Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technically blind - Benefits?

• 16-08-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I suffer from a long term eye condition which has left me technically blind and in need of a corneal transplant in my left eye. I was just wondering as to what benefits, if any, I would qualify for?

What has me confused is that regarding my vision, I currently wear special contact lenses which enable me to see quite well...when I can wear them. As my eyes are very unstable, I am not able to rely on these in any way. I might be able to wear them one day for a few hours and be fine but the next day I might not be able to wear them at all. With my right contact lens I have good enough vision to be able to drive, but I am easily blinded by headlights due to my condition and I do not feel that it is safe to drive.

Now with my left eye, which requires a corneal transplant, I could be unable to wear a contact lens for the next 18+ months, once I have my operation. My vision in that eye during that period would be very unstable.

Ok so hopefully that clarifies my vision problem. Now I am currently a registered student undertaking a PhD with one year left to go. During the college year I work as a tutor (4-5 hrs a week), and get paid approx €860 a month during term. I should be ok to continue for the coming year as the college are quite understanding regarding my condition and I am able to manage.

I have been told that I might qualify for some benfits, including a bus pass and possibly disability benefit. I don't know anything about this kind of thing though, never claimed for anything before.

By the way, I am single and live at home with my parents (bah).

Just wondering what I might qualify for, if anything :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement