Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering her pee

Options
  • 16-08-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I often see dogs using their hind legs to kick up grass or whatever to cover where they've gone to the toilet and I know its got something to do with covering their scent so they cant be tracked down or something to that effect, right/wrong?

Anyway our girl has only just started doing in the last week, why would she all of a sudden start doing it? Not worried or anything just curious, is it something they do when they hit a certain age or any other plausible reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Our dog has started that recently too (3 year old pug). It's like he does a dance after a wee. It's feckin hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

One of my dogs does it too, but I don't think it's to cover the scent, cos she pees loads of times on every walk, I think she is marking her scent even though she's a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I assumed that dogs want to leave their scent behind after they pee'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 janvrin

Its a distance increasing behaviour. It is showing the other dogs in the area that they have marked that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I wouldve said the opposite..its spreading it rather than burying it. Who knows though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement