Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MilSim Dublin

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

Spetzcong wrote: »
    I agree with you on most of your points, however, I think that part of the problem with milsim attendance is the fact that it has been run on evenings and less busy days. I'm not a site owner, so I don't know if sacrificing the revenue from a Sunday's gaming is viable, but I think it's fair to say that most if not all site owners in the country started up sites because of a love of the sport, although sites are commercial operations, they're not exclusively there to make money, they're also there because the site owner(s) love airsoft and want to see it grow in the country. It's not like we want anyone to go bankrupt over this, but if there are site owners who would like to see milsim grow, and if taking a small hit in revenue for one day out of a month isn't going to break the bank or make things too finacially difficult for them then I don't see the harm in us asking. I mean if the answer is "No sorry, milsim just can't bring in the kind of money I need to make that day" then that's fair enough but there's also the chance that milsim will take off, and that 1 Sunday donated to milsim could turn into a very busy day and a nice little money earner for the site.

Saturdays are certainly an alternative to Sundays, to be honest, once it's a weekend day I don't mind which one it is, I just think that in order to gather up enough steam to really start catching on milsim needs to happen more often than waiting on Bank Holidays will allow. I think a milsim portal is a fantastic idea, and will certainly help push the development of milsim gaming but I think it's equally important that we have regular milsim games being held both to give new players the opportunity to try milsim and keep old hands interested enough to keep putting the effort in.

One really good thing that a milsim portal would do is allow us to get an accurate idea of just how many people there are in the country who would have an interest in milsim at this stage.

Lads I know the Title said Milsim Dublin but without wanting to come across as trying to take the opportunistic approach, we have a site that would lend itself to a milsim game and your more than welcome to come down and see if it suits your needs if you'd want

Just letting you know it's there if you need it

regards
    Danin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Danin wrote: »
    Lads I know the Title said Milsim Dublin but without wanting to come across as trying to take the opportunistic approach, we have a site that would lend itself to a milsim game and your more than welcome to come down and see if it suits your needs if you'd want

regards
    Danin
    Let us play on all 1000 acres of the estate and it's a deal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭GoTac

regards
    Danin

+1

Our Carlow site is also available, 500 acers over two days every two months (Saturday/Sunday )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Spetzcong wrote: »
    I agree with you on most of your points, however, I think that part of the problem with milsim attendance is the fact that it has been run on evenings and less busy days. I'm not a site owner, so I don't know if sacrificing the revenue from a Sunday's gaming is viable, but I think it's fair to say that most if not all site owners in the country started up sites because of a love of the sport, although sites are commercial operations, they're not exclusively there to make money, they're also there because the site owner(s) love airsoft and want to see it grow in the country. It's not like we want anyone to go bankrupt over this, but if there are site owners who would like to see milsim grow, and if taking a small hit in revenue for one day out of a month isn't going to break the bank or make things too finacially difficult for them then I don't see the harm in us asking. I mean if the answer is "No sorry, milsim just can't bring in the kind of money I need to make that day" then that's fair enough but there's also the chance that milsim will take off, and that 1 Sunday donated to milsim could turn into a very busy day and a nice little money earner for the site.

Saturdays are certainly an alternative to Sundays, to be honest, once it's a weekend day I don't mind which one it is, I just think that in order to gather up enough steam to really start catching on milsim needs to happen more often than waiting on Bank Holidays will allow. I think a milsim portal is a fantastic idea, and will certainly help push the development of milsim gaming but I think it's equally important that we have regular milsim games being held both to give new players the opportunity to try milsim and keep old hands interested enough to keep putting the effort in.

One really good thing that a milsim portal would do is allow us to get an accurate idea of just how many people there are in the country who would have an interest in milsim at this stage.

Red barn run midcap wednesdays as said a few times and from the word I hear its a solid night and good fun. The one night I got out it was well enjoyable.

There was for a long stage where in the morning session the Attack the LZ warmup game was strictly limited ammo.

From viewing the games, see how they run and what happens, there is absolutely no doubt the limited ammo version was better, more intense, brought everyones play level up and they were thoroughly more enjoyable.

Dobby very much went out on the limb. red Barn gets some serious numbers over the weekends, with the vast majority being hicap players, so telling them they can bring one hicap obviously at first didnt go down well. But from the few times I saw it run, you could hear alot of positive feedback and even a few players investing in the midcaps.

I'm not sure if it still happens not but last few times it hasn't. A site owner is obviously running a business. They might be there to gain some profit or they might be there for encourage growth in the sport. Either way they need money flowing in to keep the place going. That means satisfying customers.

The milsim community is simply not large enough, or big enough to influence game styles on sites.

HRTA last year announced the idea of a club membership. When that was announced milsim was having a little peak especially around HRTA with jebrovia and the successful bank holiday games, and on the walk on days there was a serious amount of midcap players and limited ammo games and it was tremendous.

I had envisiged that it could possibly become our own little Mac for Dublin. Club membership, all coming together to create what at the time looked like milsim focused gaming. It sounded great.

However the idea never came to fruition for whatever reason. But its something to think about really. If I had a way of hitting mac every week I simply just would, take out membership and let that be me for airsoft.

I dont know if there is the base for Dublin for something like this, but the beuty is your not making profit, your guys running your own site, with your own members, and occasionaly pop an invite out to people who you seem worthy/fit to play on your private site.

I'd imagine the likes of rent and insurance in this country is probably a serious barrier to entry for something like this to happen.

Looking at where airsoft is now and where I see myself in five years. I'd hope to be able to be part of a milsim club, part of a site/club that is milsim majority, not skirmishing. Pay an annual subscription fee, to cover the costs of insurance and rent for 12 months and then just go play. And have piece of mind that I'm guaranteed to be playing week in week out the games I want, the games I enjoy, never having to endure any bull**** cheating or ****e that ruins a day, and can just get enjoying airsoft for what it is.

This sort of structure is VERY popular accross Eruope and who knows maybe if this gains a thunderball of interest and enough people are willing, who knows down the line, the opportunity may arise to invest in a club of our own for milsimmers to call home.

Solid points by Oz as usual regarding milsim by the way :)

That will be .50cent for the use of Ridic TM payable to my paypal account.

sliabh wrote: »
    Let us play on all 1000 acres of the estate and it's a deal! :D

Could be arranged ..... but I don't think current numbers for milsim would warrant such as size going by recent attempts to launch an event on that scale but you never know in the future it could be a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

TheDoc wrote: »
    Dobby very much went out on the limb. red Barn gets some serious numbers over the weekends, with the vast majority being hicap players, so telling them they can bring one hicap obviously at first didnt go down well. But from the few times I saw it run, you could hear alot of positive feedback and even a few players investing in the midcaps.

I'm not sure if it still happens not but last few times it hasn't. A site owner is obviously running a business. They might be there to gain some profit or they might be there for encourage growth in the sport. Either way they need money flowing in to keep the place going. That means satisfying customers.

The milsim community is simply not large enough, or big enough to influence game styles on sites.

Looking at where airsoft is now and where I see myself in five years. I'd hope to be able to be part of a milsim club, part of a site/club that is milsim majority, not skirmishing. Pay an annual subscription fee, to cover the costs of insurance and rent for 12 months and then just go play. And have piece of mind that I'm guaranteed to be playing week in week out the games I want, the games I enjoy, never having to endure any bull**** cheating or ****e that ruins a day, and can just get enjoying airsoft for what it is.

This sort of structure is VERY popular accross Eruope and who knows maybe if this gains a thunderball of interest and enough people are willing, who knows down the line, the opportunity may arise to invest in a club of our own for milsimmers to call home.

Good point, I'd forgotten about the limited ammo games at Red Barn, also, even in the non-limited ammo games, the lads at Red Barn have been pushing the boat out in terms of objective based games and props (the bombs and detonators are savage), I also heard about the Club membership idea at HRTA and had high hopes considering the ammount of support for Milsim that HRTA has given, so respect and praise where it's due to both Dobby and Paul.

I agree that currently the numbers interested in milsim probably aren't big enough to influence sites, and as you have quite rightly pointed out above site owners have been supporting milsim and helping move things forward, so asking for more support at this stage is probably not only premature but a little cheeky.

In the end I think for milsim purists, a private club may be the only way forward. I'd certainly join, and give it my full support. Given the long hours, and current low numbers, for the best milsim experience possible it would almost certainly need to be a non-profit venture, where players who have an interest can pursue that aspect of our sport without interfering with a normal site's bread and butter.

I don't have an issue with normal skirmishing, I certainly don't have any strange ideas about "milsim am bestest" or anything like that, it's the style of game I enjoy, that's as far as it goes. I don't want to see milsim replace skirmishing I would just like to see proportionate representation for milsimmers in terms of games, however, with such small numbers, perhaps milsimmers are already well catered for and I'm just deluded in thinking that we could squeeze something more regular out of the community. Time will tell, and sure in the mean time I offer my services to muck in and help* in whatever way I can.

*offer of help includes actual practical help as well as typing away on boards like someone who knows something about something or other, although my main skills may be in the latter...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

I've been following this with some interest & decided to through in my 2d worth.

From highcap/hoddie (we all started somewhere) to milsim is a steep learning curve, when I started playing less than 2 years ago going through a bottle of bb's a day was the mark of a good game now it's taking the LZ in Red Barn using 1 midcap.

I think including a limited ammo game in a normal days skirmish is the best way to show people that there are other ways to play the game. We need to learn to walk before we can run.

As to the highcap/midcap debate I think it has more to do with the attitude of the player than what they use, personaly I just prefer midcaps (don't have to keep remembering to wind). If playing milsim I would like to go down the realcap route.

Been some mention of setting up members only milsim clubs, whilst at first glance this seems like milsim heaven it just creates a closed shop cutting off new blood from the experience. A dedicated milsim site may well be a viable long term option but only if it is open to new payers wishing to join in the experience & keep it going.

At the moment the best route to a viable milsim scene would be by working with current sites owners maybe on a rotating basis (1 Saturday every other month?). I think this is more a case of getting them to agree with each other who does what when rather than IF as all that I have met are mainly in it for the sport.

I think it is certainly worth having a central point of info for milsim events as a lot goes on at various sites that is not widely publicised unless you read their thread or are a regular there, so best of luck Shane keep us posted.

Hi Lads,

What if you had a dedicated Milsim Club tread here, (ha ha I can hear the mods cursing me) but in conjunction with a members club it could provide info on set basic milsim rules,(that way it would negate site to site differences) updates regarding organised games and general chat area, you could have a committee keeping it updated. Plus depending on who would be voted in as the club committee, they could liaise with existing site owners to establish games. (one or two points of contact)

I think a Milsim tread with reference information and other updates would go a long way to enlightening people wanting to understand the concept better and negate the arguments regarding mid v high and the likes.

People could also submit short story lines as concepts for games etc. and we could update it regarding games people took part in abroad and different rules and ideas they came across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I think a Milsim tread with reference information and other updates would go a long way to enlightening people wanting to understand the concept better and negate the arguments regarding mid v high and the likes.

People could also submit short story lines as concepts for games etc. and we could update it regarding games people took part in abroad and different rules and ideas they came across.

Airsoft (for me) is a hobby not a sport and milsim is at the forefront of it. When skirmishing you are still taking part in some form of milsim. They may not have ammo limits or organised command structures but they do have an objective in every game even if it’s to kill the opposition and wear military gear for the most part. People who want more of a challange or want to emulate the military further, which is what we are all doing any way, look towards milsim or at the very least find themselves moving ever closer to it. They buy radios, form teams with command elements and change loadouts to suit the scenario.

I like the milsim area idea however I would expect and like to see it heavily modded. All the bull that’s gets said in any milsim thread here is very off putting for anyone thinking of taking part in an event.

The advantage of a milsim club is you’d be sure of the numbers willing to take part in an event at a particular site and could take deposits. No site owner should have to take a risk closing their site to regulars to host an event without guaranteeing numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Well put Guy.

Having the choice to play how you want (be it skirmish or milsim games) would be a great start. If that's the least that comes of this, ie having viable choice whenever you decide to head out for a weekend, then I reckon it'll have been worth kicking this off - and thanks again to Shane for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

The advantage of a milsim club is you’d be sure of the numbers willing to take part in an event at a particular site and could take deposits. No site owner should have to take a risk closing their site to regulars to host an event without guaranteeing numbers.

I have bother closing the site on a Saturday or Sunday, the only thing i find is getting people to sign up that there coming, so you know you have numbers to run the mil-sim game, and if people will fill in rolls as needed, the player sign up is for planing the event, so i would like to see people signing up, and i hate to ask, but i did see a post in here, were people would pay more for this, so this got me thinking, would people pay more, as it would mean i could lay on some battle Sim pyro's, as i think it could add alot to a mil-sim game.

Have to agree it is extremely difficult to plan a game to the level some more experienced players would like to expect when you don't have any idea how many are attending but then as I said before I think the team captains should be able to rectify this issue very easily.

That's why the command structure is such a success in Sennybridge because everyone is signed in well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

hrta wrote: »
    I have bother closing the site on a Saturday or Sunday, the only thing i find is getting people to sign up that there coming, so you know you have numbers to run the mil-sim game, and if people will fill in rolls as needed, the player sign up is for planing the event, so i would like to see people signing up, and i hate to ask, but i did see a post in here, were people would pay more for this, so this got me thinking, would people pay more, as it would mean i could lay on some battle Sim pyro's, as i think it could add alot to a mil-sim game.

I don't have the money to get out skirmishing much anymore, it's gotten to be like once a month or once every two months, there's nothing worse than getting out for your bi-monthly game and not having a good day. If I had to pay a bit extra for awesome things like battle sim pyros and a milsim ruleset/storyline then I'd do it gladly. I enjoy milsim more than skirmishing so if there was more milsim games I'd make more of an effort to get out gaming, regardless of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭-=AIR=-

25 euro killing all mil sim games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Sorry for the delay on this, but it was my birthday weekend and I was up to my eyes in games and booze and roast chickens and Sean Bean movies.

There's been enough interest in this that a discussion forum seems to be the way to go for the time being. The intention is that as well as discussing games and related stuff in general, we'll be able to focus on creating a standard set of rules as appropriate, getting groups together who'd like to create a game and make it happen, throw out ideas, ask for help, announce upcoming games and so on and so on.

I think an independent identity rather than being a sub-section of an existing forum is the best way to go because it means there's less baggage going in.

So, the forum is at:
    http://forum.milsimdublin.net/

Let anybody you think might be interested know about it.

Anyone who's got a milsim game coming up, and it doesn't matter where, feel free to announce it in the appropriate part of the forum. That's not a licence for free advertising, just an invitation to get relevant information to the people who want to hear it.

(by the way, I haven't been able to find anything in the Boards rules prohibiting a post like this, but if it is against the rules please delete it and I'm sorry!)

hrta wrote: »
    would people pay more, as it would mean i could lay on some battle Sim pyro's, as i think it could add alot to a mil-sim game.

With apologies to Joyce, yes, I said yes, I will Yes!

I know as a person with a job I can't speak for everyone, but for a good day out I wouldn't mind subsidising others play, especially when there is a bang for the buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

This is a reminder to anyone who might be interested to have a gander at the MilSim Dublin forum. We've got plans for upcoming games, development of scenarios and rules, and general discussion on milsim-related topics. There's also a couple of projects in the works which we'll be launching soon. Have a look if you're interested in milsim games, especially if you're around Dublin!

Have a look if you're interested in milsim games, especially if you're around Dublin!

I would add that you don't have to be from Dublin. Most of the discussions are not necessarily Dublin related. :)

Advertisement