Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsense alternative?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Does anyone know of an adsense alternative that does text link ads?

Im aware adsense is by far the king of ads but is there any close competition that does text link ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

tc2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an adsense alternative that does text link ads?
    There are numerous competitors out there, but none that you would describe as 'close competition'. Google AdWords/AdSense is the clear market leader.

Are you looking at alternatives as a means of marketing your product(s) or as an alternative means of revenue for you (e.g. you hosting the ads)?

Many have found that the popularity of AdWords has caused problems for them, due to the increased competition for keywords. As the competition increases, so does the cost per click (CPC) and the ability of an advertiser to achieve a return on investment for their campaigns. The obvious solution here is to try switching to other providers, but there are big flaws here too.

Due to the market share google hold, they provide huge volume. Once you start looking at the smaller alternatives, you're really aiming at significantly smaller markets (ranging from Microsoft AdCenter [the marketing side of the Yahoo/Bing merger] to the small niche providers). By the time you've invested the time and resources to learn, set up and manage the smaller volume campaigns (more than likely requiring you to use a number of different providers in order to achieve a decent volume of traffic), it's potentially costing you more than it's 'saving'.

It's also worth being aware that as you move away from the 'bigger players', there can (or will) be notable drops in the conversion rates you receive. This could be due to the sites on these networks simply sending the wrong traffic, or due to less monitoring of click fraud. So you end up receiving a high volume of very cheap (relatively speaking) clicks... but none of which convert.

If you're looking for an alternative to AdSense on your site, the obvious question is 'why?'. Having the largest volume, there is the largest potential for you as a host for the ads. There are alternatives, but there's a reason why google's content network has the widest reach and most coverage.

If you're looking for alternative platforms to advertise on (and to achieve cheaper clicks), take a little more care. It's very easy to end up paying pennies and thinking you're getting great value... for clicks that give zero results. By combining your highest performing campaigns from adwords, facebook, Yahoo/Bing, LinkedIn, etc. you should be able to avoid any campaigns not providing a ROI but still sticking with 'reputable' providers who provide high quality (as well as decent quantity) traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Ill be hosting the ads. Ive looked into Microsoft but it seems you have to live in the UK, US or a few others. Not Ireland

Cant find a way to sign up to Yahoo

Adbrite for some reason wont show ads. Keeps on saying "your ad here" which is strange because its a fairly high earning site with adsense

What i really need is a text link ad. The vacant space on the site will only allow this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I'm half asleep this morning - didn't read the title properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cojones

Heh, you could sign up to affiliate programmes relevant to the people/audience on your website. In Ireland it's Tradedoubler, in the UK there are many including ones who represent loads of Brands eg Webgains, to the brands themselves who have their own affiliate programmes eg ASOS.
    You can host text ads, banner ads with images and relevant, changing creatives and promotions, to embedded text links within your editorial.
    It doesnt cost to sign up to them, you just have to be accepted by them,fill out a form etc and they get back to you quickly enough.
    hope his helps

Ive looked into Microsoft but it seems you have to live in the UK, US or a few others. Not Ireland
    I wasn't aware it was available even in the UK to be honest. The pubCentre information still suggests it's only available to US based publishers.
    Do I have to be a U.S. citizen?During the pilot, yes, you must be a U.S. citizen. Your business must also be headquartered in the U.S., and this information must match information on file with the IRS.
    Cant find a way to sign up to Yahoo
    The Bing/Yahoo search alliance means that it's now basically Microsoft/Bing that will be serving ads on the Yahoo pages in any case. Prior to the alliance, Yahoo had closed their own small publisher offering (they retained the large publishers) in April of this year.

At the time of closing, Yahoo suggested the use of Chitika as an alternative means of revenue for publishers (I've never used it personally, but it normally gets mentioned in along with the best 'alternatives' so might be an option to look at).
    Adbrite for some reason wont show ads. Keeps on saying "your ad here" which is strange because its a fairly high earning site with adsense
    Have you adjusted your settings to 'auto accept every ad' and set your rates at a realistic level?

Given that you're limited in the type of ads available (e.g. not the standard formats), you're targeting an Irish market (most of their advertisers are US based), then the ad rates you're looking for would have to be set at a competitive price so as not to reduce your potential ad pool to zero.

Also worth checking that your 'zone' is in keeping with their guidelines. If I remember correctly, they have requirements on how close the ad is placed to an image and things like that.

I've previously come across some positive feedback on http://ie.netklix.com/publishers/ and http://www.text-link-ads.com/. I've never used them so can't comment on the service, but a couple more to look at as options which might suit your needs.

• Advertisement

Ive had Adbrite on the site before. Site was approved etc.. I replaced with adsense on one section of site as a trial then when i went back it kept saying "your ad here". A/C is still verified etc..

Never changed any settings with $ or acceptance of ads

Ill give those last sites you mentioned a trial run and see what happens

Not a big deal as its only a small part of the site that text links fit in nicely. Makes a couple of euro a day is all

Cheers for the info

Ill give those last sites you mentioned a trial run and see what happens
    Be sure to do a little research on them first, I just happened to have bookmarked both for review later after coming across positive comments in the past (still not got around to reviewing them to be honest). I've no experience with either and can't comment on the standard/quality/trustworthiness of either. Hopefully someone else who has used them (or others) can give a little more insight.
    Not a big deal as its only a small part of the site that text links fit in nicely. Makes a couple of euro a day is all
    As long as it's fitting in nicely with the existing site, not interfering with the appearance/quality of your site... any additional revenue is a bonus. Hope it works out.

Right so ive tested them both and heres what i think

http://ie.netklix.com/publishers/

Possibly the most user friendly ads site iver ever used. So easy to set up ads. far better design than adsense even BUT i placed ads on a spot that was getting 20-30 clicks a day from adsense and there reports are saying im getting no clicks :confused: Maybe its a scam i dont know. Ads are all the same dimension as adsense and basically look exactly the same apart from the ads by google. Not even one click in a few days :confused:
    Reports are updated near real-time. During busy periods there may be a delay of up to 30 minutes.

Not true. waited over 2 days and nothing

http://www.text-link-ads.com/

Worst ads site ive ever seen. Why cant they just make ads that can adapt easy to a site. After setting up ads they took 24 hours to appear. lost patience and money long before that

Hope this helps someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Shaneod21

I only use adsense but I know people who use adbrite with mediocre results.

CPC is much higher in google adsense. Not sure why your not using adsense, however if its because you were banned I would just start advertising amazon if your targeting product keywords. Use adsense! I sold a site recently for over $32k earning solely from google adsense. If I had been using adbrite I probably wouldn't have made even half of that!

Shaneod21 wrote: »
    I only use adsense but I know people who use adbrite with mediocre results.

CPC is much higher in google adsense. Not sure why your not using adsense, however if its because you were banned I would just start advertising amazon if your targeting product keywords. Use adsense! I sold a site recently for over $32k earning solely from google adsense. If I had been using adbrite I probably wouldn't have made even half of that!

Adsense only allow 3 ads on each page. I have a small but profitable spot that can fit a small text ad

800 euro a year for finding a CPC that shows text ads similar to Adsense.
    Amazon ads are way to big to fit in where i want

edit - Actually ive never used Amazon affiliates so thats just an assumption

Can they provide small links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 samly

How about Reachjunction? I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Ive tried most of the above..

ALL are ****e - Except for chitika, but doesnt have the range of adds to serve every platform. For Example : I ran a Pet niche product website, that had google adsense adds and i would swop it out to gauge my clickthrough rate.
    It bombed with the others and did poor with chitika, they didnt have my product in their database.

As above, i had a "Your ad Here" Symbol in some of my pages which was very frustrating.
    Although i would give it a close second it's years behind adsense with clickthrough fraud and decent payouts and unless your banned adsense is from what i see the only way forward !

Best of luck dude

• Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

you will not find much ad networks which pays as much as adsense it's not because they are bad but adsense has large advertising inventrory that makes them better but you can try ad networks like chitika they pay pretty much decent per click but if you are comfortable with banner ads you can go with buysellads i think they are something head head competitor.

Advertisement