Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They don't. Good examle of that is the aer lingus app. It just ported straight from iOS including the design. Its probably one of the lowest rated apps in the market, mainly cause of design.

Having consistent design sort of helps the average Joe not to get lost in an app. Make him feel like its a part of their phone :D

The design just wouldn't sit well either. For example, the viber app on android is exactly the same design wise as the iOS app which makes it stand out and look just plain odd and it's not like android has a strong OS wide style like WP7 does with metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

I found it quite annoying since my windows live calender would only have US public holidays listed. I found a Irish public calendar holiday here if anybody is interested (just click on subscribe, then go back out into your windows live calender and tick the "Irish public holidays" box) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

N64 wrote: »
    I found it quite annoying since my windows live calender would only have US public holidays listed. I found a Irish public calendar holiday here if anybody is interested (just click on subscribe, then go back out into your windows live calender and tick the "Irish public holidays" box) :D
    Have you got your account set up as a US resident? My calendar shows all the bank holidays and public holidays.

Just in case some one missed it :)

Boot loader for HTC Titan and Radar were unlocked by DFT Team yesterday morning together with the release of the first custom tango roms for these that are fully unlocked to be used any way you want it :)

Though if any of us here with a Radar or a Titan want to avail of this we need a gold card. Cause I presume its as usual made for Generic Roms and if your Rom is O2 or Vodafone branded (like mine) while trying to flash an SPL you will get a Vendor ID error. So you need a gold card to flash a generic ROM and then flash the right SPL, a lot of work, but hey its here :)

Ordering my cables for it now. Its been a long time overdue that I was meant to get a goldcard. Back from the HD2 day I think :)

Anyway heres the link to all the info http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1684912

Xbox E3 presentation was on today. If you don't know whats it about its definelty worth having a snoop around the internet. Lots of announcements regarding Xbox but I think nearly all of them had Windows Phone tied in. New Xbox Services coming to the phone. They will be expanding Bing search options on Xbox so maybe we will finally see Bing dropping the beta tag on search and introducing Live Scout with local search here. Lots of other interesting news too.

Have a look around :)

• Advertisement

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/microsoft-windows-phone-apollo-sneak-peek/

Microsoft to offer Windows Phone Apollo sneak peak on June 20th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/microsoft-windows-phone-apollo-sneak-peek/

Microsoft to offer Windows Phone Apollo sneak peak on June 20th?

That was originally the Windows Phone Developer Summit. So, maybe we'll see new APIs for Windows Phone 8, or get a release date for the developer tools?

ZDNet report that there'll be a webcast for it via Channel 9. Should be interesting. :)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-opens-registration-for-day-long-windows-phone-developer-summit/12843

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

My mother is looking for a "smartphone" and has given up on trying to understand how to use Android. Any word on where I can get a Lumia 610 for a reasonable price? Or any other low end Windows Phones for that matter.

DjFlin wrote: »
    My mother is looking for a "smartphone" and has given up on trying to understand how to use Android. Any word on where I can get a Lumia 610 for a reasonable price? Or any other low end Windows Phones for that matter.

If your not afraid of a trip up the north you could go down to CPW and get a Lumia 710 for 99£. Then unlock it and you will have a perfect little phone for next to nothing.

Nokia 610's are currently over priced for some reasons. On contract they have a reasonable price, but for buying it outright it makes no Sense right now to get a Tango device. 710 is a better choice now for an extra 40-50 euro.

I do expect the 610's to drop the price in a couple of months. Not sure why its launching with this price right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

How easy is it to unlock a 710? How long before the carrier has to give you the code for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

could be wrong but aren't the UK CPW 710's allready unlocked?? Think they give you the option of what sim you want with it?

snaps wrote: »
    could be wrong but aren't the UK CPW 710's allready unlocked?? Think they give you the option of what sim you want with it?

Some models might be generic. Some might be specific to a network and locked.

It might be just that its the first batch and their unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Last night my LG optimus stayed on the startup splash screen. I have tried plugging it into the computer and zune does not detect it. I can't get the device to go further than the white lg logo. Amazing how this happens just at the very end of my 18 month contract. I don't want to take another contract out right now to replace it if it's possible that it can be repaired. Anyone know if it's a one year or a two year warranty?

Last night my LG optimus stayed on the startup splash screen. I have tried plugging it into the computer and zune does not detect it. I can't get the device to go further than the white lg logo. Amazing how this happens just at the very end of my 18 month contract. I don't want to take another contract out right now to replace it if it's possible that it can be repaired. Anyone know if it's a one year or a two year warranty?

It should say in the box with all docs. At the worst you can just bring it back to the place you got it and they will tell you.

I brought it back to the car phone warehouse in Bandon today along with the box, charger and the warranty slip that says that there is a two year warranty with it. The guy behind the counter told me that I should have got a CD with it that has LG software on it. The problem is with the LG hardware and they way android sits on top of it. I should be able to reload the LG software first. He also told me that the two year warranty doesn't apply to the carphone warehouse. They will only honour the first year so I should take it up with LG directly. He did offer me an upgrade to a samsung galaxy 3 with a two year contract.

I brought it back to the car phone warehouse in Bandon today along with the box, charger and the warranty slip that says that there is a two year warranty with it. The guy behind the counter told me that I should have got a CD with it that has LG software on it. The problem is with the LG hardware and they way android sits on top of it. I should be able to reload the LG software first. He also told me that the two year warranty doesn't apply to the carphone warehouse. They will only honour the first year so I should take it up with LG directly. He did offer me an upgrade to a samsung galaxy 3 with a two year contract.

