Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 minute (minimum) parking throughout town?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever happened to this?

There's a couple of the machines (one across from Toff's doesn't, but one down further beside one of the HSE offices that do) that allow you put in 50c to park for 25 minutes but the majority of them don't. And I remember hearing they were planning to introduce it on all the machines.

The worst thing is the majority of them have a minimum of 50c stated on them and when you put in the 50c, it then says minimum of €1.20 on screen.

Am sick of having to either duck into Tesco to pick up one or two items, and either not put a ticket on the car (and constantly worry about it! :D) or put on a ticket for €1.20 for 10 minutes parking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There are still a few left as far as I know that are 40c (not 50c) for 20 minutes - at the back of Quayside, outside Dominos, the top of Harmony Hill, Dominic Street, Market Place, outside Envy & along the river across from the Glasshouse.

Haven't been in town during the day for around 2 weeks though, so I don't know if the system has changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh yeah.. those machines are scattered alright.

But I remember hearing that The Sligo Champion / Weekender had an article stating that they were bringing the minimum (40c as you correctly said) into ALL the machines. It'd be particularly useful in Tesco car park.

But some of them that are a minimum of €1.20 still state 50c minimum on the actual written instructions on the machine.

Ah - I see. I thought you meant they were getting rid of all the 40c ones, not the other way around! It'd be miles better if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Totally agree with basquille on this we were under the impression that all machines were to have the same standard, pisses me off when you try the fifty cent and then told min of 120. TBH if I know I am going to be less then 20mins then sometimes its worth the risk :o.

bennyc wrote: »
    TBH if I know I am going to be less then 20mins then sometimes its worth the risk :o.
    Yeah, exactly!

But I'd rather throw in the 50 - 60 cent for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

TBH if I know I am going to be less then 20mins then sometimes its worth the risk :o.

...especially on rainy days...there tends to be less checking of tickets in the carpark on rainy days strangely enough...;)

I try and avoid Tesco tbh, it's not worth the headwreck of parking, or paying! You could be rather cheeky, and pick up a 20min ticket down on the Quays and then use that ticket in Tesco...(although I can't remember if the machine prints the location of it on it though...if it does, that plan may not be workable!)

itac wrote: »
    (although I can't remember if the machine prints the location of it on it though...if it does, that plan may not be workable!)
    I've done this! :D

I've parked in the Car Park in Abbey Street and nipped round the corner to the ticket machine across from Cafe Victor that has the 40c minimum, and walked back and put it on the car in Abbey Street.

I'm not sure if it prints the machine location on it, but I sincerally doubt they're gonna pay attention to it through the window on your dash! ;)

Also something else I noticed was there's a ticket machine beside Life Beauty Salon on Pearse Road (just above the old Monaghan's shop, or Pearse Stores I think it's called now) and it only allows the €1.20 minimum but there's a sign on it (professionally printed) saying that 20 minute tickets are available on the ticket machine in front of where Nicholson's Garage was.

I must learn how to use Photoshop. Those tickets couldn't be all that hard to scan & print dates on with a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I must learn how to use Photoshop. Those tickets couldn't be all that hard to scan & print dates on with a PC.

Thats as bad as when you used to be able to use a pound coin to weigh down the old scratch cards and cover the other dates used

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Thats as bad as when you used to be able to use a pound coin to weigh down the old scratch cards and cover the other dates used

I knew that I was not the only one that did this!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement