Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convince me !!

• 16-08-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Right, so I went to look at a bike at the weekend.
    2003 Fazer 600 (FZS). Only 6400 miles (backed up by MOTs...it's in NI). New rear tyre, hugger, lower fairings, crash bungs, anodised pegs, new gel battery, centrestand, oxford cover.
    It's got a small crack (about an inch long) in the upper fairing where it fell while stationary. It seems like it was lowered but the owner doesn't know.
    It's unrestricted and I'm on a provo. This will be my first bike.
    The price is stg£2k. I'm a little nervous about going for a Fazer due to the R6 engine lurking underneath.
    I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but how are these things to live with and how much of a bargain is it if everything turns out to be kosher ?

Having read that, I think I'm looking for someone to convince me to go for it and feck the doubts, but there ya go !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pique wrote: »
    Right, so I went to look at a bike at the weekend.
    2003 Fazer 600 (FZS). Only 6400 miles (backed up by MOTs...it's in NI). New rear tyre, hugger, lower fairings, crash bungs, anodised pegs, new gel battery, centrestand, oxford cover.
    It's got a small crack (about an inch long) in the upper fairing where it fell while stationary. It seems like it was lowered but the owner doesn't know.
    It's unrestricted and I'm on a provo. This will be my first bike.
    The price is stg£2k. I'm a little nervous about going for a Fazer due to the R6 engine lurking underneath.
    I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but how are these things to live with and how much of a bargain is it if everything turns out to be kosher ?

Having read that, I think I'm looking for someone to convince me to go for it and feck the doubts, but there ya go !

Your going to need to restrict it to be legal so the R6 engine won't be that big an issue.

Go for it, you know you want to:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Unrestricted on prov. licence? How does that work? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

They say it's the R6 engine but mostly it's just the R6 engine block. A lot of the other parts are different.

It's a nice bike I liked the 2 I had prior to my current. Handles well for street riding. Comfortable, I did trips from Dub to Galway and Wexford no problem at all. Though Galway left me a little saddle sore. The two of them were my commuting bike for over 3 years.

As a first bike you couldn't ask for more. Book the test early though to start the 2 year countdown as you may/will get bored with the power restriction by then.

As for the price versus the condition and mileage do you have biker friends who can check the bike with you? If you can try to have someone you trust and who knows their stuff give it the once over before handing over the readies. There's a few websites out there that give good checklists for buying privately in case you need to do it by yourself. 2k seems okay for the mileage, optional extras and damage described.

-Former Fazer 600 owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Unrestricted on prov. licence? How does that work? :confused:

Yeah I know they don't go together but I mentioned it as a matter of fact. It's also to hint at the extra cost of restriction. That's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pique wrote: »
    Yeah I know they don't go together but I mentioned it as a matter of fact. It's also to hint at the extra cost of restriction. That's all.

Fair enough.

Wouldn't worry about it, in the not too distant future I'll be restricting either an R6 or a Firestorm :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Go for it mate.

I started on a restricted bandit 600- I was never able to figure out why I waited so long.

Restriction will be less than €300 all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Wouldn't worry about it, in the not too distant future I'll be restricting either an R6 or a Firestorm :o

Or a monster ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I've a fazer 600 restricted myself, have to say it's pretty awesome alright, it's a '99 model. It's quick enough with the restrictor, was doing 100mph on the motorway today cause i was late for work. If i could start biking from the start again, i'd go for a fazer from the get-go.

It's cheap enough to run, and second hand parts are quite common. But don't drive at night, the lights on the fazer are like candles, fúckin useless things. Was out in the countryside sunday night, which was pitch black, the lights range is only aout 20-30 metres so you'll be moving at a snails pace.

But yeah, the prices seems average, mine was 2700 euro, with restrictor, 6 month warranty on parts with 21k miles on the clock. Have done about 7k miles since last september.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Also, ya should check under the fuel tank just next to the saddle, when i got mine the bottom was corroded with rust and it started leaking petrol, it was covered under the warranty and took the dealer months to replace, which was lame, so be sure to check under there, it's a thing older fazers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Could you not try and get one factory-restricted? Probably better for insurance and by the time you do your test and wait the two years, you'd probably be changing over to something else anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Go for it.They are a great bike,mine was 01 and never missed a beat other than for carb icing on cold mornings.Buut yours is the FI model so you're sound.And as said the dim light is pu:D.

Although I would check for insurance first with a restriction cert rather than a factory restricted as I've heard a few scare stories where people couldnt get it with an aftermarket restriction.

Enjoy it anyways.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

Factory restricted will get you cheaper insurance with aon. Something along the lines of this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1433839

Don't forget you'll have vrt if importing from the north

Advertisement