Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fossils from boyle co. Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Hi,

I am not an expert but I think image 5 = a type of tabulate coral eg Heliophyllum???
    I havent really looked at the rest of it - I will...it is hard to see the pic but great stuff you have here!

Good luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd agree, some tabulate corals, maybe lithostrotion, some rugose solitary corals, caninia,(image 5/6) some byrozoans(4) Brachiopod(9/10). An interesting structure in the middle of image 12. Very large. Dunno what that could be?? :confused: Maybe a better pic of that?

All lower carboniferous limestone death assemblages. I say that as they appear to be broken up by ancient wave action as opposed to dying and being preserved where they lived. Hard to tell though. Good stuff :) Keep looking and thanks for the pics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jimmyhamster

Thanks for the info guys and sorry about the pic size.
    heres a link to the original size photos which show great detail
    http://db.tt/sIh11c
    just googled lower carboniferous period and that would mean that the contents of these rocks im cracking open are approx 360 million years old
    and I have the whole shoreline out my back garden by the looks of things
    (Think ive found a new Hobby)

Advertisement