Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Try getting a replacement sim just to be sure

We have a few spare sims knocking around in work, just tried one in the LG and it wouldn't read either. So it looks like hardware :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Bambi wrote: »
    Try getting a replacement sim just to be sure

We have a few spare sims knocking around in work, just tried one in the LG and it wouldn't read either. So it looks like hardware :(

Ahri. Well repair is the only option. Those phones looked like a good offer at the time. A lot of them seem to be falling apart now :( just proves to show how crap LG is at making handsets.

That handset was prices high before the sale. Would be pretty pisses if I paid the full price and hardware would start to give up a year down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Hey, is it possible to get an O2 wp7(htc hd7) unlocked?

How/where?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ahri. Well repair is the only option. Those phones looked like a good offer at the time. A lot of them seem to be falling apart now :( just proves to show how crap LG is at making handsets.

That handset was prices high before the sale. Would be pretty pisses if I paid the full price and hardware would start to give up a year down the line.

We have a load of them in the office and yes they haven't aged very well in most cases.

I have one and a GS2 and being very honest about it - the WP7 phone just bugs the hell out of me and a lot of the other users..mostly because things that are now taken as standard on other phones simply don't exist, like:

- Full settings control
    - Changeable keyboards (the default one is just awkward)
    - A good range of free/cheap apps

.. and I wanted to like WP7, I really did! Hell, I use a WP7 launcher on the GS2 and I love it in terms of its usability and given that Android is sitting behind it's the best of both in my opinion.

But maybe I'm being unfair... maybe I should be comparing WP7 to Apple's offering which works on the same "you'll take what you're given and like it" approach. If you look at it that way I suppose it's a fairer comparison but WP7 still strikes me as a product that's lagging significantly behind the competition.

Maybe WP8 will change all that but I certainly wasn't impressed with WinDOWS 8 anyway. Unless Metro becomes optional, it'll still be Windows 7 all the way.

Probably the wrong thread to be posting this I know, but I can't be alone am I?

Its funny I've had to fall back on my old N900 and that's probably one of the most customizable OS's on any phone but it just bugs the crap out of me. I liked WP7 and tbh I barely ever used apps on it other than the really obvious ones.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

We have a load of them in the office and yes they haven't aged very well in most cases.

I have one and a GS2 and being very honest about it - the WP7 phone just bugs the hell out of me and a lot of the other users..mostly because things that are now taken as standard on other phones simply don't exist, like:

- Full settings control
    - Changeable keyboards (the default one is just awkward)
    - A good range of free/cheap apps

.. and I wanted to like WP7, I really did! Hell, I use a WP7 launcher on the GS2 and I love it in terms of its usability and given that Android is sitting behind it's the best of both in my opinion.

But maybe I'm being unfair... maybe I should be comparing WP7 to Apple's offering which works on the same "you'll take what you're given and like it" approach. If you look at it that way I suppose it's a fairer comparison but WP7 still strikes me as a product that's lagging significantly behind the competition.

Maybe WP8 will change all that but I certainly wasn't impressed with WinDOWS 8 anyway. Unless Metro becomes optional, it'll still be Windows 7 all the way.

Probably the wrong thread to be posting this I know, but I can't be alone am I?

Full setting control?
    I'm actually really happy with the keyboard, I could never get used to Samsung keyboard. I always liked HTC and stock Android keyboard. WP7 still favorite though.
    Its different for different folks. I hate ads, I have about 50 purchased apps on android and probably more on wp7. Id always rather pay a euro over seeing ads. Supports devs too.

I do always enjoy going back to Android once in a while but the freedom to customize and so forth usually annoys me after a week or two, im never happy with the ways it looks and keep tweaking it constantly to make it look better, but never can get android to get as smooth and good lucking as WP7.

I had my doubts about wp7 since it launched. I did start this thread, actually i didn't like wp7 till the point of trying it on HTC HD2. I thought it was ugly, akward and so, but maybe because i switch back and forth between wp7 and android all the time i appreciate the design and smoothness a bit more. Its just less hassle to use and no slow downs or freezing even with having 60+ apps and games on it.

That's why i love wp7 and don't mind staying with it, it just works the way I want it to.

The only place it really needs to pick up is give us some toggles and better specs, i don't really see the point of multi core tid bits, but having a HD screen is probably the most wanted feature on my list.

Based on reviews Optimus would probably leave a bitter taste in everyones mouth thanks to unreliable hardware, but in General my old Omnia 7 was a great phone, HD7 was a bit disappointing due to crappy hardware and my current titan lives up to the hype. So guess it depends on the device you pick, not all of them are great. Id love to switch to a Lumia 800/900, but software issues and bad camera performance throws me off.

Id be extremly happy with my Titan if it wasn't that big, otherwise its an awesome phone in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Full setting control?
    I'm actually really happy with the keyboard, I could never get used to Samsung keyboard. I always liked HTC and stock Android keyboard. WP7 still favorite though.
    I'm pretty fond of Swiftkey X myself
    Its different for different folks. I hate ads, I have about 50 purchased apps on android and probably more on wp7. Id always rather pay a euro over seeing ads. Supports devs too.
    Root the phone.. install Adfree Android or similar.. done!
    That said, I've bought quite a few apps too
    I do always enjoy going back to Android once in a while but the freedom to customize and so forth usually annoys me after a week or two, im never happy with the ways it looks and keep tweaking it constantly to make it look better, but never can get android to get as smooth and good lucking as WP7.
    Yes I can see where you're coming from here too, but I'm using Launcher 7, Slim ICS and a few tones and desktops from Zedge and think it looks as well as I've ever had it now
    I had my doubts about wp7 since it launched. I did start this thread, actually i didn't like wp7 till the point of trying it on HTC HD2. I thought it was ugly, akward and so, but maybe because i switch back and forth between wp7 and android all the time i appreciate the design and smoothness a bit more. Its just less hassle to use and no slow downs or freezing even with having 60+ apps and games on it.
    Probably depends on the phone.. my GS2 certainly doesn't suffer from any performance issues and I have a fair bit installed too
    Based on reviews Optimus would probably leave a bitter taste in everyones mouth thanks to unreliable hardware, but in General my old Omnia 7 was a great phone, HD7 was a bit disappointing due to crappy hardware and my current titan lives up to the hype. So guess it depends on the device you pick, not all of them are great. Id love to switch to a Lumia 800/900, but software issues and bad camera performance throws me off.
    I'd agree, the Optimus probably isn't the best advertisement for WP7 and I've gotten in a few Lumia 800s recently for people and yes it is a much nicer phone.... but it's still limited by the same locked down OS that's on the phone it's replacing and I think THAT is the problem in the same way as it is on iPhones - the complete lack of any customisation options.
    Id be extremly happy with my Titan if it wasn't that big, otherwise its an awesome phone in every way.
    I've gotten to play with the Titan a bit and it is a very nice phone. Equally there's a Samsung Focus S in the US that I had my hands on that's basically the GS2 of the WP world but I really think MS need to open it up to people who like to tweak more.

After all, if I'm paying a few hundred Euro for a phone/expensive contract, I better be able to set it up the way *I* want, not just what I'm given

I'm pretty fond of Swiftkey X myself

I bought it on the sale, never got used to it :) but different folks different strokes.
    Root the phone.. install Adfree Android or similar.. done!
    That said, I've bought quite a few apps too

Meh Ive gone of tinkering :( Its a time wasting process I cant really afford between work and college.
    Yes I can see where you're coming from here too, but I'm using Launcher 7, Slim ICS and a few tones and desktops from Zedge and think it looks as well as I've ever had it now

I purchased that while I was using HTC Legend till my Titan got back from HTC, its a nice imitation, but still not close to implying, plus when using the rest of the apps it seemed out of place. Like jumping from one UI to another.

Probably depends on the phone.. my GS2 certainly doesn't suffer from any performance issues and I have a fair bit installed too

Oh my S2 didn't have issues either, I just didn't really like it. Great hardware. We just didn't get along, HTC Sensation with ICS update made it my favourite dual core Android phone after the One S.
    I'd agree, the Optimus probably isn't the best advertisement for WP7 and I've gotten in a few Lumia 800s recently for people and yes it is a much nicer phone.... but it's still limited by the same locked down OS that's on the phone it's replacing and I think THAT is the problem in the same way as it is on iPhones - the complete lack of any customisation options.

Once again not everyone wants to customize, sometimes added features or menu's make stuff complicated.
    I've gotten to play with the Titan a bit and it is a very nice phone. Equally there's a Samsung Focus S in the US that I had my hands on that's basically the GS2 of the WP world but I really think MS need to open it up to people who like to tweak more.

I wanted the Focus S, just pity it never came out here. I was thinking of changing to a Lumia 900 once it comes out, but just based on the fact that the camera right now on Lumia's isn't the best you can get is something that throws me off. Im not the sort of person who takes tons of photos, I do mainly use the camera to take snaps of documents, Titan does this very well. We have MANY Lumia 800's at work, everyone posted pictures after a night out from their phones and most of them didn't look half as impressive as my Titan, but if the price for the 900 is going to be low on contract you never know :)

Im actually thinking of getting a lumia, im long overdue an upgrade from meteor, the stories about battery life and dodgy video quality is a bit problematic though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

hmm...looks like my LG optimus might be dead. Seems to be working except it won't recognise the SIM anymore. Tried the SIM in my other phone and it worked just fine :confused:

Not sure that reinstalling will make much difference. Bit of a bummer really :(

Double check that the sim is in the right way. I remember reading a few months ago that somebody had a similar problem.

• Advertisement

Im actually thinking of getting a lumia, im long overdue an upgrade from meteor, the stories about battery life and dodgy video quality is a bit problematic though

The battery life is now an old issue, a lot of the new handsets that are in stock now already have the battery fix in place.

As said its a very very nice handset. The camera performance isn't the best, but apparently Nokia are working on a software update to fix this.

The only reason why I picked the Titan over the Lumia 800 was that it didn't have a front facing camera.

Lumia 900 (the one in the US) is missing a BSI sensor, which points out why the camera isn't as good as Titan's. Face it when your taking pictures in Ireland its always going to be darker lol than a sunny country, so the better the low light performance on a phone the better photos will look.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Samsung Focus S, opinions?

Thinking about getting it to replace my LG optimus 7, broke the screen on it and instead of paying €70 to get it fixed thought I'd just sell it off and get a new phone instead and this one looks like one of the best to me along with the Titan.

leggit wrote: »
    Samsung Focus S, opinions?

Thinking about getting it to replace my LG optimus 7, broke the screen on it and instead of paying €70 to get it fixed thought I'd just sell it off and get a new phone instead and this one looks like one of the best to me along with the Titan.

Well if you live in the US go go :) If you don't, you have a tough chance of getting it as no retailers are selling it in Europe. Its only available on American Networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have the Lumia 800 and had the worst of the battery bug where it would only charge upto 970 mAh instead of 1490 mAh. I have the latest firmware installed and the battery last much longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

There are a few settings that I'd like to change in Windows Phone 7 that I can't - I'd like a few more foreground colour options for a start - but those needs are mitigated by the fact that the whole thing unmodified is still really really nice. And I have to admit that I like my Optimus very much (though I've a feeling that the USB connector on it might go very soon...)

In other news, Microsoft have scheduled the Windows Phone Developer Summit for the 20th and 21st of June. (By comparison, the Apple WWDC is on from the 11th to the 15th and Google I/O is on from the 27th to the 29th). Perhaps we'll finally get to see some details on new and cool APIs (and features) in Apollo? :)

In other news, Microsoft have scheduled the Windows Phone Developer Summit for the 20th and 21st of June. (By comparison, the Apple WWDC is on from the 11th to the 15th and Google I/O is on from the 27th to the 29th). Perhaps we'll finally get to see some details on new and cool APIs (and features) in Apollo? :)

Its nice that they do that, like last summer was fun being able to beta test the next OS upgrade, but I don't think they should release anything up till the launch, certain bits and bobs from WP7 managed to fit into other OS's.

They obviously could elaborate on capabilities or the new platform,new API's , but I think they should leave out the presentation of the OS and new features in the dark.

We all know WP8 is going to be based on Windows 8 anyway :) Certain parts of code and kernels are shared. So far in performance department I cant fault Windows 8, its a rocket on my mum's 5 year old laptop and on my 6 year 6 year old desktop :)

It will be cool to have a PC in your pocket, that doesn't look like a PC (partially :) and works smooth like butter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have my Optimus almost a year now and (touch wood) it's never given me any bother.

The only frustration is the slow speed with which features are rolled out, it was an eternity before tethering was available for example and it's the same now waiting for Viber or Skype to run in the background.

But as an "average user" I am generally very happy with WP and would have no problem recommending one to a friend. It works smoothly all the time with none of the freezing or re-boots which I hear android users going on about.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Well if you live in the US go go :) If you don't, you have a tough chance of getting it as no retailers are selling it in Europe. Its only available on American Networks.

Well I was just going to buy an unlocked one and get it delivered, but you're saying go with the Samsung anyway if I had a choice!

Think I will!

leggit wrote: »

Well I was just going to buy an unlocked one and get it delivered, but you're saying go with the Samsung anyway if I had a choice!

Think I will!

Just make sure the radio frequencies match to here, otherwise you might not get 3G coverage or any coverage at all

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

is the HTC radar the only wp7 with a front facing camera? I'm 2 months away from finishing my 18 month contract on my optimus and with skype now available, i'm thinking of upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The lumia 900 has one, its not here yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

And the HTC Titan, I think the Nokia Lumia 900 will be available here in 2 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

AFAIK the Samsung Omnia W has one too.

Seems as we have a new Windows Phone in the US. Samsung Focus 2 is coming out. Mid high end phone with a low end phone tag, doesn't look half bad and for 50$ on contract might prove to be popular ? :)

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/05/07/meet-the-samsung-focus-2-lte-and-beautiful-design-for-only-49-99.aspx

I always hate the fact that Samsung doesn't bring the focus series here, Omnia series has the same specs, but Focus series has always a nicer design I think.

Check out this app http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=f4631757-d1f6-4727-bd65-e6bc6c8e35da

Viber finally out. No voice call feature yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Check out this app http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=f4631757-d1f6-4727-bd65-e6bc6c8e35da

Took 3 attempts before it would install for me, but have it installed now.

Tried texting someone but no reply yet so not sure if it is working!

No predictive text showing:(

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »

Took 3 attempts before it would install for me, but have it installed now.

Tried texting someone but no reply yet so not sure if it is working!

No predictive text showing:(

Well its a beta for now. I don't even think it runs in the background. Can't find it in the background task list. Its actually version 2.1 so its been around for a long time. Finally got a reply there a couple of hours ago. It does run in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

image81.png?e83a2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

Can WP users take a snapshot of their screen like that too?

• Advertisement

FGR wrote: »
    Can WP users take a snapshot of their screen like that too?

Not unless you have a dev unlocked phone and an app for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement