Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's an odd one for the Canadian military historians.

• 16-08-2010 6:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to cull my garage and get rid of stuff, found an old book of mine I had forgotten I had. As I was flicking through, these photos caught my eye.

124318.JPG

So, who knows their Canadian history?

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I guess those fenian raids really made them jumpy, hey.

Serious answer - no idea what that was about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Montreal, Murray hill riot? The city has a history of riots, the last two were over ice hockey results. Looks like your photos are an army training exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I think there is an historical basis to this - in 1970 the British Trade Counsel in Montreal ( James Cross ) was kidnapped by Quebec seperatists (FLQ ) Front de Liberation du Quebec.
    The Canadian army was deployed into Quebec as part of a crackdown on the FLQ - this was NOT a declaration of martial law as has often been mis-stated.
    Note one of the above photos is described as showing troops engaged in anti-FLQ operations . This would suggest the photos are dated from Autumn 1970.
    The legislation used to authorise the military operations in and around Montreal was the War Measures Act and was invoked by then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Now that you mention it Delancey,I remember reading that in the book "Shake hands with the Devil" Hairy times it seemed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

delancey42 wrote: »
    I think there is an historical basis to this - in 1970 the British Trade Counsel in Montreal ( James Cross ) was kidnapped by Quebec seperatists (FLQ ) Front de Liberation du Quebec.
    The Canadian army was deployed into Quebec as part of a crackdown on the FLQ - this was NOT a declaration of martial law as has often been mis-stated.
    Note one of the above photos is described as showing troops engaged in anti-FLQ operations . This would suggest the photos are dated from Autumn 1970.
    The legislation used to authorise the military operations in and around Montreal was the War Measures Act and was invoked by then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.

You have hit the nail upon the head, exactement.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement