Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2 - Graphics Problem

Options
  • 16-08-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought Far Cry 2 for PC. I read the case to make sure that I had all the right hardware to play it properly. My computer is relatively new (i.e. built several months after this game was released) and I'm still having trouble with it.

It loads up fine but it skips, freezes and skips all the time. I've tried playing it like this and it only leads to a headache! I'd fire a gun and 3 seconds after I've clicked the mouse button, the gun fires in the game.

Any ideas? The most obvious to me is the processor and/or graphics card but to the best of my knowledge they should be more than able to cope.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm. If you've checked everything else (hardware/graphics card), I'd suggest downloading and installing this.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

It's currently helping me run Doom 3 on my sh*tty six year old PC! :pac:

EDIT: Don't watch the video. It's painful! :D

Done what seems to be by a ten year old. But when you install it be sure to hit "configure" beside the "Switch to Gaming Mode" button and stop any other processes that are running. E.G. printer software, java updater (jusched.exe). The only process I don't stop is my anti virus........Cos I'm cautious like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Post your PC specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Try this site to see if your computer is up to the task. It might point out if you've any problems: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Also, have you tried playing around with the video settings in the graphics menu? There could be one little setting that's causing the problem. It could be anything like anti-aliasing or light bloom or anything like that. Just play around and you might find a freeze free setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

humanji wrote: »
    Try this site to see if your computer is up to the task. It might point out if you've any problems: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Also, have you tried playing around with the video settings in the graphics menu? There could be one little setting that's causing the problem. It could be anything like anti-aliasing or light bloom or anything like that. Just play around and you might find a freeze free setup.

Thanks for that. I ran that test and it turns out my CPU isn't up to scratch :( So much for knowing what I have in m PC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There still might be ways to run it. I'm no expert on these things, but as I said playing around with the graphics settings in-game might help.

• Advertisement

I lowered the resolution as you suggested. It's not as bad as it was, it's playable but the graphics aren't great! Oh well, I'll just get a new CPU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are your specs? I seriously doubt it's your CPU, mostly likely your video card. System Requirement Labs is a load of crap in my opinion, often basing its analysis solely on things like vram which means nothing. What's probably happened, is that if the game requires a 2.8 or 3Ghz Pentium 4 as a minimum, it's reading your later-gen CPU as being slower, even though any modern dual core CPU at 1.8Ghz+ is much faster than the old processors. If you bought it somewhere like PC World, what's most definitely the problem is a lackluster video card. 95% of machines purchased there feature basic video cards designed only for HD playback and the like, not games.

What are your specs? I seriously doubt it's your CPU, mostly likely your video card. System Requirement Labs is a load of crap in my opinion, often basing its analysis solely on things like vram which means nothing. What's probably happened, is that if the game requires a 2.8 or 3Ghz Pentium 4 as a minimum, it's reading your later-gen CPU as being slower, even though any modern dual core CPU at 1.8Ghz+ is much faster than the old processors. If you bought it somewhere like PC World, what's most definitely the problem is a lackluster video card. 95% of machines purchased there feature basic video cards designed only for HD playback and the like, not games.

Yeah it requires a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz or something like that. Also an NVIDIA GeForce 6300 and mine is a Geforce 7600. I'm not sure of those figures but it's something like that.

Didn't buy it from PC World, got all the parts and built it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are your specs then? Sorry, didn't realize you built it yourself.

Start->Control Panel->System. That'll tell you the amount of ram and the processor type and speed....

7600 is a very old card at this stage, so every chance that's the bottleneck.

Advertisement