Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Ceremony For Civil Partnership: Yeah Or Nay?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

When Civil Partnership is implemented, will you want a big ceremony, marriage-style?
    Or will you prefer something small, maybe keeping the big gig for the real thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

or none at all? The law allows the option of none at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'll be planning a small civil ceremony with just family & close friends (god, giant wedding, bleuch! not my style- nor the gf's!) with some kind of handfasting element to it, and then a big ol knees up afterwards!

The great thing is no-one knows what these things are meant to look like, so you're pretty free and easy... can make it totally up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nelly1912

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    or none at all? The law allows the option of none at all

how do you mean? im quite stupid bear with me. do you mean that the civil partnership bill doesnt envolve any sort of gathering, is it just sign this stamp here kinda thing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

nelly1912 wrote: »
    how do you mean? im quite stupid bear with me. do you mean that the civil partnership bill doesnt envolve any sort of gathering, is it just sign this stamp here kinda thing? :confused:

You could just do the sign and stamp, so to speak, if that's what you want. It's all that's required.

How you celebrate is up to you. Pretty much the same with marriage, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Won't be getting married (for lack of a better word, as a matter of interest what do you call a couple who have a civil partnership ceremony seeing as it's not really marriage?) for a long time, but when/ if I do I'd like to keep it fairly small and somewhat casual.

Irish weddings as they are imo are pretty extravagant, much prefer the more laid-back European style. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I'm for a small private afair!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nelly1912 wrote: »
    yes with a CP the ceremony is optional, you can just sign papers and then you are declared civil partners or you can opt to have a ceremony! With marriage the couple have have to have a ceremony!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,705 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yes with a CP the ceremony is optional, you can just sign papers and then you are declared civil partners or you can opt to have a ceremony! With marriage the couple have have to have a ceremony!

When there's only the two witnesses, the registrar and the couple present, its not much of a ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Ah, thanks for indirectly answering my question! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nelly1912

hey thanks for that, for a minute i was thinking with cp you couldn't have a ceremony at all.

im glad, i think with me it would have to be a small ceremony with my close friends followed by a big bash. just need to find someone now ha :)

n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Yeah I'd invite family and close friends along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Pink Adoptions

Would someone do it differently "because it is not marriage"?

Or would they do it the same as civil marriage, because what matters is the public recognition and that their relationship is just as valid as any mix-gender couple's relationship?

Would you rather wait for civil marriage to "do things rights"?
    Or are you tired of waiting and you want your "gay wedding" now?

Advertisement