Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guardsman saved by Rosary Beads

• 16-08-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/836927-afghan-soldier-saved-from-bomb-blast-by-blessed-rosary-beads

Amazing coincidence

Guardsman Glenn Hockton was on tour with the Coldstream Guards in Helmand Province when he felt something brush his neck and realised his rosary beads had fallen off.
    As he looked for them, he saw an improvised explosive device at his feet. ‘I could see a strip of metal and I realised it was an IED between my feet,’ said the 19-year-old, now back from tour.
    ‘I was in a state of shock. I got on my knees and brushed away the sand with a brush I use to clean my rifle and I saw a little bit more metal. If it hadn’t been for my beads coming off, I would have stepped on it.
    ‘I realised there was someone watching over me. I wanted the rosary beads like my great-grandfather and I thank God I had them,’ he added.
    Sixty-five years earlier, Guardsman Hockton’s great-grandfather, Pte Joseph ‘Sunny’ Truman, was a prisoner of war being marched away from the Allies when his moment of divine intervention happened.
    Pte Truman, who was serving with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, went to pick up a rosary lying on the ground just as a bomb exploded, killing six members of his platoon.
    Guardsman Hockton’s mother, Sheri Jones, said he took the rosary to Afghanistan knowing one had saved his great-grandfather. ‘My mum bought him one and got it blessed,’ said the 41-year-old from Tye Green,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭paddycam

that's one more item to bring on tour:rolleyes:

Advertisement