Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age does a RB Puppy have to wear a muzzle from ? By Law?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Just wondering what age by law RB's have to start wearing muzzles? We where at a dog walk on sunday and we had wardens & garda follow us all around the park! They asked two owners of 14wk old puppys to muzzle their puppys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, RBs have to be muzzled in public regardless of age. I used to think it was only after they were 6 months old but after scouring the net and reading through the whole C.O.D Act, there is actually no age definition so technically the warden and the fuzz were within their rights to ask those people to muzzle their pups but FFS youd think they'd have a bit of cop on, what possible damage could a 14 week old puppy do. It's pathetic IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

thanks you. Apparently someone spread a rumour that we where holding a protest against muzzles:confused:. So they where 3 garda cars a garda van , the star news paper! and two dog wardens one who drove behind us in a van and one who walked with us. I mean we where meeting up to have our first pack walk.
    The muzzles nearlyf fitted there whole bodys FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

TaraR wrote: »
    thanks you. Apparently someone spread a rumour that we where holding a protest against muzzles:confused:. So they where 3 garda cars a garda van , the star news paper! and two dog wardens one who drove behind us in a van and one who walked with us. I mean we where meeting up to have our first pack walk.

A protest against muzzles, that's gas! 3 Garda cars and a van - glad to hear that we are all safe from those vicious little puppies :pac:

It really was unbelievable. Someone playing a stupid game wasting The Gardai's time and the dog wardens and the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

where was the walk on Tara?

• Advertisement

antomagoo wrote: »
    where was the walk on Tara?

In Santry Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's just crazy . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

the star news paper!

This may explain the belief that it was a protest against muzzles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

In Santry Park

Happened to me there too, I had my bull terrier without a muzzle, she was 3 months old at the time. A woman reported me to the guards who arrived over to have a chat, in fairness to the guard he was very nice about it and knew the exact breed. All the dog wanted to do is lick the hands off him :D

The walk was organised last monday. The Dog warden and the garda where told on thursday.. Who told the paper? Well we just dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just wondering what age by law RB's have to start wearing muzzles? We where at a dog walk on sunday and we had wardens & garda follow us all around the park! They asked two owners of 14wk old puppys to muzzle their puppys!

Yes of course to protect the kids from the evil puppys, thought everyone knew that puppy's are all evil and out to lick your hands and face off, they especially love kid flavoured hands and faces. :D On a more serious note Im shocked. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Yes of course to protect the kids from the evil puppys, thought everyone knew that puppy's are all evil and out to lick your hands and face off, they especially love kid flavoured hands and faces. :D On a more serious note Im shocked. :eek:

Unfortuneatly its the type of dog you have that bothers people (who mostly are parents or elderly) , how many times have we turned on the news, opened the paper to hear about a kid been torn to pieces by a RB dog...I recently reported a guy in galway near the Huntsman pub, who's RB was un-muzzled and trying to attack an old persons dog....the tool was laughing at it too:confused:

What in all honesty are 14wk old puppies going to do?..
    As we where standing there a little toybreed dog came running over barking off-leash and its owner shouting and screaming behind it :rolleyes: and the dog warden just stood there and looked :rolleyes:. What are we not allowed to have socializing pack walks because we own Pitbulls and Staffys? Are we Going to be followed around every time we organize a walk?!!
    The garda told us that people where 'running for there lives' ? Are we walking lions or something? They are dogs!Just like every other dog wither its a small fluffy little thing or a big dog..

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Doom wrote: »
    Unfortuneatly its the type of dog you have that bothers people (who mostly are parents or elderly) , how many times have we turned on the news, opened the paper to hear about a kid been torn to pieces by a RB dog...I recently reported a guy in galway near the Huntsman pub, who's RB was un-muzzled and trying to attack an old persons dog....the tool was laughing at it too:confused:

*sigh* here we go with this crap again. Should I be surprised that it happened on a thread about puppies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭D4NI3L88

As we where standing there a little toybreed dog came running over barking off-leash and its owner shouting and screaming behind it :rolleyes: and the dog warden just stood there and looked :rolleyes:. What are we not allowed to have socializing pack walks because we own Pitbulls and Staffys? Are we Going to be followed around every time we organize a walk?!!
    The garda told us that people where 'running for there lives' ? Are we walking lions or something? They are dogs!Just like every other dog wither its a small fluffy little thing or a big dog..

Been there too. I had Gardai at the door over mine not being muzzled and while I was talking to the garda outside my garden a staffxpit walks past no lead muzzle and they just said well there not the ones who were reported, another time my brother was walking our dog and he was attacked 3 time on 1 walk by the same dog a beagle in our estate who was being walked off lead and the owner couldn't use a little common sense and put there dog on a lead the first time and my dogs now got issues and pull towards other dogs and barks but is getting better since he gets walked with a friend Rottweiler and his neighbours greyhound x both bitches but he was always with another neighbours bulldog too until he passed away recently. I was walking my dog around my town a few weeks ago and a big Siberian Husky came out of nowhere and tried to grab my dog by the face and this at 1230 @ night and I saw a garda car reported it anyway and the same husky was found running around the town by my brother & neighbour and he brought it straight to the garda station and it was picked up a few days later and not even a thanks from the owners. Sorry about the rant.

Ah FFS, do you people live in a bubble or do you actually make an effort NOT to read the hundreds of threads before this one where some tool comes on and says something daft like this which is subsequently followed by dozens of replies by people defending these breeds. Why dont you try reading these threads before you post up again...

Keep your dogs, pups muzzled as the law requires.....and people will not report you, no need for a thread giving out that you got reported to Gardai ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Keep your dogs, pups muzzled as the law requires.....and people will not report you, no need for a thread giving out that you got reported to Gardai ;):D

Keep your ignorance and bias away from my dog and there would be no such law in the first place;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you would have thought they would have fined you or whatever for not having the muzzle rather than just follow you. Seems a bit pointless otherwise.

(I'm not saying you should be fined, just that why did they go to all the trouble and not do it if you get my meaning)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

The reason you see stories about RB's attacking are because the papers like to make them out as monsters. When anyone gets attacked by any other breed the papers arent interested. Egar had a great story up a while ago after a dog attack. papers were interested as they assumed it had to be a RB. When they found out it was a spaniel they had no interest in running the story.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lrushe wrote: »
    Keep your ignorance and bias away from my dog and there would be no such law in the first place;):D

Laws are needed because of people like you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Tara, perhaps someone was jealous that you were doing a walk ;) - one never has to look very far for such people.

And to no one in particular on this thread :D:
    How difficult it is to save the bark of reputation from the rocks of ignorance.
    Petrarch

EGAR wrote: »
    Tara, perhaps someone was jealous that you were doing a walk ;) - one never has to look very far for such people.

And to no one in particular on this thread :D:

Definitely ;):rolleyes:

I am not giving out about pups having to wear a muzzle! That is the law (iknownow). I am ranting about someone to has nothing better to do with their time making a scene and wasting the Gardai's the dog wardens and the papers time and making us look like we where walking a pack of lions that we had to be followed around a park!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

making us look like we where walking a pack of lions that we had to be followed around a park!!

any laws for muzzling cats? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Do elaborate????????????????

People like you are why need to implement some sort of education system about dog breeds and dog care

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

In fairness a barking toy breed is not exactly a danger to anything other than your ears. I hate that law though. The law should state that any dog of any breed should be muzzled if it once bites a person or another dog but harmless dogs shouldn't be punished for the sins of the few. It's like blaming all Muslims for the actions of Al Quaida! If they could introduce an amendment which allowed for RBs to pass a professional temperament test and then be exempt from the muzzle requirement it would be a good compromise I reckon. They do differ so much just like people. My rottie cross is a scary cat who wouldn't harm a fly but just yesterday we passed another dog owner struggling to contain a rottie which was in classic attack mode- all slavering ravening beast!

imokyrok wrote: »
    In fairness a barking toy breed is not exactly a danger to anything other than your ears.

What i meant was that the dog warden seen this dog come running over barking and said nothing to its owner. He then denied it when a member of the walk said it him. He said that he didnt see any dog! Even though the dog was in clear view of him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

imokyrok wrote: »
    In fairness a barking toy breed is not exactly a danger to anything other than your ears. I hate that law though. The law should state that any dog of any breed should be muzzled if it once bites a person or another dog but harmless dogs shouldn't be punished for the sins of the few. It's like blaming all Muslims for the actions of Al Quaida! If they could introduce an amendment which allowed for RBs to pass a professional temperament test and then be exempt from the muzzle requirement it would be a good compromise I reckon. They do differ so much just like people. My rottie cross is a scary cat who wouldn't harm a fly but just yesterday we passed another dog owner struggling to contain a rottie which was in classic attack mode- all slavering ravening beast!

Which is exactly the attitude that results in completely out of control and snappy small dogs. Small dogs should have the same rules applied to them and the same level of training as bigger dogs. A toy dog can still do a considerable amount of damage to an adult (I have seen pics where a pug attached itself to a woman's leg through a pair of thick jeans) and unspeakable amount of damage to a child.

I agree with the rest of your post although I can't see how it would work, it would still be considered bsl and there would still be breeds that the problem owners could move onto. For example apply the idea to current RBs, what happens when the hooligans and scumbags move onto another breed like the boxer, add the boxer to the list and they will pick another breed until all breeds will eventually be RBs.

Advertisement