Did he even try logging it in for repair ? Once you try to log it in for repair it will tell you if its still covered or not. That thing about 1 year warranty is bull****, phones can be logged in after 1 year. The software used will tell you weather its still covered or not. Even if its outside the warranty you can still send it away, the pc just warns ya that its outside the warranty period.

Based on the fact that he thought it was Android just shows how good he is at what he does...

I've just learned that ALL phones are covered under a two year warrant with the seller. It's up to CPW to recuperate costs from the manufacturer.

Directive 1999/44/EC on the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees has been implemented by Austria, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.

As a result of this legislation, all consumers, who buy goods in one of the above Member States, have the same right to a minimum guarantee of 2 years on products. Within the first six months of purchase, any lack of conformity or defect shall be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery, unless proved otherwise. After the first six months, it is up to the consumer to prove that the lack of conformity existed at the time of delivery.
    Within this period of 2 years the consumer is entitled to have the goods brought into conformity free of charge. In the first place, the consumer may require the seller to repair the goods or he may require the seller to replace them, unless this is impossible or disproportionate.
    Any repair or replacement shall be completed within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience to the consumer, taking account of the nature of the goods and the purpose for which the consumer required the goods. If this should not be possible the consumer is entitled to ask for a price reduction (smaller defects) or to have the contract rescinded.

I will be returning to the Bandon store tomorrow.

I've just learned that ALL phones are covered under a two year warrant with the seller. It's up to CPW to recuperate costs from the manufacturer.

Directive 1999/44/EC on the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees has been implemented by Austria, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.

As a result of this legislation, all consumers, who buy goods in one of the above Member States, have the same right to a minimum guarantee of 2 years on products. Within the first six months of purchase, any lack of conformity or defect shall be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery, unless proved otherwise. After the first six months, it is up to the consumer to prove that the lack of conformity existed at the time of delivery.
    Within this period of 2 years the consumer is entitled to have the goods brought into conformity free of charge. In the first place, the consumer may require the seller to repair the goods or he may require the seller to replace them, unless this is impossible or disproportionate.
    Any repair or replacement shall be completed within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience to the consumer, taking account of the nature of the goods and the purpose for which the consumer required the goods. If this should not be possible the consumer is entitled to ask for a price reduction (smaller defects) or to have the contract rescinded.

I will be returning to the Bandon store tomorrow.

Good luck :) you will need it :)

Aye, let us know how you get on... :)

Aye, let us know how you get on... :)

So a bit of tweeting and few facebook comments about how they weren't undertaking their legal obligation to deal with my phone gave me the result I wanted. Their head office contacted me and told me to bring the phone down again and they would send it off for repair. I can't say I was overly impressed by the staff in there telling be that regardless of what the law says, it's their policy only to honour a one year warranty and I should take it up with LG. When I told them I would not be "taking it up with LG" and instead I would be going to the small claims court, they said that's fine - do that. As I was leaving the shop one of them let a shout the full length of the store telling me not to approach them and instead take any legal challenge with their head office.
    Now they have the phone but my sister is going to lend me her new Lumina. Is there any way of unlocking it to work on my vodafone sim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Is there any way of unlocking it to work on my vodafone sim?

Ask the network to unlock it?

I'm a bit lost as to why the easiest option is never pursued. I've asked eMobile to unlock my phone, even offered to give a fully refundable deposit if needed.

TBi wrote: »
    Ask the network to unlock it?

I'm a bit lost as to why the easiest option is never pursued. I've asked eMobile to unlock my phone, even offered to give a fully refundable deposit if needed.

Called o2. They said that the phone is still under contract.

Called o2. They said that the phone is still under contract.

Sorry about that. Might be worth trying one of the O2 representatives on here, they are a lot more receptive.

Unfortunately for me too eMobile won't unlock my phone, even though i offered to pay a deposit up front. Stupid, stupid, stupid policy!

Wait was it not a law there that carriers are meant to provide you an unlocking code. If its bill it should be done under request.

PAYG customers gotta spend money. If its your sisters Lumia and she's the account owner ask her to ring and request one.

As long as the account owner request one, there should be no problems

Wait was it not a law there that carriers are meant to provide you an unlocking code. If its bill it should be done under request.

Must search for that. If you have a link to that law i'd be mighty obliged :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just a couple of questions if i may.

Is there any means of blocking or black listing a number on my WP?
    Im getting spammed by a certain retailer everyday with text messages, they got my number last year when they were making a delivery,its beyond a joke now.

Is there any way i can watch twitch tv or similar streaming sites on my WP?
    When i try to watch anything i need to get a certain java but apparently its not available for WP.
    Andriod have the twitch tv app but i dont think WP has one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was there any further word on MS ditching zune as management software?

Oh speed the day :D

Bambi wrote: »
    Was there any further word on MS ditching zune as management software?

Oh speed the day :D

Only rumours. I expect we will hear more on the 20th of June

Only rumours. I expect we will hear more on the 20th of June

I'm going to predict that it'll be replaced with Xbox Music. Which will hopefully have tighter integration between PCs, Xboxes and Windows Phones and - hopefully - launch with more regions supported. :)

But we might know more on the 20th of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Curious as to what this MS announcement on Monday is, takeover of Nokia perhaps? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement