Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserve peeling paint on weathered wood

Options
  • 16-08-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

This is an odd one, but does anyone know how I could go about preserving some peeling paint on wood?

You see I found this old window shutter which is beautifully weathered. The old paint is peeling off which gives a great effect. I would like to preserve it in the state it is in and move it indoors.

The best I can come up with is spraying it with a varnish, but apart from giving it an unwanted sheen, I reckon that that wont stop the paint peeling (along with the varnish on top of it) if something/one brushes against the wood.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could try giving is a light coat of diluted PVA, but this will leave a sheen also and I'm not sure how a waterbased PVA will go over an old oil-based paint. An acrylic "satin" varnish could work, but there will be a mid sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Since you're bringing it indoors, some kind of frame with a glass front (like a big picture frame) might be the best way, still need to keep it out of the sun and away from heat though. It wouldn't preserve it forever. Might make a nice glass coffee table top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

You could try Owatrol Oil on it? It tends to soak into the wood and bind any loose matrial with it. Not sure if the finish would suit so you'd have to try on an area you won't see first.

http://igoe.ie/OWATROL-OIL It says its a paint addative and rust treatment but read the whole text as its really just a liquid binder that goes hard. Clear Textrol http://igoe.ie/Textrol-Penetrating-Oil-for-Wood is a very similar product smells the same goes on the same and gives a very similar finish so the link might give you an idea of how the finish will look.

Advertisement