Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindless drunken vandalism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

We're so over the tarbrush BS. The FACT is that GAA supporters treat my area as their playground, trash heap, toilet and riot ground every fortnight, half the year.
    When are YOU GAA FANS going to stop this from occuring?

In fairness i don't think its the responsibility of 'us GAA fans' to do something about it. This is my whole point. These pri*ks who are acting like scum are a tiny minority. I commented about the tar brush thing because instead of letting your logical brain come to the conclusion that there is scum everywhere you and a few others keep posting comments suggesting that 'us GAA fans' as a whole are something to do with this behaviour.

Me and pretty much everyone I know and go to games with detests this kind of behaviour. I just can't see why you are trying to associate me and other fans with these people who are destroying cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

bigbadbear wrote: »
    In fairness i don't think its the responsibility of 'us GAA fans' to do something about it. This is my whole point. These pri*ks who are acting like scum are a tiny minority. I commented about the tar brush thing because instead of letting your logical brain come to the conclusion that there is scum everywhere you and a few others keep posting comments suggesting that 'us GAA fans' as a whole are something to do with this behaviour.

Me and pretty much everyone I know and go to games with detests this kind of behaviour. I just can't see why you are trying to associate me and other fans with these people who are destroying cars etc.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

YOU GAA fans come into MY neighbourhood all the time, and treat it like a sh!theap.
    Those who don't like being called scumbags for the scumbag behaviour that occurs EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a big GAA match at Croker can only change that perception by eradicating the behaviour.
    STOP your mates from 'having de craic' jumping on cars, sh!tting in gardens and screaming till all hours. TAKE THEM HOME AFTER THE GAME.
    It is absolutely the responsibility of GAA fans to sort this out, because it is a problem uniquely caused by people in GAA shirts, on the nights of big GAA games. This problem doesn't happen after soccer or rugby games or concerts. It happens after GAA games, and it happens ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME.
    Quit whining about your reputation. If you want to improve it, implement a zero tolerance policy for such scumbag behaviour.
    GO HOME after games, or if you absolutely must stay in my neighbourhood, then treat it with respect and insist that everyone else does likewise.
    DON'T sh!t in people's gardens or p!ss all over the road. DON'T drink on the street, shouting your head off till all hours. DON'T throw your rubbish all over the place. DON'T vandalise vehicles or property.
    DO go home after games, or take your carousing to somewhere built for it, like the city centre that's only a few minutes walk away.
    DO be quiet. DO respect that it is a residential area.

They wear your shirts. They drink with you. They come to the games with you.
    As locals, we have no way of telling one from another. We get invaded on a fortnightly basis, and while most of the people are merely rowdy and raucous and litter, a minority take it that bit further, behaving like utter animals.
    You should have seen my mate when he saw his car. He was still crying, and I mean shedding tears, when I found him. He's fecking unemployed and that was his one asset, that he hoped to sell to keep his family above the breadline, destroyed by someone in one of YOUR shirts, watching YOUR game.
    If you don't like being tarred with a brush then do something about it. Take you and everyone with you out of my area after games and drink in the city centre. Intervene when you see a GAA 'fan' treating my area with anything other than respect for the residential neighbourhood of families and elderly people that it is.

YOU GAA fans come into MY neighbourhood all the time, and treat it like a sh!theap.

STOP your mates from 'having de craic' jumping on cars, sh!tting in gardens and screaming till all hours. TAKE THEM HOME AFTER THE GAME.
    It is absolutely the responsibility of GAA fans to sort this out, because it is a problem uniquely caused by people in GAA shirts, on the nights of big GAA games. This problem doesn't happen after soccer or rugby games or concerts. It happens after GAA games, and it happens ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME.

Your post oozes of anger. My mates don't do that^^ & that behaviour 100% does happen after soccer games but maybe not the ones in croker. rugby fans are usually excellant.
    Quit whining about your reputation. If you want to improve it, implement a zero tolerance policy for such scumbag behaviour.
    GO HOME after games, or if you absolutely must stay in my neighbourhood, then treat it with respect and insist that everyone else does likewise.

I generally go up to Quinns and I very much resepect your neighbourhood
    DON'T sh!t in people's gardens or p!ss all over the road. DON'T drink on the street, shouting your head off till all hours. DON'T throw your rubbish all over the place. DON'T vandalise vehicles or property.

This summarises my whole argument. Nobody I even know or have spoken to acts like this!!

How can you not separate this very small amount scummers from the tens of thousands who go to the game and enjoy it, have a few pints and go home with a big battered sausage at the end of the night

They wear your shirts. They drink with you. They come to the games with you.
    As locals, we have no way of telling one from another. We get invaded on a fortnightly basis, and while most of the people are merely rowdy and raucous and litter, a minority take it that bit further, behaving like utter animals.

It generally sounds to me like you have a snobbery/anti GAA complex

If you don't like being tarred with a brush then do something about it. Take you and everyone with you out of my area after games and drink in the city centre. Intervene when you see a GAA 'fan' treating my area with anything other than respect for the residential neighbourhood of families and elderly people that it is.

Hang on till I get my stab vest and batton to go and patrol the Clonliffe road until the early hours of the morning.:rolleyes:

I would intervene (within reason) if I saw things like this happening
    You should have seen my mate when he saw his car. He was still crying, and I mean shedding tears, when I found him. He's fecking unemployed and that was his one asset, that he hoped to sell to keep his family above the breadline, destroyed by someone in one of YOUR shirts, watching YOUR game.

You're right now that I think of it. We're all the same and are just a bunch of savages.

How can you be so blind to see that these guys aren't welcome among normal people and are just as unwelcome in the GAA as they are everywhere else.

After all is said, what is your suggestion for an actual solution to the problem?

Your post oozes of anger. My mates don't do that^^ & that behaviour 100% does happen after soccer games but maybe not the ones in croker. rugby fans are usually excellant.

I lived near soccer grounds in a number of cities, including two in Dublin. It often happened in those areas, but nothing like what we see in Drumcondra after GAA games. While Airtricity league fans have problems to resolve, they're very much in the ha'penny place compared to GAA fans in Drumcondra.
    And the Republic of Ireland soccer fans were generally exemplary in my experience, the one exception being the Poland friendly when some Poles cause hassle.

I generally go up to Quinns and I very much resepect your neighbourhood

I wish the hundreds who go to Quinns and don't were more like you.
    This summarises my whole argument. Nobody I even know or have spoken to acts like this!!

SOMEBODY knows them. They're there after every game, causing trouble, behaving like animals. They don't all live alone in caves (though they seem to behave like they do). They're there among you, at the game, and at the pub afterwards.
    How can you not separate this very small amount scummers from the tens of thousands who go to the game and enjoy it, have a few pints and go home with a big battered sausage at the end of the night

Because even the ones who THINK they're being well behaved forget somehow that they roared their heads off at their mates till all hours, threw rubbish all round the place and pissed on the street.
    Just because their night didn't end in a police station or A+E, they think they were angels. They weren't, necessarily.
    Instead of going home 'at the end of the night', whenever you define that, bearing in mind that for those of us who live in the area and have jobs and responsibilities, the end of the night is a lot earlier than you'd like it to be, how about you leave the area IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE GAME?
    Go drink where you're welcome. Eat your sausage where you're wanted. Stop wrecking my neighbourhood. Stop others from doing so too.
    Frankly, anyone who claims to go to Quinns till all hours after GAA matches and sees nothing anti-social about the hordes of roaring scumbags screaming their heads off, smacking the face off each other, pissing, puking and sh!tting in my area, are lying.
    It happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.
    It generally sounds to me like you have a snobbery/anti GAA complex

What's snobbish about asking people who visit my area to treat it with respect?
    How could I not get upset at GAA fans when they trash my neighbourhood repeatedly and destroy my mate's property?
    What do you suggest? That we all put up with such animal scumbag behaviour? Our housing existed centuries before the stadium did.

Hang on till I get my stab vest and batton to go and patrol the Clonliffe road until the early hours of the morning.:rolleyes:

This is my problem in a nutshell. The attitude of 'ah shure dey're just having de craic'. Not my problem.
    It IS your problem, if you don't want to be tarred with that mythological brush everyone keeps going on about. If you want GAA fans to be respected, then it is YOUR responsibility to rein in those who think it's fun to destroy, vandalise, defecate, scream and litter.
    I would intervene (within reason) if I saw things like this happening

You'd be the first.

You're right now that I think of it. We're all the same and are just a bunch of savages.

Quit whining. You're not all the same, but you all tolerate with a wink and a nod the out-of-order behaviour of those who are savages.
    Until there's a zero tolerance policy across the board among GAA fans, this crap will continue.
    It DOESN'T happen with other fans, be they other codes or music fans, and it DOES happen at other GAA arenas, as other posters have testified.
    It's time GAA fans started behaving properly and stopped hiding behind BS about how locals in the vicinity of stadia ought to accept a level of anti-social behaviour.
    How can you be so blind to see that these guys aren't welcome among normal people and are just as unwelcome in the GAA as they are everywhere else.

Because the GAA does sweet FA about it, and the GAA-influence Gardai do sweet FA about it, and because the GAA supporters on this thread are WAY more concerned about their reputation than they are about preventing this from happening EVERY SINGLE TIME.
    After all is said, what is your suggestion for an actual solution to the problem?

Short of a massive Gardai presence that moved EVERYONE who wasn't a resident out of the area instantly after GAA matches, the only solution is for GAA fans to establish a zero tolerance policy towards this behaviour, by intervening when they see it.
    Until the culture within GAA fans towards this behaviour changes, a minority will feel they are permitted to sh!t in gardens, p!ss on streets, turf their litter where they please, scream till all hours and trash property.
    When they are barred from GAA games, and when right-thinking GAA fans start shunning them, the behaviour will change, and only then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I tell you what. You arent going to solve this problem extreme multiquoting on boards.ie

Until the culture within GAA fans towards this behaviour changes, a minority will feel they are permitted to sh!t in gardens, p!ss on streets, turf their litter where they please, scream till all hours and trash property.
    When they are barred from GAA games, and when right-thinking GAA fans start shunning them, the behaviour will change, and only then.

This culture exists wholly in your head. There is no acceptance.

Like what do you want the fans to do? seriously?

Do you actully want us to patrol the area??? Shun/ban these people is what you suggested. You should present video footage to the GAA and see what they say about it. Get the GAA/The Gardaí/DCC to install CCTV around the area.

It's certainly isn't my problem anyway as I dont approve of this behaviour. If you can come up with a real action that me or my friends could take to help somehow then let me know. Until then you can say "most GAA fans are rowdy, raucous and drop litter" if you like.

You're winning no sympathy by blaming your area's problems on the people who agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

I can see where the OP is coming from as I was up on August 1 and one of the pubs outside the DART Station was covered in sick (There were games the previous day). Not being smart though people down the country worl too you know and anytime I have stayed over is the Saturday night and the same can be said for the majority of GAA fans. A lot stay the night prior to a game but very few the Sunday night itself so I wouldnt blame GAA fans without proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

h

Gaelic football is the most popular sport in Ireland so obviously there is going to be alot of incidents around the country. Doesn't mean you can start going around tarring everyone with the same brush

eh no its not? alot more people play soccer every night of the week in this country than play Gaelic football? and where as 90% of the lads i went ot school with were interested in soccer and watched it regularly i wouldnt think half would be that interested in Gaelic football, and before anyone jumps down my throat i love watching a good game of gaelic and would regularly attended local county championship games and league games.

flas wrote: »
    eh no its not? alot more people play soccer every night of the week in this country than play Gaelic football? and where as 90% of the lads i went ot school with were interested in soccer and watched it regularly i wouldnt think half would be that interested in Gaelic football, and before anyone jumps down my throat i love watching a good game of gaelic and would regularly attended local county championship games and league games.

Are you based in dublin by any chance? cause it may cloud your view a bit

click me

• Advertisement

This culture exists wholly in your head. There is no acceptance.

Like what do you want the fans to do? seriously?

GO HOME.
    That's what I want you and all the GAA fans to do, straight after games. GO HOME. Or go to the city centre. Just leave my area when the game is over.
    DON'T hang around, drinking, puking, fighting and breaking things for the craic.
    Just leave.

GO HOME.
    That's what I want you and all the GAA fans to do, straight after games. GO HOME. Or go to the city centre. Just leave my area when the game is over.
    DON'T hang around, drinking, puking, fighting and breaking things for the craic.
    Just leave.

Jeeze your starting to annoy me.

I'm going to have to shít in your garden if you tell me that i'm one of these people again.:rolleyes:

You said us GAA fans should do something about these people. I was saying every man should be responsible for his own actions. From the above post it looks like you finally agree with me.

To summarise: Cavehill Red thinks all we should do is go home after the games and all the anti GAA fan comments he made earlier are retracted because he realises that you shouldn't generalise about good people because some other people who happen to share an interest in a particular sport go around causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Are you based in dublin by any chance? cause it may cloud your view a bit

click me

no not based in dublin, but went to college there and we used to play 6 a side every second night for the 4 years i was there and every night we were playing every single pitch was taken up with people playing and there would be people on before us and people on after us,all playing soccer...

now when ever i go to any astro pitches any day of the week they are always full of people playing soccer!how many people in this country watch a soccer match every single week?or follow the results?just because they dont go and watch the league of ireland week in week out,which is a completely different can of worms i do not wish to open because i am a life long fan of LTFC,but just say,for ****s and giggles that everyone in this country who supports united or liverpool or celtic went to local football every week? how would the stats look then?

i think its clear, from anyway you look at it that soccer is the most popular sport in this country, easiest to get involved with, all you need is a few friends and a ball, instant kick about, its still soccer!

i think i must state aswell i do like GAA,i have played GAA up until i was 18,won county medals and worked for in my local GAA clubhouse for 3 years so im not anti-GAA, just stating the truth!! think about it without a clouded judgement, i love the gaa,not exactly all the people involved with it,think alot of them could do with joining us in 2010( its not 1920 anymore) but i still love the sport.

Jeeze your starting to annoy me.

I'm going to have to shít in your garden if you tell me that i'm one of these people again.:rolleyes:

You wouldn't be the first GAA-head to do so. You might be the last though.

You said us GAA fans should do something about these people. I was saying every man should be responsible for his own actions. From the above post it looks like you finally agree with me.

No, I don't agree. If you don't like me saying that GAA-heads come into my area and behave like animals, then either you and the other GAA fans work to prevent anyone from doing so, or else you accept that you're ALL going to be considered scum by those of us who have to put up with your far-too-regular invasions of our district.
    To summarise: Cavehill Red thinks all we should do is go home after the games and all the anti GAA fan comments he made earlier are retracted because he realises that you shouldn't generalise about good people because some other people who happen to share an interest in a particular sport go around causing trouble.

More straw men than a field full of scarecrows.
    I've consistently said that a minority cause the serious problems. A larger group behave anti-socially. And ALL GAA fans coming to Croker have two responsibilities - to treat the area with the same respect they'd treat their own living space, and to ensure that all other GAA fans they see do likewise.

More straw men than a field full of scarecrows.
    I've consistently said that a minority cause the serious problems. A larger group behave anti-socially. And ALL GAA fans coming to Croker have two responsibilities - to treat the area with the same respect they'd treat their own living space, and to ensure that all other GAA fans they see do likewise.

How? I've asked you this above and you said by going home. come on I will genuinely do my part if its realistic just tell me exactly what my responsibility is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

GO HOME.
    Just leave.

Man its like talking to a brick wall from the country, some of these gaa heads are notorious for not listening to another persons viewpoint. Im not gaa fan but went with several friends to a few games recently and saw some of this grasshole behaviour your talking about and your right in no way is it a small group of people doing this its a large number of the baxtards.

I remember after the meath kildare game (was staying at my cousins near croker) game some meath fans shouting down the road fu*k louth at all hours and some psycho with arms like legs running out shouting theiry an mhis get the fu*k home.

just to say according to family there its definatly after the gaa games the apes go wild

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NOTE TO SELF: should I ever get a house in near Croaker, electrify the front door around match times.

Someone gets sick on it, zap.

Someone pees on it, zap.

Someone leans against it, zap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is that what happened your kitty?

How? I've asked you this above and you said by going home. come on I will genuinely do my part if its realistic just tell me exactly what my responsibility is.

My ideal world? Hold the games elsewhere.
    Next best option? Area cleared of all fans within 20 minutes of game ending.
    What would I like you to do if the above two things don't happen? Simple. Don't p!ss or sh!t in public. Don't litter. Don't drink on the street. In fact, don't drink in my area at all. Take it into the city centre and do it there, before and after the game. Better still, go home. Take your mates with you. Especially the drunk ones, the messy ones, the ones who reckon that smashing up a car is great craic after a feed of drink and a batterburger.
    And if you do decide to stay in my area despite not being welcome, then treat it with the respect you'd treat your own home, because it is the home of many families and elderly people who do not appreciate you or your friends yelling till all hours outside the door.
    And if you see someone in a GAA top behaving like an animal, intervene and prevent them, otherwise, yes, you're all going to get tarred with that brush you seem fixated about.
    The soccer fans behaved fine, and the rugby fans were excellent. The concert goers don't cause many problems at all.
    But every time there's a big GAA match, it's like the loonies got day-release from the asylum all over my neighbourhood.
    GAA fans as a whole need to get their house in order and either learn to behave like civilised human beings and ensure all their cohort do likewise, or else take it somewhere else, because we're sick of it.

@Cavenhill red How long you living round there?? Why not move?

• Advertisement

My cousin or cavehill red or any residents do not have to move in a recession because some muck savages come up to the area before their house trained.

@Cavenhill red How long you living round there?? Why not move?

Why should I have to?
    Should everyone in the area move?
    Why can't the people who come into my neighbourhood start behaving like human beings instead?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    My cousin or cavehill red or any residents do not have to move in a recession because some muck savages come up to the area before their house trained.

I was hoping people would use their brain and avoid this answer without me having to spell it out.

SO here I am spelling out the plain obvious:

You shouldnt have to move but if you're renting it might be a good idea. I know after hearing whats been said on this thread i wont be ever moving in around that area.

I suppose some people are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Tough to move if you have a mortgage though

Why can't the people who come into my neighbourhood start behaving like human beings instead?
    why dont you ask them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

My ideal world? Hold the games elsewhere.
    Next best option? Area cleared of all fans within 20 minutes of game ending.
    What would I like you to do if the above two things don't happen? Simple. Don't p!ss or sh!t in public. Don't litter. Don't drink on the street. In fact, don't drink in my area at all. Take it into the city centre and do it there, before and after the game. Better still, go home. Take your mates with you. Especially the drunk ones, the messy ones, the ones who reckon that smashing up a car is great craic after a feed of drink and a batterburger.
    And if you do decide to stay in my area despite not being welcome, then treat it with the respect you'd treat your own home, because it is the home of many families and elderly people who do not appreciate you or your friends yelling till all hours outside the door.
    And if you see someone in a GAA top behaving like an animal, intervene and prevent them, otherwise, yes, you're all going to get tarred with that brush you seem fixated about.
    The soccer fans behaved fine, and the rugby fans were excellent. The concert goers don't cause many problems at all.
    But every time there's a big GAA match, it's like the loonies got day-release from the asylum all over my neighbourhood.
    GAA fans as a whole need to get their house in order and either learn to behave like civilised human beings and ensure all their cohort do likewise, or else take it somewhere else, because we're sick of it.

Im not condoning the actions of these people but as someone regularly attends GAA matches in Croke Park and elsewhere, im not there to play nanny to some clown who cant hold his drink. If he was someone who i attended the match with then yes i would look after him but this has yet to happen.

I dont complain about people from dublin hassling me in my home town and i certainly dont expect other dubs to take care of him.

I was hoping people would use their brain and avoid this answer without me having to spell it out.

SO here I am spelling out the plain obvious:

You shouldnt have to move but if you're renting it might be a good idea. I know after hearing whats been said on this thread i wont be ever moving in around that area.

I suppose some people are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Tough to move if you have a mortgage though

Its also tough to move if you have principles and remember that you shouldnt have to leave your friends family ect because some gaa heads cant hold their drink

Its also tough to move if you have principles and remember that you shouldnt have to leave your friends family ect because some gaa heads cant hold their drink

nose,cut,spite,face= "principles" Who are you trying to impress.

Anyway I was just saying that it might be worth his while getting out of there. After all the hullaballoo when the U2 gig was on and everything.

They should put a compulsory warning before the poor guys move into that area that you can expect the sort of cráp that everyone has said goes on. I know what I'd do if i found some scummer píssing in my garden.

@Cavenhill red Could I buy your ticket off you if the Dubs get into the final? better me than some dirty lout:p

Anyway I was just saying that it might be worth his while getting out of there. After all the hullaballoo when the U2 gig was on and everything.

They should put a compulsory warning before the poor guys move into that area that you can expect the sort of cráp that everyone has said goes on. I know what I'd do if i found some scummer píssing in my garden.

@Cavenhill red Could I buy your ticket off you if the Dubs get into the final? better me than some dirty lout:p

Well no one really but to be honest i think the responsiblity is on the scum causing the trouble and the police, the residents should in no way move to facilitate this behaviour then they woud just be accepting it and no way would most of the locals there accept some bogmen to run them out.

Myself i dont live there but my cousin does and tbh it doesnt bother her to much either as she knows how to take advantage of their stupidity (once she ordered a taxi for them and sent them to sheriff street at 3 am were aparantly they woke up half the locals )

by the way i might seem to be coming across rude Its not my intention, just seen a fair bit of it myself in my cousins area and i know that some of the locals get it bad from the scum bags but if you told them to move so they dont have to put up with scum i know for fact most of them would see that as giving up, as i myself would i dont belive in running away from problems

• Advertisement

by the way i might seem to be coming across rude Its not my intention, just seen a fair bit of it myself in my cousins area and i know that some of the locals get it bad from the scum bags but if you told them to move so they dont have to put up with scum i know for fact most of them would see that as giving up, as i myself would i dont belive in running away from problems

not rude at all. I know people are proud but It looks like (In cavenhill red's case anyway) these guys are really getting to him. If there is no solution in site then it might be best to bottle the pride and move around the corner. It's not like these guys are watching and will see themselves as victors over him. Nobody else will think any less of him either.

Anyway, I reckon there has to be better ways of dealing about the problem like CCTV or somethin.

I'm curious though. Where do these guy be coming from in the early hours of the morning?? I always thought the culchies went home that night (jurys maybe??)

I thought most people head for one of the locals around croker for a pint then off to town or home an hour or two later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement