Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Mr. Fish

Options
  • 16-08-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I know that this might get moved to the animals forum, but I'm posting it here because it's more about literature than animals.

I like to give my pets names from a kind of scheme; my dogs are named after Doctor Who characters, and my fish were Misters: Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar.

Unfortunately Mr. Vandemar was found dead in his tank a few weeks ago, and had to be disposed of. I've been thinking of getting another fish, but I simply can't think of a name. I've decided to stick to literary Misters and am leaning toward either Mr. Pin or Mr. Tulip, but I'd like some more options.

So I'm looking for Mr. names. One will be picked based on coolness (of name and of character), and my personal feelings toward the literary work the name comes from (i.e. no fish of mine will be named after anyone from Harry Potter).

Please help, Mr. Croup is starting to look lonely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Meeester Bond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Mr DeWinter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I named my first cat Gulliver after the protagonist in Gulliver's Travels. I named my second cat Mishca. This was derived from the penguin character in Death and the Penguin (Misha), with a c stuck in because it's a cat.

If we're ever to get another cat, particularity female, I'd probably call it Marlow after the character in Joseph Conrad's book Heart of Darkness.

I also called one of the neighbour's cats Heathcliff, because he tried to woo his twin sister Mishca. I called another neighbouring cat Ayn Rand, because he* was clearly only motivated by self-interest, ie getting with Mishca.

As you can see, I have no job.

*I'm aware that Ayn Rand is female!

I named my first cat Gulliver after the protagonist in Gulliver's Travels. I named my second cat Mishca. This was derived from the penguin character in Death and the Penguin (Misha), with a c stuck in because it's a cat.

If we're ever to get another cat, particularity female, I'd probably call it Marlow after the character in Joseph Conrad's book Heart of Darkness.

I also called one of the neighbour's cats Heathcliff, because he tried to woo his twin sister Mishca. I called another neighbouring cat Ayn Rand, because he* was clearly only motivated by self-interest, ie getting with Mishca.

As you can see, I have no job.

He wants Mr. as in Mr. Chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yeah, I know. Sorry about that: I couldn't resist to urge to describe the literary names of all the cats out my back-garden.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know. Sorry about that: I couldn't resist to urge to describe the literary names of all the cats out my back-garden.

Ive nicknamed my son Stanley after Stanley Kowalski because he is so bossy.

If I had a dog, which Id love to have, I'd name him Paris, after the suitor Juliet rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Mr. M'Choakumchild! Okay, he is not cool, but I love how Dickens gave this sort of name to some characters. Had the concept of the 'MacGuffin' existed at the time, he might well have named a character Mr. MacGuffin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmVRI8Ptv4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Kinski wrote: »
    Mr. M'Choakumchild! Okay, he is not cool, but I love how Dickens gave this sort of name to some characters. Had the concept of the 'MacGuffin' existed at the time, he might well have named a character Mr. MacGuffin.

I loved Dickens' names - the sounds of the words were just perfect. Speaking of which...

There was a Mr Flay in Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast, which might work for you if Messrs Croup and Vandemar are anything to go by. (In the BBC's adaptation, he was played by Christopher Lee.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Mr Tickle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

My neighbour had a dog named Dickens. Considering he never read Dicken's books, I can only assume it was some kind of irony...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I loved Dickens' names - the sounds of the words were just perfect. Speaking of which...

There was a Mr Flay in Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast, which might work for you if Messrs Croup and Vandemar are anything to go by. (In the BBC's adaptation, he was played by Christopher Lee.)
    Oh! I think we have a winner! I'll be off looking for a fish that looks like a Mr. Flay this weekend. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And here is Mr. Croup, right, with his new friend Mr. Flay.

47003_426552504651_742404651_5033875_2870203_n.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement