Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New built - thoughts please

Options
  • 16-08-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Intel Core i7-930 - 2.8 GHz - L3 8 MB Cache - LGA 1366 Socket

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - Socket 1366 - Chipset X58 - ATX

OCZ StealthXStream II 700 W PC Power Supply

WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green - 1 TB - 64 MB - SATA Hard Drive

Crucial Ballistix RAM – 1 GB – DDR3 1800MHz X 3 sticks

Corsair Hydro Series H50 - Liquid cooling system (CPU heat exchanger with integrated pump)

Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - GDDR 5

Going to load up Win 7 too. Hopefully picking it up this week. It's all paid for already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Intel Core i7-930 - 2.8 GHz - L3 8 MB Cache - LGA 1366 Socket

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - Socket 1366 - Chipset X58 - ATX

OCZ StealthXStream II 700 W PC Power Supply

WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green - 1 TB - 64 MB - SATA Hard Drive

Crucial Ballistix RAM – 1 GB – DDR3 1800MHz X 3 sticks

Corsair Hydro Series H50 - Liquid cooling system (CPU heat exchanger with integrated pump)

Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - GDDR 5

Going to load up Win 7 too. Hopefully picking it up this week. It's all paid for already.

The WD Greens are ''meh'' as a boot drive due to their design they are slower than most high end drives. And I'm not overly fond of any OCZ PSU's, Other than that, it looks great

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What are you doing with this build? To the naked eye it looks monstrously CPU- and mobo-heavy for a gaming system, but too RAM-light for a workstation... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Gaming, iTunes, watching movies, and general surfing. An all rounder really. I have an 8800GTx that my friend said he could set up as the physics engine, and the 5770 for graphics.

I have 4GB of Kingston memory, but I will sell these for more Crucial memory.

Then dare I say you're flippin' bonkers to go for an LGA1366 build much less stick in a HD5770 almost as an afterthought? :p

What's the budget for this? And what's your monitor's resolution? IMHO you'd be better off dropping "down" to a i5-750 and GTX460 build - your "inferior" system would probably give much better gaming performance and I doubt a slightly slower virus scan is going to be too much of a compromise! ;):p

What's wrong with the LGA1366? I had the 5770 in my old build, thought i would throw it into the new build. Old PSU couldnt keep up with it, so just thought i would upgrade everything.

• Advertisement

No budget just spent what i though would be enough, and a friends recommendation. Full HD res on a 22" monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What's wrong with the LGA1366? I had the 5770 in my old build, thought i would throw it into the new build. Old PSU couldnt keep up with it, so just thought i would upgrade everything.

Nothing's wrong with 1366, it's just high powered (and high budget) in relation to the slower hard drive and GPU. The green drive is good for storage, but not ideal an OS boot drive and playing games from - I usually see people considering SSDs or at least RAID to match with an i7.

If not an i5-750, then surely an i7-860? LGA1366 is pretty pricey! :o

i wanted to future proof the expensive components(mainboard/CPU/GPU.

I was recommended the Intel Core i7-920 - 2.6 GHz, but Komplett are a shower, and Pixmania had the 930 so i got that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

future proof

Intel
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Intel offers more than AMD can now. Wasn't like that a few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

:rolleyes:

Intel have been keeping the same standard assembly instructions in their cpu for 32 years.
    Without intel, we'd have to get different versions of an application every 2 days and for every pc we use.

Without Intel, we probably would still keep the same assembly instructions for practicality.

Without Intel, we wouldn't have to get a new MoBo if we wanted to upgrade our CPU a year or two down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Without Intel, we probably would still keep the same assembly instructions for practicality.

Not the way computing was going at that time.

What have I started?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

intel don,t do faulty chip,s they sell the to AMD and the become the phenom x4 :D:D:D:D

What have I started?

FANBOI APOCALYPSE!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its like a zombie apocalypse, only way scarier and not as funny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Solitaire wrote: »
    FANBOI APOCALYPSE!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its like a zombie apocalypse, only way scarier and not as funny :pac:

Oh noes ! :o :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

*gets in line, pulls out his holy cross and starts the exorcism ritual*
    i wanted to future proof the expensive components(mainboard/CPU/GPU.

LGA1366 - outdated within the next 12 months by LGA2011 (one of the Sandy Bridge).
    67129986.th.jpg

LGA1156, too, is going to be replaced soon (by LGA1155), but at least it's not such a big money dump, and with a 5770 you won't experience big differences between i5-700 and i7-900.

You want to use your 8800GTX for PhysX, do you play any games that can utilize that?

the 5770 for games...

• Advertisement

If you want to get the most out of your system, get that extra ram, get another faster hard drive and consider selling your 5770 and getting something better. Your motherboard has 3 PCI-E slots, so depending on the size of your 5770, the 8800 and their power consumption, you might be able to crossfire the 5770. I think you'd be better off getting rid of the 5770 and the 8800 and throwing in the GTX 480, which, as power hungry as it is, probably wouldn't consume as much.

It won't be 'future proof' in the sense of upgradability, but you shouldn't need to change it for a while.

The 5770 is literally brand new, I'm not now going to sell it at a loss. Maybe I'll get some more ram, but this will be after I put everything together, and see how it runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

If you want to save money on the cpu and motherboard. This ASUS P6X58D-E & Core i7-930 2.8GHz Is a fantastic deal, €440 for a i7-930 and a brilliant motherboard with USB3 and SATA3, with option of triple SLI(x16,x8,x8 or x16, x16, x1) looking around you would pay extra 50-150€ depending on the parts elseware

Columc wrote: »
    If you want to save money on the cpu and motherboard. This ASUS P6X58D-E & Core i7-930 2.8GHz Is a fantastic deal, €440 for a i7-930 and a brilliant motherboard with USB3 and SATA3, with option of triple SLI(x16,x8,x8 or x16, x16, x1) looking around you would pay extra 50-150€ depending on the parts elseware

He's already ordered the parts :)

Does anyone know off the top of their head if that motherboard I ordered can take 6 sticks of RAM. I have 3 sticks already ordered, and I could probably get another 3 to go side it.

Yes, it takes 6.

Sweet. Another 3 sticks purchased. All I need to pixmania to drop the rest of the stuff off :)

Advertisement