours harder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hi guys, just wondering did anybody manage to get the GPS to work on the optimus 7 after the mango update?

I tried changing the settings in the engineer menu to these settings but the GPS accuracy is still stuck at 350m :o

Howdy folks. The new Xbox Companion app has been announced for launch tomorrow (December 6th), along with the new dashboard.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering did anybody manage to get the GPS to work on the optimus 7 after the mango update?

I tried changing the settings in the engineer menu to these settings but the GPS accuracy is still stuck at 350m :o

I don't think I've ever used the GPS on mine at all. :O

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Damn you! I havent broken 200 yet.
    It's hard to be consistent with the bowling, I'll get 160 in one game and then just barely get 100 for the next few.

The challenge levels are really well done, having good fun with those, and they're replayable enough to go back and try and get 3 stars in all of them.

Great fun for a free game anyway.

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's hard to be consistent with the bowling, I'll get 160 in one game and then just barely get 100 for the next few.

The challenge levels are really well done, having good fun with those, and they're replayable enough to go back and try and get 3 stars in all of them.

Great fun for a free game anyway.

Yeah, consistency is lacking.

I finished the last challenge today on the bus to college. Only 4 achievements left to get. Shuffleboards going to be a pain.

I've never had a problem with the GPS on any firmware.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Shuffleboards going to be a pain.
    Ha, yes that's a bloody tough one, especially because it goes on for 7 rounds.

• Advertisement

Lol and your surprised. Phone staff only write it off cause they haven't a clue about it. As in my posts pages back that alot of phone shop staff haven't a clue what it is, if you ask them why they don't like it, its because they don't like it. Because its another thing they have to learn. Makes their clock in time hours harder...

I can understand, introducing yet another platform to know the ins and outs of is a pain in the arse. At least you can push out all knowledge of symbian and replace it with Windows Phone!

You might know the answer to this evolutionqy7; my SO is on o2 prepay (regular sized SIM); can O2 provide a microsim, whilst keeping her own number, when she moves over to O2 Simplicity €20 (150 calls + 150 texts + 150mb)? Or is the microsim only available with the O2 All in plan?

Are those sim card cutters any good or do you risk knackering your sim?

You might know the answer to this evolutionqy7; my SO is on o2 prepay (regular sized SIM); can O2 provide a microsim, whilst keeping her own number, when she moves over to O2 Simplicity €20 (150 calls + 150 texts + 150mb)? Or is the microsim only available with the O2 All in plan?

If you go in, say you've got a new phone that needs a microsim, they should just give it to you, no hassle. They'll switch your number to it, just like with a normal sim replacement.

As above. No requirements. If you go into O2 or CPW store they will do this for free.

Micro Sim cutters wont harm your sim card as long as the gold part of the sim remains uncut :P

I have to say, I find the Zune software frustrating sometimes.

Was trying to put a music mix (32 separate tracks) on my phone last night in one folder and its impossible. Had a sony walkman mp3 before and the drag and drop on it was great.

fits wrote: »

Was trying to put a music mix (32 separate tracks) on my phone last night in one folder and its impossible. Had a sony walkman mp3 before and the drag and drop on it was great.

I got a HTC Sensation yesterday and not using zune is sort of fustrating for me now. I sort of got used to it just listening to music and then just clicking on sync to phone option than going through my library of 20k songs and adding them.

Now every time i heart a song i like i have to click properties > open file location > send file to removable storage...

Its a bloody headache...

Im just waiting for a Cyan Lumia to come out and stay away from Android for good. My battery life today was from 8 am till 1pm...Got a red led notification for low battery :)

Hows that for superior?

Could you not just create a playlist and add them there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I once heard somebody describe Android phones in the following way

"The battery life is ****e on them, the battery is flat by the time the phone finishes booting up"

Having had an android phone I wont be going back for a long while unless some major changes are made to the OS.

I've had a G1, Hero, Legend and a Nexus S, battery life was fine on all of them apart from when your looking at videos for an extended period, but thats to be expected.

I got an Optimus 7 early this year, up until the mango release I switched between the Nexus and the Optimus, but after Mango I never picked up the Nexus again. I don't think there is anything wrong with Android, I just prefer WP7.

AntiVirus wrote: »

Could you not just create a playlist and add them there?

I could but its still unwieldy. I ran out of patience last night. Will go at it again later.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I once heard somebody describe Android phones in the following way

"The battery life is ****e on them, the battery is flat by the time the phone finishes booting up"

Having had an android phone I wont be going back for a long while unless some major changes are made to the OS.

It's not that. Galaxy S2 had decent battery life. But I think for me it never had the wow factor. The sensation Is more pleasing but by God the battery life is horrible.
    To me both sgs2 and htc sensation are quite disappointing to me. My omnia 7 lasted longer and worked a lot smoother. Also the consistency of UI is something left to be desired.

• Advertisement

The playlist thing is a joke, I cant drag and drop without putting that mix into my music collection and picking out the 32 songs (out of a few thousand) individually.

GAH!

(any hints)

The playlist thing is a joke, I cant drag and drop without putting that mix into my music collection and picking out the 32 songs (out of a few thousand) individually.

GAH!

(any hints)

Maybe this might help?

Zune playlist generator based on folder structure

http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com/2008/12/kritzu-zune-playlist-generator-based-on.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Does anyone have the APN settings for Meteor bill pay?

I've tried data.meteor.ie and data.mymeteor.ie.

Just can't get it working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Anyone have any problems picking up their vodafone mail? I'm getting the text messages to say there is an new mail but the mailbox can't sync. Checked settings and everything appears to be as it should. Should I dive deeper into MFG?

Well, I'm still without a phone. Called Vodafone today to see what the problem with my NAC code was, they say I never requested it. Turns out their websites NAC code form has a glitch, and doesn't actually do anything. So now they're asking me to wait another 7-10 business days for an unlock.

I cant really afford to wait another 3 weeks, so I'm going to have to go to one of those places in town that unlocks phones.

I'm really amazed by Vodafone's lack of support. It took me almost half an hour to get through to support, and once I did they were useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I downloaded the windows phone 7 sdk today and just was trying out the emulator. It uses a location in the US so all of the features advertised with the mango launch are available.

we Irish users are missing out on so much :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Daniel S wrote: »
    Does anyone have the APN settings for Meteor bill pay?

I've tried data.meteor.ie and data.mymeteor.ie.

Just can't get it working.

Did you get it working? My sister is on meteor bill pay and had the same problem. I put the same apn settings as my phone but it didn't work. She needed the proxy server URL and proxy port number which someone in the meteor store did and fixed it.

Have you put in username as my and password as wap?

I downloaded the windows phone 7 sdk today and just was trying out the emulator. It uses a location in the US so all of the features advertised with the mango launch are available.

we Irish users are missing out on so much :(

It is quite disappointing.

There are one or two things you can do to get a few of the features the US have:

Registry hack to enable SmartDJ

The SoundHound app allows you to find what song is playing, similarly to Bing Music

Add artist pictures to Zune

Download apps that arent availible in Ireland

A few of these require unlocked phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right gents, something weird has happened. My Optimus 7 is no longer recognised by zune. I've tried it on multiple machines and it's the same on each...it's really bugging me at this stage!

I've reinstalled drivers, and nothing. When i plug it in, my pc will recognise that there's something connected, it's just that zune will not pick it up.

I got the new black keys album and neeeeeed it on my phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Basic thing to try but a lt of the time it works, is rebooting both devices. Also try another USB port

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement