Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Angel?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

galwayrush wrote: »
    If she lived in Tuam, she would be the only proper Hoodrat in the town.:pac::pac:
    If she lived in Fermoy and contracted it through rape, then she probably would have been stoned to death at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Here's a brief report that shows her in court today:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm kind of surprised that people think 10 years is an adequate sentence. Her disregard for life may not have killed anyone, but it had the potential to massively affect dozens of lives. Not just the people who she gave it to, but whoever they sleep with afterward, their families and to society as a whole. It's easy to say that it's more treatable these days but I'm guessing it's not so easy to live a normal life with it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hope he's still alive when she gets out of prison so that he can kill her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's easy to say that it's more treatable these days but I'm guessing it's not so easy to live a normal life with it
    Difficulty living your life would be psychological more than anything else. HIV is generally asymptomatic except for a month or so where you feel like you've got an insanely heavy flu.
    After that, the long period which can last weeks or years, the individual feels no adverse effects and generally lives a normal life with the exception of the drugs that they take.
    It would be the psychological stuff that gets to you - knowing that you're infected and potentially living on borrowed time. But aside from that, there's nothing preventing you from living a perfectly normal life.

You only develop serious symptoms at the end of the infection. HIV doesn't actually kill you. It just strips away your immune system and then a whole pile of other things jump in there and finish the job. This is AIDS, the final stage of HIV infection. It doesn't last very long and generally once someone has reached that stage it's only a matter of trying to make them comfortable.

As Chris Rock said, "They ain't ever curing AIDS". There's no money in curing diseases, there's only money in treating them. Rather than an HIV vaccine or cure, they will come up with all sorts of treatments which cost €100/week and which you have to take for the rest of your life. Our best hope for a cure is university research, but they rely on funding from private companies, so they're not being pushed to develop cures, rather to develop treatments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

She deserves to go to jail.

I mean shes a rich singer but didn't even go to the bother of injecting $100,000 into her body to cure her AIDS....

some people are soooooo stupid. DERP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

the_syco wrote: »
    I hope he's still alive when she gets out of prison so that he can kill her.

With full blown aids!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

What the hell am I going to do with ten thousand Angel ash trays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

cson wrote: »
    What the hell am I going to do with ten thousand Angel ash trays?

I'll trade you them for these 10,000 angel glowsticks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's a crappy thing to do for sure, criminal even, but you know what folks - bad people exist, you have to take responsibility for your own actions to some extent.
    If she had the virus without knowing it, the guy wold have been no less exposed, he took a risk and it went wrong for him. Sure she's a bitch and so on, but he done nothing to help himself.
    It's a sad case really, it's a risk we've probably all taken, personally i was very careless when i was younger and have only sheer luck to thank that i didn't catch something nasty, if i had of done, I would really have had myself to blame! This guy has himself to blame too. Although i accept her knowledge and intent means she should be punished somehow. She should definitely have insisted on a condom at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is it ok to joke about AIDS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

This thread makes my head hurt >_<

HIV is not the same as Aids ¬_¬

Having HIV doesn't mean you're on medication all of the time either, I have a friend who was infected nearly 2 years ago and still doesn't have to take medication yet, it's not a life sentence as some people seem to think :rolleyes:.

Emotionally it did wreck him when he found out but now he's happy and healthy. The only difference now is he insists on useing condoms all of the time. He doesn't blame the guy who infected him, he knew the risks he was taking by having unprotected sex.

While she's not without blame, in this day and age anyone who has unprotected sex deserves what they get, so I would hold them equally responsible.

Your health is YOUR responsibility, no one elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

YFlyer wrote: »

As long as you do it with style I believe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

azezil wrote: »

Having HIV doesn't mean you're on medication all of the time either, I have a friend who was infected nearly 2 years ago and still doesn't have to take medication yet, it's not a life sentence as some people seem to think :rolleyes:.

Emotionally it did wreck him when he found out but now he's happy and healthy. The only difference now is he insists on useing condoms all of the time. He doesn't blame the guy who infected him, he knew the risks he was taking by having unprotected sex.

While she's not without blame, in this day and age anyone who has unprotected sex deserves what they get, so I would hold them equally responsible.

Hehehehehehehehehe - your friend has the ghey ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

YFlyer wrote: »
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    As long as you do it with style I believe it is.

^^^^^ This is not doing it with style. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did the guy who infected him know he was HIV+?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Play him off, keyboard cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Okay, so it's really shit to sleep with someone unprotected if you know that you have AIDS or any STI, but at the same time, it takes two to tango. It's not like we're all completely ignorant about these kind of things anymore. You can't always tell just by looking if a person has any kind of STI, so it's better to be safe than sorry imo. We are responsible for our own sexual health really, and the blame has got to lie with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Novella wrote: »
    We are responsible for our own sexual health really, and the blame has got to lie with both.

That may be true; but that doesnt mean the blame is split evenly. 95% - 5% in favour of the woman is probably about right.

And just because the bloke might have been stupid doesnt mean the woman wasnt acting criminally. Whioch, of course, she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Did the guy who infected him know he was HIV+?

My mate certainly seems to think so, but that's all in retrospect. At the time he didn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Of course people have to take responsibility for their own health, but to these three situations are not the same:
    1. Person A has unprotected sex with Person B. Unbeknownst to Person B, they are HIV-positive. Person A contracts HIV.
    2. Person A has unprotected sex with Person B. Person B knows they are HIV-positive, but does not inform Person A. Person A contracts HIV.
    3. Person A has unprotected sex with Person B. Person B knows they are HIV-positive, but not inform Person A. Person A does not contract HIV.

In case 1, Person A and B are equivalent. In case 2 and 3, person B is aware they could transmit HIV to Person A, and yet does not inform Person A to this danger. Person B is highly immoral in this case, and I think the law and sentencing should reflect this.

It's the intent that is wrong here. Throwing a rock and hitting someone that you didn't know was there Vs. throwing a rock at someone is not the same thing. Both are wrong (shouldn't be throwing rocks), the outcome is the same (someone is hit by a rock), but the second case is worse (intentionally causing harm).

The blame does lie with both. But only has clearly not acted in good faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

100% the fault of the woman in question. People have unprotected sex the whole time. It's not big (in most cases..) and it's certainly not smart but nevertheless it happens. To knowingly infect someone like in this case it tantamount to a life sentence. Poor form and my sympathy completely lies with the man in question.

It really is a life sentence though. For a straight guy at least, would you be able to have kids? How many women would want to go out with someone who was HIV positive?

But yeah, suit up kids. Even if condoms ruin sex, they're better than HIV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

FFS she only ended up getting a 2 year suspended sentence.

What a disgrace it is when somebody can deliberetly choose to risk infecting you with a potentially life threatening disease & walk away scot free!
    Sickening!

Advertisement