Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fie sharing and security

• 16-08-2010 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

If you are downloading from a torrent and it is uploading too is that a risk to the pc security? Could it be uploading any thing private? To upload does it have access to the disk?can you turn off uploading or limit it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Install this, http://www.peerblock.com/. Also yes you can limit the upload speed. Depends on the software. But if it's uTorrent (most popular). Just go in to the download settings and there should be an option to enter a value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

chin_grin wrote: »
    Install this, http://www.peerblock.com/. Also yes you can limit the upload speed. Depends on the software. But if it's uTorrent (most popular). Just go in to the download settings and there should be an option to enter a value.
    Thanks for reply It is utorrent. can i stop the upload from it. It is very very slow today giving an ETA of a day for a 15 MB file.

I do not understand why it has port forwarding on it as i only want the file on one pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Port forwarding? I don't think you need to go that far just to stop uploading. I mean in uTorrent if you go to Settings and Download. There should be an option for "Upload Rate". Put that to 0. Although, kinda defeats the purpose of bittorrent! :pac:

EDIT: Just found this if you want to give it a quick read, http://torrentfreak.com/bitthief-downloads-torrents-without-uploading/

[QUOTE=chin_grin;67483444]Port forwarding? I don't think you need to go that far just to stop uploading. I mean in uTorrent if you go to Settings and Download. There should be an option for "Upload Rate". Put that to 0. Although, kinda defeats the purpose of bittorrent! :pac:[/quote]you cannot put to zero just to 1 kb;) re port forwarding there is a yellow triangle that appears if network not right. And i just wondered if that is ciusing slow speed. Test says port not open but I can still download
    EDIT: Just found this if you want to give it a quick read, http://torrentfreak.com/bitthief-downloads-torrents-without-uploading/
    ok many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You upload or download, and others on that torrent can see your IP address.

Peerblock just blocks known "bad" IP address from seeing your IP address. A "bad" IP addres would be one owned by the RIAA, etc.

And yeah, you can put upload to zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But pertinent to the original question there shouldn't be an issue where it's snooping your hard drive and looking for and uploading files that aren't part of the torrent. You can restrict the potential for this behavior with firewalls and port forwarding, but a good antivirus would be able to detect anything etchy like that.

the_syco wrote: »
    You upload or download, and others on that torrent can see your IP address.

Peerblock just blocks known "bad" IP address from seeing your IP address. A "bad" IP addres would be one owned by the RIAA, etc.

And yeah, you can put upload to zero.
    i do not see wher to put upload to zero ony to 1 kb. how do i set to zero when there is not a zero option? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

In Options->Preferences->Bandwidth (for uTorrent) you can set the upload speed, but if you choose 0, it means unlimited. The torrent client will only upload the files of the torrents you are downloading, so as long as you are not getting dodgy software torrents there aren't any great security implications, unless maybe the Eircom/IRMA issue.

Its considered nice to let the torrents 'seed' when they are complete until the up/down ratio gets to at least 1.0, then the torrent does not die due to nobody having it complete to seed. I leave that to your judgement etc.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    In Options->Preferences->Bandwidth (for uTorrent) you can set the upload speed, but if you choose 0, it means unlimited. The torrent client will only upload the files of the torrents you are downloading, so as long as you are not getting dodgy software torrents there aren't any great security implications, unless maybe the Eircom/IRMA issue.
    Oh I see I thought zero meant none i.e no upload:o

No it is not dodgy software. i am not aware of eircom IRMA but I know pirate bay was blocked by eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I thinkif you set max upload slots to zero, you get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

The reason torrents work is because the file is been uploaded while its been downloaded.

You can slow down the uploading but this in turns slows the download speed.
    If you are downloading from a torrent and it is uploading too is that a risk to the pc security? Could it be uploading any thing private? To upload does it have access to the disk?can you turn off uploading or limit it?

No. No. Yes. No. Yes :)

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    No. No. Yes. No. Yes :)
    :).:).:),:).:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

your best bet with torrents is to have a good antivirus & firewall running, read the torrent descriptors and comments left by others before downloading, and try to seed some of it back up as this is how the torrent stays alive.

if you have the option to look at the torrent contents (i.e. not a rar/zip file) then unselect anything you know is not needed such as cover images/html files etc.

once you have the file downloaded do a scan on it. keep your AV software up to date.

thepiratebay can be accessed through a simple proxy like vtunnel (just google proxy)

Advertisement